[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Clicker Training Tips and Techniques
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:05 am 
Senior Bengal

I can't say I've read any books on clicker training or taken a class, but I feel there's probably a wealth of information out there. For this thread I propose we share tactics or techniques for training our little trouble makers. I suggest this can be anything from a "trick" to a behavior. We've probably all done the behavior side to some degree. I imagine most or all of us have trained our cats to stay off the counters.

I've had pretty good luck with my girl. I've done the basics. Sit, stay, speak, and come here. I can get her to follow my fingers, shake my hand, beg, or even give me a high five. I've even trained her to "just smell" food that I put in front of her (she stops begging for whatever I have if she at least gets to smell it). I've gotten this down so well I can put her food bowl full of wet food in front of her and have her "just smell" it.

Is anybody struggling with a trick or behavior and just can't figure out what to do?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden is who he is at this stage! He usually ignores me when I call his name! It's HIS way or the highway for me! I think cats have enough intelligence to know when they should not be doing something and a simple "NO" stops them in their tracks. Ha ha ha! I'm not a fan of clicker training and would probably never use it. A cat is a cat is a cat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:52 am 
Bengal Kitten

I've just started clicker training and after getting them familiar with the clicker I am now starting with 'come', cause that one seemed pretty useful. Great job on teaching her so many tricks/commands! Could you maybe illustrate how you taught her some of the tricks? Very interested to know how other people do it and I'd love to learn some more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

YouTube is full of videos on clicker training cats. I just don't have the patience and I don't think Raiden does either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Do you click when they are doing something wrong to make them stop, or click after they do something right as a reward?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:34 am 
Bengal Kitten

I will take and tips you have on training you have haha. I haven't really tried teaching Zazu any tricks. He knows when he's not allowed to do something but usually listens to my husband more than his listens to me. I'll tell him to stop doing something and he will just stop and wait till i'm not looking to start doing it again. He can be very ornery and i've learned to pick my battles !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think most use the clicker to get the cat to do the trick and then reward them with the treat!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:59 am 
Senior Bengal

It seems most of us here don't really know much about clicker training. People usually use a mechanical clicker but I just use my mouth to make the noise. The idea is that you give the animal a command, and when it's done properly you click and reward. Eventually the animal associates the click with being rewarded and will do the commands even without rewards. I substitute pets for treats when I don't have them so she associates being pet with being rewarded.

Getting your cat to do the tricks you want can be tricky. Cats don't naturally do "tricks" on command because they don't have a pack mentality with a desire to please the leader of the pack. They do their own thingy and I'm sure we can all attest to that. My cat Lily and bengals in general though do really well because they really are an intelligent breed; similar to Maine Coones. I've had very good luck training lily and I'm teaching her how to lay down and roll over now. If your cat isn't leash trained there's videos online that can help you.

Look up some videos on YouTube to see what clicker training is all about. The easiest "trick" imo is to get your cat to "follow your fingers". At first, keep a treat in your hand, make sure kitty knows it's there, and rub your fingers as you move your fingers at knee level parallel to the ground away from kitty. Kitty will instinctively follow wanting the treat. That's called "capturing a behavior". When kitty catches up to your fingers, click and open your hand so he or she can have the treat. Rinse wash and repeat until you condition your cat to do it even when there isn't a treat in your hand.

if anybody has any specific questions or would like some help with a specific "trick" let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:24 am 
Bengal Kitten

Dionysus doesn't like treats or anything other than his normal dry food for that matter. Is there anything you guys can suggest for me to try as a positive reinforcement for my boy?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:31 am 
Bengal Kitten

I've been clicker training Kona (now 3 years plus) since he was about five months old. In *his* opinion, the day is not a good one unless it involves "training time."

His "tricks" to date include 'high five' paw presentation, handshake, sit, stay, lie down, roll over (two directions now), touch (two paws on object taller than he), "give me a kiss" (his nose on my cheek), sit pretty (sitting perched up tall on back legs) and wave (must be three waves of paw or it doesn't count!). He also jumps up on command and through a small hoop I found at the 99-Cent Store. We make "hurdles" by tipping chairs over on their sides and he runs a course involving three such hurdles and ending up on a high stool. Unfortunately, I have been *totally* unable to keep him from cruising kitchen counters...sigh...

We've found is just a happier cat--and more settled--when he has his training. We also believe that the wild kitten stage was mitigated somewhat with the clicker training--he's such a *smart* cat that I think working his mind to figure out the "behaviors" we set out for him truly helped to calm him and focus his actions in a more positive way (not that we didn't have several blips along the way!). While the initial food feedback (we use dehydrated chicken: http://www.amazon.com/PureBites-Chicken ... 96WD5MQDKX) was what Kona wanted, it quickly evolved into just enjoying the one-on-one attention from me and the chance to work his mind in a different way.

If you're even *thinking* of clicker training, I'd suggest this Yahoo group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cat-clicker/info It's filled with folks who clicker train for various reasons (fun, agility coursework, socialization of shelter cats) and they have lots of folks who post regularly with very practical tips. There are also a series of documents on different behaviors, the science behind clicker training and training pitfalls to watch for.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As a reward, you might try a piece of cooked chicken, if your cat is into chicken.