[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hi from Me and my 16 yr old Bengal (includes photos)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww. Bless her. She looks a beautiful girl. My boy, Merlin was 16 years old (young!) on 30th January, also.
He fell ill last year, and lost nearly 1kg almost overnight. Loads of a/b and tests, had some sign of crystals, but not significant. Bloods showed slightly elevated Urea. Kidney function good and all results in ideal range except the Urea / Ph (although Ph still in acceptable range). The Ph is managed by the S/O biscuits.

I have slowly got him back up by @.5kg, and he seems very happy and stable now. I poach him fresh turkey breast / chicken breast and give him this with some of the poaching liquor, alongside S/O Urinary Care biscuits and Gourmet Perle food. He always cleans the plate since I moved him to the Solitaire range, and seems to like the Beef or Rabbit in gravy versions best. The white sauce varieties make him sick. I also free feed him kitten biscuits - in a low grain formula - as they contain additional fats, etc, which help build him up.

I have found that he likes his food warmed nowadays - 12 - 15 seconds in the microwave, no more, and a good mix round before putting it down. Warming his food was the only way to get him eating the prescription wet when he fell ill.... and it has simply carried over....

Just be gentle and enjoy her for however long you have - She will find her balance weight. One supplement she will need to have is Taurine which you can get from the vet / pet shop - Or a lot of chew sticks contain a good level. I have had to realise that Merlin won't be here forever, and am enjoying every day with him as much as I can - He is a very pampered puss!

We are in a quite elite group nowadays, having 'elderly' Bengals, even if THEY don't / won't grow old gracefully...LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey nice to meet you,

Mina was 16 on the 28th January! small world, Its really nice to meet someone else with an elderly Bengal. I've found it really hard to find someone with one as most people have kittens or youngsters and I lost contact with Mina's breeder a long time ago.

I will try the taurine supplement as I had a suspicion I would need something to help keep her healthy. I see it as I'm lucky as I usually work from home so I can cook her a couple of meals per day and not worry about her feeling lonely. Although I do have an operation due soon and I am worried about how she will cope whilst I am in hospital for a few days. She has always been a very anxious cat and regularly walks around the house meowing to see where I am if she can't find me. I do find it hard to believe she's such an old girl sometimes though as she still plays like a kitten and whenever I get a delivery the box is hers no matter how small, she will always have to sit in it to give her approval, that's probably why her sudden decline was such a shock as I never expected it to be so fast, she still won't accept she's elderly even with her being sick.

I see it as I am so lucky to have had her as long as I have done, I still find it amazing she's managed to be around this long and she's seen me through so much as I got her when I was 18 and freshly living on my own. She is very spoilt these days and for what she's given me over the years, I see it as a very small thank you to her. She can have whatever she wants and hog my side of the bed every night, of course it doesn't help that my dog tries to do that also thank god they're both on the small side.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a beautiful girl you have there. good luck and hope you have a few more years together. You could maybe try some really good quality probiotics for her. I use protexin. I'm sure you are adding Taurine to her food already if you are making it yourself.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to this great forum. Mina is just beautiful! Congratulations on her reaching such a wonderful age. I know you are happy you didn't give up on her and that she is turning the corner and getting her health back. Hopefully, you will have many more great years with her. My bengal will turn 9 next month, so he's not yet a senior. Great knowing others on here have elderly bengals and can help you out. There are some great supplements out there that will provide the vitamins and taurine Mina needs. Your vet may have some recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome, it's great to see some older bengals! It gives us all hope.

It sounds like you are doing what you need to, to get her eating, which is great. As far as a longer term solution, you are correct in that you need to add supplements to make it a complete meal. I know some members do feed raw diet, so hopefully one or more of them will chime in.

For me, I'm actually feeding one of my 3 a raw diet right now, as she (Gaga) now refuses to eat any other kind of wet food. But in my case I'm using an off-the-shelf raw mix (RadCat). They have Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Beef, and Venison flavors. Maybe there is something like that where you live? Also there is a pet food store around here that sells all sorts of raw meats, and then the supplements ala-carte. If you go in there, they will tell you what supplements you need (bone meal and some other things).

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Old cats rock, except for their health issues.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey everyone,

Sadly I lost Mina not long after I made that intro post, she bounced back for a bit and then turned into a literal skeleton again so I thought it was best to let her go. I still miss her like crazy every day but considering she made it to 16 I was kinda ready for it, well as ready as I could be.

I am going to be picking up a new little girl at the end of July, I actually managed to track down a kitten who is related to Mina (well 8 generations back, thank you Bengal pedigree site) she's a little silver snow from a really great breeder, I really just can't wait to get her home and I'm just happy that I get a little bit of Mina back with her.

Once I bring her home expect lots of photos.

- Sarah
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

- Sarah

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so very sorry to hear about Mina. She lived a long life for a bengal and you will always have those happy memories with her. Happy to hear you will be getting another kitty! Can't wait to see pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As people asked for pictures I have a couple of the kitten I'm getting its between two little girls atm as the breeder is keeping one and I'm having the other.

Here are the photos I was sent of the two kittens at 3 weeks.

Kitten 1

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Kitten 2
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

She's going to be called Sylvanas, she looks like she's probably going to be a silver snow and she's from Junglefire

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Sarah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:33 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Sylvanas is very cute! I love the name since I am Forsaken ;)

You might want to make a new post for Sylvanas though since this one is a bit of a memorial for Mina.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Sarah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just love looking at pictures of beautiful kitties!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry for your loss. Mina will be at Rainbow Bridge with her friends and family, waiting for the day you are reunited. XX
I know the day will come when Merlin will cross the Bridge, and pray it is a while away yet... We had to say goodbye to Hover, our gorgeous, soft hamster yesterday, so it has given us all a quick, sharp reminder of mortality.