[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Companion for my girl – Yes or NO ?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey guys
It has been a while ..
Anyway, my babies have grown now and almost 4 years old now
Clive as he matured established himself more and more as “the only cat in the house” and we actually managed to accommodate it with him and between Indiya successfully.
Indiya however is another story – she is very sweet and loving girl and I feel she misses out on cat companion. She shares her time between us and Clive when he is in non dominant mood. But I feel she would wanted a constant companion to play and look after as she has so much love to share. Unfortunately this is so not for Clive.

What do we think ?
If we need a companion for my girl – can it be a puppy ( not a kitten) as I fear to rock a boat with Clive’s dominance

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't have experiences with cats and dogs together, but I would imagine Clive's boat will be rocked regardless of species.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would say if you have found a way for both Clive and Indiya to co-exist with Clive wanting to be the 'only cat in the house', I really wouldn't upset the equilibrium by introducing any further animals, dog or cat.

I have two neutered males and now and again I worry they would both be happier as only cats now that they are socially mature. I seem to be finding a way to manage them and keep them both happy but am becoming resigned that there will be on-going squabbles and attempts to be 'top cat'!

How have you managed the situation? Any tips gratefully received!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is always quite the dilemna whether to add another pet to the household. Many times, it goes smoothly. Many times it does not without some trial and error and lots of patience. If only our pets could talk to us, you could ask Indiya what she prefers! How do you know she is missing out on companionship? She has you and she has Clive when he's in the mood. I think we rush to the conclusion that our pets are lonely. That is not always the case. Perhaps she does yearn for a companion or playmate, but humans can play that role as well. Your kitties are older now and well adjusted. Cats love routine and schedules, so introducing another pet could be stressful to the kitties. I know my Raiden does not like puppies or dogs! In fact, he prefers being the ONLY cat in the household. I can't vouch for how bustling your household is or whether another pet would help or hinder any situation. Many members here have multiple dogs and cats and things work out fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would say that you have a really good thing going there right now and have done really well. You have two cats that live contentedly and peacefully together, so I wouldn't take that for granted. Bringing it another cat could cheese off either or both cats. And if you are bringing in another cat to be with your dominant bengal cat, that could be a disaster for the new cat. I would let things be. Even if your two cats are not interacting a whole lot, I think they do get some companionship, just by each other's presence. And they do have the opportunity to get to be closer friends as time goes on, if they feel that they need that. That's my $0.02.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's all on a knife edge lol the latest pictures where they are together grooming each other, that hasn't happened for ages! We had a really rough December with jagger bullying Hendrix, blocking him access to rooms etc, chasing him out of the house and cornering him. He wouldn't share anything and we very nearly had full on fights in the house, it was awful! I contacted a behaviourist in the end and her advice has really helped. Hendrix was a very unhappy cat prior to that but I didn't finish everything she told me to do last time. Just as I'd got things on an even keel, Hendrix got in the back of a van and disappeared for over two weeks, before we finally found him.

Going back to what Brian said about companionship just from the fact they know each other is there, has really made me rethink my concern they'd be happier as only cats. They were fine when Hendrix went missing, but I did think jagger would ultimately be happier, which concerned me as I was doing my utmost to bring Hendrix home and worried how the reintroduction would go! But he really missed Hendrix, I had to hand feed him for two days just to get food in him. He looked lost. And to be honest, during the day they're not in each other's pockets. They have their separate areas they go to and might cross paths coming in and out or if they are eating in the kitchen but that's it. It is probably the same for Indiya.

Poor Indiya and I know how you feel about wanting to give up work... I feel everything has been better lately as I've been home all Easter to keep things in check. Plus I guess they don't feel the need to compete for attention when I'm available all the time. Things are always tougher when Jon is back at sea! It all settles again when he's on leave as then he's home while I'm working. Bengals really need their human company that's for sure!

Maybe we all worry too much! I'm just hoping the happy vibes we currently have continue!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Laurel,

My two are outdoor cats, but they are devils for getting in vehicles that are left open. If I know something is happening at our end of the road, I keep them in. However, I wasn't told about the work next door was having done on their garage door and as workmen do, they left the van open on our shared drive while I was unaware at work. He got in, didn't get out in time before they closed it and drove off. He jumped out at their next stop 11 miles away. Next door told me no way he was in the van, the garage door people swore blind he wasn't in there. But I knew when I saw the new garage door that his disappearance was linked to it. Fortunately someone found his collar and called me which was how we eventually found him. They have trackers on them now!

Re the behaviourist, if Jagger starts bullying Hendrix (or vice versa!) I have to face the aggressor and chase him off. I was also advised to put them on Zylkene (a natural product, basically milk protein which calms them down), which takes a few days to work, but things improve pretty quickly afterwards. I was told to keep them on it for a month more once their good behaviour is back to ensure the brain is fully reprogrammed and then add a couple of drops of two bach remedies (cherry plum and willow) to their food and water as a back up for about 6 weeks. the behaviourist has Bengals herself and runs a Bengal rescue/rehoming service where people can't cope with them.

They are currently still on the zylkene (I started it again a couple of weeks ago when a load of hissing and growling started again) and they are getting on really well. I do have feliway plugged in as well. Obviously there will always be the odd squabble, just like children but I couldn't continue as it was in December, it was so stressful. They'd always been so bonded as kittens so it was heart breaking to see Hendrix so miserable from Jagger's tormenting.

So this time I will finish the treatment! I literally could have cried with happiness when they were laying on the footstool and my legs the other night and started to groom each other! It was just like old times.

Have to admit I do the fireplace trick as well! The heat from the wood burner has a lovely calming effect on them both and they go really dopey :lol: