[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Who lives longest outdoor/indoor shocked by what I read!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just thought I'd google which lives longest outdoor or indoor cats. I was expecting to read indoor but was still shocked by what I read.

The first thing that popped up was:

"As evidence, indoor cats live longer than their outdoor counterparts. Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years".

Before I decided to keep cats indoors all of my cats in the past have been outdoors and most lived to a ripe old age one of them to over 20! So I was really shocked to read the above but I guess it could have more to do with where you live (busy roads etc) than general health?

I wonder if it was just down to general health which would live longest. Indoor cats not coming across any diseases etc or outdoor cats as they got more exercise etc.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

From what I've read, yes indoor cats live longer than outdoor, but outdoor cats will only live 2-3 years less than an exclusively indoor cat. Stray and feral cats are likely to live only 2-3 years total, due to issues with diet/nutrition, fighting other animals, not being vaccinated etc, contact with diseases and bacteria. Apparently strays are likely to live longer in a community of cats than on their own. Our family's outdoor cat who we got when I was 9 lived to 17 years old.

My understanding is that most road traffic accidents happen at night, when roads are quieter as cats are more likely to attempt to cross roads when they're less busy. I have no idea how true that is but my two definitely aren't allowed out at night.

It never ceases to amaze me that Hendrix managed to cross an extremely busy A road when he was missing and lived next to it for over two weeks. He clearly has more sense than I've ever given him credit for. I'm not sure how much longer he would have held out if we hadn't found him when we did, he hadn't eaten much so nutrition was going to seriously affect his life expectancy living exclusively outside (effectively as a stray) on his own.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A couple of weeks ago I was driving to work down a busy street not far from home. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a cat running full speed across a wide section of grass diagonally toward the road. I stepped on the brake because I could tell she had no intention of stopping and she shot across the road in front of my car! I was so relieved that I saw her coming and avoided hitting her. They can be so irrational it is scary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Know that everything you read on the internet is a generalization!!! Yes, some outdoor cats live only 5 years. But many indoor cats contract diseases that cause their lives to end before the age of 5. Some outdoor cats can live to see 20. Those are usually the survivalists who can beat the odds with anything. An indoor cat won't be subject to traffic, wildlife, other outdoor cats and dogs, poisons, neighbors who hate cats, children who like to maim cats, etc. I don't think you keep a cat indoors or outdoors based on what an average is in an article. A cat is going to live how long it's going to live. Owners generally keep a cat indoors for to keep their kitty safe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

One of the breeders we talked to mentioned that re. Bengals, as they have no road awareness or anything of the sort.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Most cats have no road awareness! There is a b/w cat that just lays in the middle of the road and cars have to stop or they will run over him! My Facebook feed on lost/found pets in Nashville lists many cats and dogs a day who are on the side of the road deceased.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, I can't believe either that Hendrix survived. It just goes to show that their natural instincts must kick in. I guess it helped that he must have been very nervous and afraid and so probably stayed mostly out of harms way. Still quite amazing.

My boys have both been neutered now so no excuse to keep them indoors. It's not so much the traffic that bothers me as we live in a semi rural village so not too bad but the neighbours. They are so snobby about their bloody cars, gardens etc that I wish they'd all sod off and go and live on an island somewhere!

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Neighbors who dislike your cats can be an issue! The best thing is to keep them inside, Debbie. One cat can do enough damage to plants cars, but two of them can do twice as much. It's important to get along with your neighbors. You get on the wrong side of them and anything can happen.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

LOL!
My boy (an 'outie' when he wants EXCEPT overnight) has just passed his 16th Birthday.
I have had outdoor cats all my life, with ages ranging from 9 yrs - right up to 23 years!
The 9 yo lost due to spinal injury of unknown origin. Possible kick / car at 3 yo...?
The 23 yo lost due to a well-meaning neighbour taking him to the emergency vet when he went into her garden for some sun.
The vet decided to put him on a drip, and it did for him... he was on meds, which the drip counter-acted, causing heart failure.

The others as follows: one at 13 yo, one at 14 yo, two at 15 yo, and one at 18 yo....

I think it is largely down to breeding and how good the food and general care of the cat is - If you ignore illness / injury because of vet costs, then this will shorten the lifespan considerably, even if an apparent full recovery is made. Genetic or hereditary issues will impact, as will weight and nature. We had one obese cat, who barely ate any food, she had a stroke at 13 and passed a couple of months later. Her sister, who was always healthy, passed at 15, from cancer of the intestine.

It really is the luck of the draw, and if their number is up.... Merlin says I'm such a soft touch that when he goes, he's going to give Rainbow Bridge a miss, and is coming back to haunt me.... And I believe him! :wink1:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Jo, how sad about your 23 year old cat :sad:

He must have had a wonderful life though.

I agree about the neighbours. We unfortunately have an alcoholic neighbour across the road from us and he recently had a visit from a Police Officer when my next door neighbour complained that he had been firing pellets at her cats.

He also went totally mental at my dh some years back because our cat got trapped in his house. He is forever leaving his front door/garage etc wide open and then complains and is aggressive with the neighbours if their cats wander in.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The b/w outdoor cat I'm taking care of (since June of last year) has always been at the back door in the morning for breakfast. The only two times he missed were due to being locked in garages. He was gone all night last night again and not here in the morning. I just freak out! And I think the worst has happened to him. I text his owner and 5 minutes later, he comes running to the back door. I have surveillance cameras around the perimeter of my house so I can see his coming and goings and he's always here a few times during the night. When he's gone, I know he's gotten himself shut in somewhere and I have to wait until they let him out in order for him to return to my house. He loves to investigate open garages. He is going to be the death of me and he's not even MY cat! He's only five years and I think he's down to a couple of lives left.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yea, I have an "outdoor kitty" too. She's this very sweet, very friendly cat named Sadie (she has a collar). She belongs to my idiot neighbors. But she is basically outdoors all the time. Rain or snow. And she frequently comes to me, fur matted, sometimes cold and wet, and always hungry. She crosses the street all the time, and sometimes sits out in the street :rolleyes: They already lost one cat (a really great cat btw). I try to get Sadie out of the street at least, but honestly it's only a matter of time :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's so sad to read about those neglected cats.

They always seem to have such great personalities too and their owners don't deserve them!

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

In my case, the owners LOVE their kitty, however, the kitty's brother will run him off the property when he comes back to eat and will not allow him in the garage. This b/w kitty does not want to stay in their house and become an indoor cat. They have 4 outdoor cats, 5 indoor cats and several ferals that they feed and take care of. They all get their shots and are fixed (except the ferals she is trying to trap).

I've provided heated shelter as well as food and water and I give this kitty kisses and hugs and lots of pets and head scratches. The owners are looking for a lot of land so they can provide more room for their kitties and, hopefully, take Long Legs with them. Plans are for a large cat enclosure for the outdoor cats and then a smaller outdoor enclosure that attaches to the house for the indoor cats.

Neglected cats are another story! Most cats love attention. And they will seek it out from someone else if they can't find it at home.