[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Outside in the cold
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Outside in the cold
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My bengal is almost 3 years old, and I've had him for 8 months. He has gotten out a few times before but he never went far because I always noticed immediately and the first thing he would do is eat the grass.

My boyfriend came home from being on the road and, seeing as he was so tired, didn't even notice when Blaze snuck past him to get outside. Two hours later I noticed he was missing. It's 7 degrees outside and very windy. I can't find him anywhere. He is chipped but there's no collar because my boyfriend took it off him and lost it.

My home feels empty without him here - is there any tips on how to get him home safely?

Post subject: Re: Outside in the cold
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, you need to take a deep breath and stop panicking! Your baby is probably quite close to home. Those who are indoor cats and get outside, don't usually go far unless they are scared away. And cats do seek heat in the cold. They recommend sprinkling some used litter around your front door. If he has any cat beds that he uses, place one outside. A cat's sense of smell is 14 times stronger than ours. Contact the microchip company and report him missing. They will usually notify local vets and any neighbors who have signed up to be notified of a missing pet. You also need to make flyers and distribute them around your neighborhood. My greatest fear may be that he will slip into an open garage or shed to seek shelter from the cold and wind and end up being locked up inside. You need to be outside looking and calling for him, with the stinkiest food you can think of that you kitty likes. If you go out after dark, carry a flashlight that will reflect the kitty's eyes. Know that many times, your kitty will return home on his own. It can take hours or sometimes days. A neighbor's cat spent 3 days in the closed garage when my next door neighbor went out of town and as soon as the next door neighbor returned home, the kitty was at my back door hungry.

I have an escaper, too, and we have to be extra careful to make sure he is not near any doors when they are opened! Thankfully, he knows the neighborhood from our walks and from being a free roaming cat for six years, but I still do not want him outside to tangle with any of the other neighborhood cats.

I truly hope you find him. Do not give up and stay diligent. Keep us informed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've just been through this so my heart goes out to you. I got Hendrix back though after two and a half weeks of him being missing.

Go to 'Discussion' and my thread is there - HENDRIX IS MISSING - PLEASE HELP.

There is excellent advice from fenstar on page 2 as to how to find your missing cat.

Another thing to do to get the scent of home outside to help Blaze home is to put out clothing you've been wearing or another thing is to put outside the stuff you Hoover up when cleaning as that gets the scent of home out there. If he is an indoor cat he may only be a couple of houses away, but is scared and not sure where he is. He will seek shelter. We had terrible weather while Hendrix was missing, freezing and storms etc. Hendrix managed to survive by a very busy main road 11 miles from home as he'd got in a van and that never ceases to amaze me.

Get leafleting, it was a response to a leaflet that got Hendrix home, everyone needs to check their sheds and garages etc.

Please keep us informed and I wish you all the very best in finding Blaze. Do not give up, he is waiting for you to find him xx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm hoping the poster will return and let us know that they have found the kitty! I thought about lashing into the boyfriend, but you did it for me, Brian! LOL. Raiden slipped through my legs the other night when I opened the back door. I honestly didn't look to see where he was before I opened it. Thankfully, it was raining and he wasn't interested in being out there for more than a millisecond. I grabbed him and brought him back inside. These bengals are so fast!!!! But, I agree, that the kitty could be somewhere inside the house and has since come out of hiding. Raiden will get under our bed at times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:42 pm 
Bengal Kitten

As of right now he's still lost to me :cry:

I've put signs out and alerted some of my neighbors that know me. I'm out every day and I stay up all night in case he comes to the door overnight.

As for the boyfriend, it wasn't on purpose and as soon as we realized Blaze was gone he was the first one out the door searching for him. He's just as heartbroken as I am - Blaze was his cat. We have two, Blaze and Zero. Zero has been mine since she was two weeks old. Blaze we adopted from a shelter - The boyfriend is the one who picked him out. Don't be so hard on him - he works 14 hour days and he's only home 2 days a week. He feels horrible.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry Blaze isn't home yet.

You really need to put leaflets through every door in the immediate vicinity, I did our road, the two roads behind us, and the next roads to each side. He may have been chased, sought shelter and got locked in somewhere. Hendrix pretty much stayed put as he didn't know the area he was in and was scared. So Blaze could easily still be very near by.

Have you phoned the local shelters? The microchip company? I sent leaflets to all the vets in a 5 mile radius so they knew to look out for Hendrix, with pictures showing his markings etc. Pet shops are also a good place to put up posters. I did the same when I knew he was 11 miles away. Have you posted on Facebook? Registered him on lost pet websites? One of the sites I went on offers advice as to how to find your lost pet, can organise leaflets and posters that are waterproof etc and provide a link to provide a list of vets in your area. Obviously the printing wasn't free, but I could claim through hendrix's insurance. His insurance also offered the incentive of a reward that was also mentioned on the posters. I'm sure there will be a site like that where you are as well.

People really want to help, I didn't know many of our neighbours at all. But many have been to see me, offering advice and checking in to see if I'd found him.

I know it's hard, and I was out at work every day, using lunch times and evenings to leaflet and put up posters, trying to keep his brother settled as he missed Hendrix and was finding it hard with his routine disrupted etc. I also know how lucky we've been, but there are many happy endings out there, and I truly hope Blaze will be one of them too.

Keep trying and my thoughts are with you xx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One other thing, google 'missing pet partnership'. This site will tell you how your lost cat will behave etc and how best to recover an indoor only cat that has escaped outdoors - ie your situation.

I really hope Blaze is home soon where he belongs.

Wishing you all the best in your search x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Make sure you contact any local veterinarians -- send them a flyer with a picture in case someone brings the kitty in, mentioning the kitty is microchipped. Also, if you are on Facebook, see if there are any lost/found pet pages in your area. Ask to join if they aren't public and post the information and picture on your kitty. Some areas are on Nextdoor.com as well. The more people you can reach, the better your chances that someone will recognize her. Cats are really good at seeking out warmth, so I wouldn't be too worried about her being out in the cold. You just want her home. Cats have managed to wander back home after weeks on the streets. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope Blaze comes home soon (((hugs))).

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie