[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Introducing a puppy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Introducing a puppy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey guys. I'm hoping I can maybe learn from your experiences regarding this. I totally fell in love with the bengal breed when I discovered them, just like most of you Im sure, but I also have a bit of a love affair going with the idea of owning a siberian husky. I'm considering, not right away, but also not too far into the future, adding one to my dysfunctional brood! Has anybody introduced a puppy to their bengals and how did it go? I wouldnt expect things to be plain sailing but I honestly have no idea how they would respond to a puppy being brought into the house. I think that huskies are so beautiful though and they intrigue me in much the same way as the bengal breed grabbed my attention. It would be great to be able to have the best of both worlds!

Post subject: Re: Introducing a puppy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would be wary of introducing a husky to your home. They are VERY hyperactive and vocal as well as difficult to train. Have you had experience with huskies before? Do your neighbors live nearby where the howling will bother them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just going to be brutally honest here... huskies are beautiful dogs...but they have ALOT of issues. Ive personally owned one that Id adopted from a shelter. Im a very experienced dog owner and trainer, but I couldnt handle her at all. She attacked and killed my parents cats and ATE a new litter of kittens. Not even kidding. She attacked and killed my show rabbits (who were inside their raised hutches...she drug them through the wire floors!). She attacked and killed my show chickens. She refused to housetrain. She refused to come when called, walk on a leash, sit, or anything else normal dogs do. She howled all night long every single night. She shed like CRAZY. She dug holes. She chewed up anything she found. She was the Dog From Hell. I ended up surrendering her back to the shelter. It was that or put her down myself. While at the shelter, I ended up adopting a very sweet dachshund with a broken leg. HE was a fantastic dog. I do NOT recommend the breed at all. Owning one was a terrible experience.

Dobermans....AMAZING dogs.

German Shepherd....one of the best breeds.

Rottweiler....LOVE them.,

Labradors....kinda dumb to an extent, but wonderful dogs.

Cowdog breeds... (McNab, Heeler, Aussie, Border Collie, etc) All AMAZING breeds.

Dachshund...very fun breed.

Personally, Id find a different breed to bring home. Just as soon as we have a home with a backyard, I will be getting an AKC female German Shepherd pup. Already have her name picked out and everything. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

At the risk of getting chewed out....I would never have a German Shepherd. They have a strong inclination toward turning on people, even their owners. A mixed breed inclusive of a Shepherd is ok, but not the purebred dog.

I have, admittedly, little experience with introductions of puppies to kittens but we do have a Samoyed. This breed is so docile and submissive, as well as stubborn, yet trainable, that I would certainly recommend it for someone looking for a puppy to introduce to a resident cat.

Having said all of this, every dog is an individual. They are capable of extraordinarily unique behaviors. I would certainly avoid prey-driven breeds, however.

Our Samoyed is elderly, 12 years old, and I am not sure if I would even try to introduce a new pup to our resident cat. I'm not even sure it would be fair for him.

I guess we will cross that bridge when we arrive there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have never been a dog person but have owned dogs. They require a lot more care and upkeep than a cat! I know whenever Raiden sees a dog on a leash (even from very far away), he stops and watches carefully! He has attacked a boxer that came running out a house and straight up to Raiden. Puppies are energetic (even more so than bengals, I believe). A lot of bengals and dogs co-exist -- but it's not something i would do. A husky would get much larger than your kitty -- perhaps having been raised with a cat, things might be fine, but dogs do attack cats (and humans).

I hated reading your experience with a husky, Deputy! That was just a horrible ordeal for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:42 am 
Bengal Kitten

