[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Who is the boss out of your multi cat households?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

As some of you know I have two adorable black rescue kittens Jasper and Oscar.

Jasper is very big in comparison to his brother Oscar and I was expecting him to be the more dominant of the two.

At first every time they played we worried about small delicate looking little Oscar but it soon became very clear that Oscar is the instigator of pretty much every play time and the more dominant of the two.

When they play with Flying Frenzy it's very funny to see Oscar who is so little grabbing the 'bird' in his mouth and growling at Jasper not to come near him or else! Jasper will always immediately back off.

Jasper is a very laid back. and I'm afraid to say quite lazy kitten. Whereas Oscar will be leaping and flying through the air trying to catch the 'bird' Jasper prefers to just lay on his back with me jiggling it around for him so he can bat at it with his paws.

I've given Jasper (always under supervision) one of the refills to play with on it's own and he loves to just play with it in his paws licking the feathers. He is so lazy lol.

Who is the boss out of your cats?

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Used to be Hendrix but I think its Jagger now!

Debbie, flying frenzy also make 'reward toys' so its the feathers but no hook attachment so they are safer to play with separately than the refills. they are out of stock at the moment as I'm keeping my eyes open to get some more - there is a website called 'purrs in our hearts' which you can order from direct or they also operate with Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I "officially" only have one cat, but there is Long Legs, a moggie, who is outside. Raiden is the boss, definitely. Legs is so sweet and so non-confrontational. It's cute when he follows Raiden and me on our walks. I have a cat on the left, and a cat on the right, and hope Raiden does not cross over and kill Legs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I assumed that Grace was in charge of all of us including me. Lately though I wonder if Blondie might be boss. She sleeps on the bed with me and on the chair in the livingroom. She never lets me out of her sight when I am at home. She even gives up outside time to stay inside and follow me around. I am not sure who is in charge, all I know is it's not me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I couldnt say with my 2! I always expected it to be Maasai because he is the bigger and stronger of the 2, but Spider has such a strong little character. At this point neither of them seems dominant though and hasnt since I picked them up really. Maybe this will change as they get older. They have recently started spending a little more time apart doing there own thing, which they never did before, but I love the idea of them just being best buddies!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

No question at all, it's Serafina, who always has the highest perches, naturally. She's got no use for anyone who doesn't obey her commands. She'll even growl at me if I dare try to nudge her over to make room for me in the bed or the like. And there will be hell to pay if another cat is sleeping somewhere she would like to sleep, or using a toy she wants to play with.

Still, that said, she's definitely a daddy's girl. She's become very affectionate and often comes to me with a big purr now, plopping down right in front of me until she's had enough petting and scratches under the chin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ha ha love the idea of her growling at you Brian lol.

Maybe Oscar is not 'top cat' it's just that Jasper is such a laid back dude!

I think Oscar has a huge hunting instinct which Jasper hasn't got as much. Oscar goes literally crazy when I get the flying frenzy out that Jasper can't get a look in. He is extremely fast and agile whereas Jasper is bigger, heavier and so less athletic.

Clare, thanks for the tip about the individual ones. I need to get some of these for the two of them as I'm sure they'd love them.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I love that cat tree, Brian!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Babbage is the boss in my place - he established dominance early on and Ada seems to be completely OK with that - there has never been any hint of a challenge. That said, dominance seems to be conditional on place and circumstance.

Whenever a toy comes out Babbage is always all over it without giving it a second, or I think sometimes a first thought. Ada always looks to him to see if he's going for the toy and stays back if he might be, even though she is a more high-energy cat than him and probably needs the play time more. That means that to wear Ada out I have to first wear Babbage out, then encourage her to start playing THEN start the process of wearing her out. She always holds back and lets him get the attention/play/best spot - in this way I think that she'd have been better off as an only cat*, but this is more than made up for by the way they play and snuggle up together.

When it comes to high places, she seems to want to be queen and is rather upset ( not to the point of making an issue of it ) when he jumps up into her high-up places - the swing is hers, and when he jumps up to have a look she'll jump up with it and give the cat version of "AHEM, what are you doing?" he always jumps down and then she will too.

With food she is always first to the bowl and won't share - if I put nothing in his bowl he'd have to wait until she was finished and there wouldn't be anything left other than the shine on the bowl at that point.

* maybe I am looking at this as a human rather than a cat, I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Truthfully, I don't think I could handle two indoor bengals! Raiden is a handful at times. But I so love reading all the great stories of your bengals and kitties co-existing together.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They are sometimes a handful, but other times they are really quite adorable and really easy to live with - there was a bit of sunlight today ( very rare on a winter's day ) and I had a snooze on the sofa for an hour - Ada came and laid out on top of me with Babbage on the back of the sofa, half upside down. I could put my hand out and tickle the underside of his paw with the tip of my finger.

They are now snoozing together in a basket - very sweet, but I do know what comes after an afternoon of snoozing - Zoomies!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden has already had the zoomies this morning and walked on his cat wheel and had his walk in 32 degree temps. Now, it's nap time for him (and, I wish, ME).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:44 am 
Bengal Kitten