It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello everyone,
I has been a very long time since I have been on here or posted anything.
As some of you may know frpm my previous posts, I have an f1 bengal named Luca. I got him a little over a year ago. Life with Luca has been so amazing, I love him so much! He is a lot of fun, he has so much energy. Currently we have two cats; Luca, our f1 and Avi, our domestic short hair. Avi has 4 or 5 years on Luca and he certainly does not have as much energy as Luca does. The two still interact with each other and while I think Luca has been great for Avi (Avi is so much more active now that we have Luca), I think Luca may need another kitty to match his energy level. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with Luca daily and expending his energy but sometimes I think it would be nice if he had another friend who was as active as he is!
This has me seriously considering getting another f1 :eek:
I recently found out my breeder may have another litter soon and the coolest part about it is it's with Luca's mom and dad again. How neat would that be to have one of his siblings!?
I am not 100% sure that I should go through with it yet though. Do any of you that have EGs have more than one? How is that going?
I have never had a female pet ever but if I end up going for another f1 and there is a litter with females, i may like to consider a female this time around in hopes that she may bond more with my boyfriend because Luca has never bonded with him....at all. Ultimately I would love either !
Thoughts anyone??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome back, Emily!!! Gosh ... I wouldn't begin to know what to tell you. There could be pros and cons with this idea. My concern would be with Avi. Getting a second bengal could cause havoc with him. I know Luca has a ton of energy ... but sometimes the balance in the household goes the wrong way with another pet. But ... I do not know your situation and I've never been around your kitties. You have! I think only you can make this decision. Luca is older now ... accepting a new kitten may be harder. I'm a one-bengal, one-cat-at-a-time owner. Having three would drive me up the wall, but then I'm a much older person and I don't have the energy or patience. I remember how Luca was into everything as a kitten. It would be the same with the new F1. I know it sounds really exciting ... but decide carefully. Let us know what you decide.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mostly we say "you get the second cat this late, it's only for your own reasons not for the cat" tbh I don't really know about that.
We got a second cat (just moggies) when our first was around a year and a half. We excused ourselves with the need to see him have a friend - but really it was only us wanting a cat that would actually be home :/ The first cat ended up at the bottom of the hierarchy and became less playful.
Anyhow, I think Sherry is correct in her advice - you probably know best.
But I don't think you should assume that the new cat would bond with your boyfriend - it might just bond with you or your Luca. Unlucky but you can't really control it ;)
It can also be very stressful to introduce another cat - from what I've heard early generation tend to bond very closely to their human.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for your guys input and advice! We decided that we will get another f1 but want to wait a year or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That just puts Luca even older! I really hope it all works out for you. There is a recent post from a member who now has two F1's and both are doing great!!!