German Shepherds or GSD are some of the best dogs in the world my wife and I are on our third GSD so far and love the breed. That they turn on their owners is a bunch of BS ours have never shown us nothing but love and will whine and cry if they feel their not getting enough attention. They are around 5 cats 2 outside and sometimes inside and 3 inside including our Bengal Rocky.an often you will find 2 GSD's and 1 to 3 cats cuddled up together sleeping. my female GSD loves rocky and you will fine them grooming each other. The other day a family friend came by and wanted to pet rocky which she was sure about having never met this person she ran to my GSD Greta and got behind her every time our visitor tried to touch Rocky Greta would block them with her body. She never growled or anything just wouldn't let her touch Rocky cause Rocky didn't want her to touch Her. Our male Hanz's loves Cookie the outside and inside cat.it was pouring rain and Hanz's begged to go out once outside he went to the shed we have fixed up for the outside cats and barked Cookie came out and together they ran to door to be let in after getting in Hanzs groomed cookie to help him dry off and then they cuddled up together and went to sleep. Sound like a dog that will turn on you a lot of this got started when GSD's were the hot dog to have poor breeding and rising caused a lot of problems same as it has for other breeds. Now as to getting a puppy first what ever kind of dog you want do your research and find of what the breed was meant to do.an also understand you will need to spend time and train the puppy good canine citizens are made with time and love. Once you get the puppy let they see and smell each other though a fence or screen so they can get to know one another. We also gated off one room with a opening that only the cats can go though in that room is their food and litter boxs. I have had dog cat teams for almost 20 years and it's amazing how close they become I had a female rottie that took charge of caring for abandoned group of kittens we still have one from the litter.when our beloved rottie Katja left us to cross the rainbow bridge for a couple of days and nights after Saber ( short for saber tooth) wondered the house crying for her mommy Katja.so get a good dog for your needs take your time and let them get use to each other and you will see amazing friendship grow. all our furbabies are rescues or were just dumped off near our place and have become good members of our family. Would posted more pic's but most are to big for this forum. This picture was right after Hanzs went out to bring his pal in from the rain.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've seen a gazillion pictures of dogs and cats snuggled together! It can work! Dogs have different personalities and many get along very well with children, cats, and other dogs. You just don't know! I am not a fan of pit bulls, but I've been around one that licked you to death and then you hear about one attacking and killing someone.Thankfully, the homeowners in my subdivision are diligent and keep their dogs on a leash or in a fenced yard. But none that I know also have a cat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Interesting post! I know a woman that has 4 bengals and she had a poodle. She had to give her poodle away because she didn't have enough time for the dog because she has the bengals. My two girls also always stop and watch a dog when we are on walks. Now I am not a dog owner,the only dog we had was when we were children. So I don't know much about owning a dog. I also don't know how the cats would react to a dog in the house.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for your posts everyone! Its great to hear what you guys think, but I am already pretty set on the breed in spite of the challenges which may lay ahead! It wont be right now but when I have bought a house large enough to accommodate all of us and I can make sure there is enough space for the husky to be a husky and Spider and Maasai can carry on being their crazy selves with plenty of room for everyone! Ideally I would love to integrate us into one big happy family though and I am led to believe that there are breeders that rear husky pups in cat friendly households so I wouldn't buy one from anywhere else. It was really your experiences of how your bengals reacted to a puppy being introduced that I was hoping for, because I really do have no idea how they would be! They have never even seen a dog and obviously their welfare is my absolute priority. Its an ambitious idea I know but as much as I am more of a cat person, and always have been, I do love dogs as well!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sure you can find a breeder that integrates their huskys with kitty cats. And since you plan to buy a puppy -- and the puppy will grow up with the other pets, that may never be an issue! I do believe a lot of behavior issues come with the environment the animals are in. So, a stress free household, with calm pets can produce a happy situation. It's great you want to make sure you have enough room and plenty of space for each pet! That's ideal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I brought home my first dog, an irish setter puppy, in June. My two bengals have taken a long time to accept her presence, and managing their relationship has been hard going. Eight months down the line things have settled, they all tolerate each other but aren't "friends". Irish setters are considered a breed that can live well with cats if raised with them.

Husky is obviously a different kettle of fish. A much more challenging breed than I have, they need a job, are not at all recommended for first time dog owners, and have a high prey drive. I hope you are very experienced bringing this type of dog into a home with cats! Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I spoke to my sister in law yesterday. She works by the vet but she is also a dog trainer and an animal psychologist. Her opinion is that having a husky is alot of work and she personally wouldn't get one when cats are around. But like Sherry mentioned, I also find it good that you are waiting till you have enough space. And if you can get a husky puppy that's been around cats would be better.I love all animals. I would even want a dog a great Dane if I was able to. The problem is in the apartment we live there are no dogs aloud. We will even have problems with the cats if we ever move because most of the apartments don't allow animals. Oh i only don't like spiders and crocodiles..swimming in a cage with a crocodile was enough for me and my nerves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I grew up with dogs in the house and i just love the relationship you can build with them. Granted not a husky, but I looked after a friends Akita for 6 months as well when they went travelling a few years ago and she was a real challenge at the start.....but I managed to assert my dominance over her and we never looked back. I am willing to put in the time and energy because its totally worth it when you reach a point of mutual understanding and they know where their boundaries are. Getting a puppy will make that easier too I hope! Im just concerned for Spider and Maasai. I don't really want them to just tolerate a new dog, but I have no real control over that. They will decide and Ill be made aware of their feelings after I have taken the plunge! I am cautiously optimistic now though that we can make it work in the right house and with enough care and attention. Maybe Ill just have to spoil them all rotten for a while! lol. Thanks for your advice guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You would like my Spider Genevieve! :biggrin: