[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Microchip advice needed
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Microchip advice needed
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:25 pm 
Senior Bengal

So I decided to get Amara micro chipped but to my surprise she already is... her previous owners who I now have no details for (as I lost my old phone months ago) never told me she was or even hinted that she may of been. I have had to download a form and fill in change of ownership but they want the signature of the previous owners who the microchip is registered too before they can transfer the ownership.

As the people I bought her off never once mentioned her being chipped I am starting to worry that they weren't the ones who micro-chipped her and of-course I am now worried that she may be someones lost pet or worse stolen!

Apparently according to the micro-chipper I got out to chip her, that if I fill in the form the company will attempt to contact her previous owners to confirm they sold her on and then will go ahead with the transfer but what if they want to claim her back? Will the law be on their side and will I have to hand her back over or will the law be on my side as she has been in my care for nearly a year?

I know it may sound selfish of me but I really am scared to go ahead with the transfer incase I loose her but if I don't go ahead with it and she gets out and goes missing I may never get her back.

So the question I am asking... in the eyes of the law does a chip mean the cat belongs to you legally? and if yes, does that mean I would be required by law to hand my cat over if the person her chip is registered too wants her back?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Microchipping a pet is terrific, however, they only work if someone gets the kitty scanned to see if there is one. When people see a cat out roaming, they think it is an outdoor kitty, especially if you're in the UK where it is common to let your bengals roam outside. I do not know if it is possible to remove the microchip and insert a brand new one. The scenario you mentioned could be true! The kitty could have found a new home or have been stolen. The microchip company is protecting itself. You do not appear to know the name of the person who registered the microchip which is a huge problem. Unless you can track down the vet who did the microchip, you may be out of luck.

I did just search on removing a microchip and they are basically permanent and no vet in his right mind would attempt to remove it as the vet doesn't know the circumstances of the person who now has the pet. Pets who have been missing for years have been reunited with their original owners -- having gone through many owners in between. People don't always think to check for a microchip even when they take the pet to the vet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm 
Senior Bengal

I think I am just going to take the risk... Fill in the form, let the company contact previous owners and if they want her back then I would have to seriously consider the fact she was never mine in the first place and let her go home.

Hopefully the registered owners will agree to the transfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:45 pm 
Bengal Kitten

How did you pay for Amara? If it was by check then your bank might have a copy of the check with the name on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:00 pm 
Senior Bengal

I paid cash and it was too a woman nearly a year ago who was rehoming due to being unwell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sure IF this were a case of a stolen or missing cat that ended up in your hands, there are steps that would have to be taken by the authorities to have the kitty given back. However, you can't worry about something that may or may not happen. It's possible the microchip company has outdated information -- people do not tend to keep that information up to date if they move or get a new phone number. Too bad you don't at least know their name.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:49 pm 
Senior Bengal

I know Sherry I just think I am overthinking it... I did google a little and apparently if she is missing then it would flag up on the system and the owners would be contacted anyways and apparently if the previous owners fail to get back to the company when they try to contact them then they should just transfer without their permission.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are correct! Most microchip companies offer "lost pet" services and are notified if a pet is missing. I get alerts from Home Again on any missing pet in my area. However, it is really important that the microchip information reflect your name and phone number so you can be contacted in case she gets out again! So take whatever measures you need to get it done. If the microchip company is unable to contact the new owner, they need to simply transfer the microchip number to you. They could, possibly, contact the vet who inserted the chip and go from there. They may not want to spend much time on this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When I adopted Merlin, I was told he was not chipped. The vet fortunately scanned him, before sticking the needle in, and discovered he was already chipped. They gave me his tag number, and I contacted the microchip company. I gave them an account of when, where, who, I got him from, and they contacted the registered owner. She never replied, so after 6 weeks, they simply transferred ownership to me.

In the UK, a dog can be 'stolen' however a cat cannot - They are considered wild, and therefore cannot be 'owned' as such to become a material possession. If you have been paying - and can prove you have - all the vet bills, etc., then it is extremely unlikely police would be involved in a cat being returned to somebody simply because they suddenly say (after a prolonged period) that yes, they want the cat.... This would end up a civil matter in court.

Don't worry - just get the paperwork done and push them to transfer the records to you as soon as they can! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:50 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thankyou everyone... I contacted the company and filled in a transfer of ownership form but as of yet I have heard nothing back. I am assuming they are waiting on a response from the owner who the chip is registered too.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good Luck - It took 6 weeks for them to sort my transfer of ownership out, because the registered owner never bothered to reply! They have to allow them time to reply by law - If they don't reply or challenge the transfer, then it is a legal forfeit of any and all claim!