It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats wrong with him?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

I’m hoping someone here could offer me some advice.

My one year old Bengal is, typically, an insanely active and hyper cat that loves his food (I’m talking tries to eat it before you’ve even finished emptying the sachet).

In the last two days, he has been a lot less active, no longer sprinting up and down the house, will play if prompted, but more significantly, not overly interested in food. This morning he turned his nose up at it.

I took him vet this morning, who checked him over – felt his body, and said his abdomen and neck felt fine, he had no temperature, his heart sounded good, so we are at a loss as to what could be bothering him. My husband thinks im overreacting a little bit, and says cats will have off days, but for him to be off his food isn’t normal.

The vet gave him an anti-sickness injection in case he was feeling sick, and a sudden discovery of fleas were treated too.

I just wondered if anybody had any experience of this, or had an idea of what it might be? The vet has said to see how he goes, if need be they will do blood tests etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like all your vet did was a physical check up. There is so much more to diagnosing than that. A stool sample, urine sample and blood work should have been done to rule out any type of medical condition. Those tests will show how the liver and kidneys are functioning, see if there are any parasites looming in the digestive system, blood sugar level, urinary tract infection -- just so many things that allow the vet to rule out certain issues. I would have had those tests run at that time, rather than having to bring you kitty back. Know, too, that my bengal became lethargic and wasn't eating. I took him into the vet and spent $330 on him to find that nothing was essentially wrong with him. 24 hours later, he was back to normal with no type of medication. I guess cats can catch a virus as well. If all tests come back normal and the behavior continues, then it's time for x-rays, CT scan, ultrasound, etc. It gets extremely expensive. But, since your kitty can't seem to tell you what's wrong, you're forced to go the testing route. Hopefully, whatever it is will clear up on its own and he will be back to normal soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for your response. I actually took my kitty back to the vet this morning for a recheck, at the suggestion of yesterday's vet. She did the same checks, all fine.

I totally agree with you, she said If by Monday Toby is still off his food then to bring him back for X Ray's and blood tests.

He does seem much better today however, the vet suggested bland food for now, and piglet was snatching the bits of chicken from his bowl before I'd even finished! In 24 hours I've spent £120 for essentially no diagnosis. If by the end of the weekend he's no better he will be going back for tests.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If he had fleas, hes possibly anemic which could explain the lethargy and loss of appetite. Im glad he ate some cooked chicken though! I also think that if he doesnt bounce back in the next day or two, request lab work (ie; stool sample, urine sample, bloodwork, etc) be done to further look for an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm really surprised with your vet. Getting a cat to eat is a necessity before Fatty Liver Disease sets in which cannot be reversed at a certain point. When my kitty refused to eat, the vet sent me home with two cans of bland food and a syringe to force feed Raiden. Thankfully, 24 hours later, he was eating on his own again. I know all veterinarians are different and maybe you told them you didn't want to spend a lot of money. Thing is, cats can get sick quickly, and it can become very bad quickly to where there is no treatment to save your kitty! Most vets are going to charge you for every visit -- at least for another exam! I would have paid for the main tests -- I know it's expensive, but when you have pets, they can cost a pretty penny when they get sick. You want your kitty to feel normal again and I know your kitty wants that, too. I am overly cautious when it comes to my bengal. Thankfully, we have an emergency vet 24/7, 365 days a year, with an ICU for pets. They are super expensive, but peace of mind doesn't really have a cost. You know when your usually active bengal isn't feeling right. I think you need to see some improvement in him in order to not have to return him to the vet again. It's extremely stressful for a cat and every visit just adds to that. Good luck! I hope it's nothing serious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:09 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I definitely never mentioned money to my vet. It's expensive yes but I would pay whatever it takes. Toby is also insured so he would be covered anyway. My primary concern is his health and well being.

I'm pleased to report that as of today, Toby is back to his usual self, wanting food all the time, attacking house hold objects, and wanting to play. I guess the first poster was right, sometimes cats do get little virus's etc that can effect them for a day or two.

Luckily, Toby is nothing like he was on Friday at his worst. Should he change again be will be going right back to the vets.

Thanks everyone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So happy to hear this. Sometimes, cats can catch a bug! Just like humans.