[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Kitten from another Country
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello guys!
I am a complete newbie to the purebred scene XD (and the forum too)
But I hope some of you can help me out.

I live in teeny-tiny Denmark and have fallen in love with a kitten such as this:

A Seal Lynx Bengal - NOT for breeding

But alas this tiny country has forbidden the snow colors and the silvers from being shown, and the snows have fallen out of favor with the few breeders in the country :/
So I've been looking beyond the borders to UK and Sweden for my purrfect little kitten.
Luckily I have like, 6-12 months to find my kitten XD

So I wanted to hear if you guys have experience with buying from another country or with picking a kitten from only description and pictures. Is there any breeders you could recommend?
Is there any advice you could give me?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum! Buying a purebred kitten from a photograph and a description isn't the best way to get a bengal. I always recommend you visit the cattery in person. Shipping a cat from another country can present delays if the paperwork isn't completed properly. It can cause extreme stress on the kitten as the kitten is considered baggage. I know someone who's cat had been at the airport for hours and they were unaware because they thought the cat hadn't arrived yet. Nobody is going to care for the cat during that wait.

Obviously, you want a snow bengal. Google is probably your best source in trying to locate a breeder. What if there were an adult snow for sale? You have some time yet .... and take your time and do a LOT and I mean a LOT of research, including whether a cat must be quarantined when entering Denmark. I don't know the rules there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have heard a lot of good things about glitterglam bengals in UK. They have silverglam bengals too which is the breeding of silvers and snows etc. You could at least drive and ferry the kitten home rather than the stress of flying. Good luck

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

While not from another country, I did purchase both of my Bengal kittens from interstate. So I had to make my decision based on photos and descriptions alone. This was purely because I did not have a reputable breeder close to where I live.

If you have breeders within a driving distance, I really would recommend more than anything to go and visit them. I was somewhat lucky with mine. My girl is a dream, walked straight out of her crate and gave us cuddles and explored the minute we brought her home. Loves being picked up and cuddles and purrs right away, not scared of anything. Her breeders were highly recommended by everyone and I really trusted them. My boy on the other hand, not so much. He was very scared when we brought him home, would hide from us, run away if we approached him, would claw, bite and scratch. I unfortunately made the mistake of falling in love with a photo of him and buying him on the spot, rather than thinking the decision through. While he still is on the skittish side, lots of love has turned him into a very special, sweet, loving boy, who will even tolerate short cuddles.

If I had to make the decision again, however, I would definitely visit a breeder in person. You just get so much more information and insight that way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

While it depends where in Sweden you would find your kitty, its not that far from Denmark. If you have up to a year you can easily use your holidays or a few days off to go and check on some pre-selected breeders. It may be not so far away. I got my guys from a breeder who's 550km away and thats 4.5 hrs one way on the motorway. Where I live, it would be much closer to go to Portugal (anything from half an hour onwards), so a different country doesnt necessarily mean different world, especially in the EU.

Lily & Noha - Oct 7th 2015

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am in the UK and I have got all my bengals from a breeder called Jayuzuri bengals, they are lovely people the cats are all kept in emaculate enclosures, you can view every part of it excluding both parents, it's a nice home environment.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

As others have said please don't go by a photo.

A photographs (particularly a staged one) tells you very little and it could even be a photograph pinched from someone else.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you guys :) It's a bit troubling for me, since I can only travel around 90 minutes each way before it becomes too much time outside of my home (anxiety is a pain).
I did go visit a breeder that is very close to me - She seemed very professional and all her cats were just beautiful and loving. They didn't get much attention though, as she currently has three batches of kittens at various ages. Almost all were sold though. The demand is very high in Denmark.
But I was very unhappy to discover that she won't get any kittens until late autumn :/ I don't recon I can wait quite that long XD especially if I get lucky with housing.
She does work with a breeder in Sweden, not too far from Malmö so I can actually visit her! I have plans to do it next month :)

The breeder I met also told me it was less about their looks, once you realized that you wanted one - It was more about meeting the kittens and falling in love with one. That is the way to pick, she told.
Oddly enough, Marble kittens sell for less than rosetted ones.
Is there a way to tell if a marble kitten will be the kind of beauty you would love to show off, maybe even win in a competition?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so happy you were able to visit a breeder and at least see how a cattery is run! Know that if you want to "show" your cat in competition, you must have a "show quality" cat. They usually come from the Champion lines of bengals. A marble is a gorgeous bengal. There is nothing wrong with getting one. Many prefer them to rosette bengals. It's just a preference for you. Your original post said you had 6 to 12 months, so a litter in the fall would seem to fit into that time frame.

I do agree that, unless you are planning to "show" your kitty, it is more about falling in love with the cat. If this particular breeder doesn't have the time needed to help socialize the cats, you could be in for a problem. Bengals are very social creatures, but they have to get that from being with people, children and possibly other pets in the house. Know that no bengal should be released before 12 weeks. A breeder who wants them out of the house earlier is not a good breeder.

You seem to want a particular type of bengal, and that may not happen in the time frame you've mentioned. Since you have limited travel opportunities, you need to keep doing to research until you stumble upon a breeder and a bengal that works for you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've been in contact with a lot of breeders now - and I've narrowed it down, since I began to realize what my preferences were. I'm currently waiting to hear back from a breeder, very excited about that! She has some kittens born in my time-frame and they look very stunning - Just the type I want.
Fingers crossed that they will get back to me soon, hopefully with some better pictures and possibly video of the lovelies :)
(They're located in UK)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So, that didn't go too well - unfortunately they don't sell to other countries :/
Back to the drawing board.
Seems to be between Goldnglitz (UK), Glitterglam (UK) and Artness (SE)
But I have only been able to contact Artness once, she hasn't returned any of my mails.

UK delivery will be around 200£

It made me realize that I might just have to look at how much I am willing to spend to get my dream kitty ~ Very antagonizing.
I'm the kind if person who will beat myself up over which one to chose, cutting into my mood and sleep. Until I make a decision I will be grumpy :/ After that I will be ecstatic - some kind of Asperger thing I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Know that Glitterglam and Goldnglitz have been around for YEARS! They appear to be quality breeders! And I've heard only good things about them -- but google just to make sure there aren't a lot of negative reviews out there. At least you know you will not be scammed by either one of them!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:17 am 
Bengal Kitten