[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Help! How to get Jagger to share the cat tree?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi all

Jagger is totally monopolizing the new cat tree. He is using the middle bed and Hendrix has always used the top bed on the previous one, and that is where he occasionally will try to get to... however if Jagger is around and spots this he immediately runs over to defend 'his' territory. In fact, Hendrix was using the posts for a scratch yesterday, and again, Jagger ran over and gave him a slap. Obviously I need this to stop as things have improved greatly at home over the last week or so and this is the main trigger now that can get things out of hand again.

In fact, last night Hendrix was in the front room when Jagger went into the room to settle down and he wasn't even thrilled about that! There was some chasing and they somehow managed to knock the shelf down on the TV stand where the blu-ray player and Sky box and other gadgets were. Which distracted them from their squabble but I was not happy! Took me ages to sort it out as I had to disconnect everything to get the shelf back on.

I am moving the bookcase behind the tree today to allow better access to the top bed without going via the middle one where Jagger likes to hang out. The bookcase is just a bit higher than the middle bed and then its an easy jump to the sofa. I'm only allowing access to this room when I am home to avoid any fights, but if anyone has any tips as to how to help Jagger 'share' the tree it would be appreciated.

I'm intending to have the wood burner going as that tends to get Jagger in a dopey state for starters and I'm hoping Hendrix can nip up there before Jagger even notices lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare - take a deep breath, dig deep for the credit card and (gulp) buy another one. I really think it's the only way. I know these particular trees are hideously expensive. Just think of it as the price of a week or two's shopping. It's a small price to pay for harmony. It's going so well and you want to keep it that way. Jon is away and will never notice there are two trees when he gets back........honest! :wink:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm not sure if this would just make the situation worse but my initial thought was that if he kicks off remove him from the room for a sort of 'time out' every time he does it.

He may eventually link the two together and decide not to do it anymore.

If only it was that simple!

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Melissa and Brian said what I was going to say -- buy the same cat tree for Hendrix! Sometimes children do not like to share so you buy that same toy for the other one. Same with cats. You've got a situation that is quite unique but not uncommon! Sometimes, it's easier to give in and make both kitties happy than try to settle things. You are going to go insane.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, they will have to wait for a second tree if need be, my credit cards won't take anymore expenditure right now lol. I'm not sure if that won't be a step too far for Jon either!

Mind you, I have visions of him patrolling between them and guarding them both! Even the old one which is now in the conservatory and was previously happily shared, he jealously guards and jumps up on if Hendrix has gone on it, to regain possession. Poor Hendrix, he doesn't get a look in!

I've moved the bookcase and will see what happens, jagger thinks it's great as he can just step into his bed now. Hendrix is happy enough at the moment that he can now come on the footstool again as jagger had been monopolising that before the new tree arrived. He looks now and again but seems to decide the hassle isn't worth it.

Jagger has turned into a right little monkey!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oops the plan has just backfired! Jagger has used the bookcase to jump into the top bed and has now settled in there! Hendrix was too slow :sad:

I guess another tree is going to be a must... Maybe next month when I've sorted out paying for Christmas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yea, I think you should look at this as mostly a good thing, it totally validates your choice of tree, and your investment. And I don't think there is a point to trying to get them to "share". They feel very strongly about it! Jagger won't be able to guard 2 trees. If he tries, you can just adjust the placement of them so as to make it impossible for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Apparently all cat trees belong to Grace in my house. This morning Blondie had the audasity to hop onto the cat clouds while Grace was on them. Grace jumped down onto the cloud Blondie was sitting on and covered her body and began biting her neck. Blondie hissed and cried out and Grace flung her off the cloud! I screamed but Grace wasn't phased. Blondie seems okay, but I bet she will not go on the clouds any more. Why can't Grace share?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow, and you've done loads of brilliant catification for your girls, Jill! There is plenty to go round so you would think Grace would have enough! I guess once they get territorial that's it, sad though it is.

I may have to put the next tree in the main living room as Hendrix spends a lot of time in there during the day otherwise he won't have a window to look out from the tree. I can't put the trees next to each other in the smaller room, they would need to be either side of the sofa and although the room is dual aspect, we don't open the blinds on the window behind the sofa as it reflects on the TV. Plus two cat trees would take over the whole room.

I am pleased the new tree is so popular though, I really liked it as soon as I saw it, and Jon was ready to gloat when it wasn't used for the first 24 hours. I feel so smug :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's so nice to sit here at the computer in the bonus room with Raiden sleeping in his heated bed in the living room and Long Legs sleeping in his heated bed on the deck. Two cats that only meet when I take Raiden out and Legs is still out there. Some days, Legs decides to follow us on our walk. But, having two indoor kitties -- two distinct personalities -- siblings at that -- and what the heck???? I thrive on peace and quiet. And you two, Clare and Jill, have the patience I would never have! These boys and girls need to settle down!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's a point of view I hadn't considered Brian. Grace always goes to the highest perch and Blondie races up after her and pokes at her. This goes on every night when Grace settles in on the top of the high cat tower. Blondie races up after her and pokes her from below. Graces gets miffed and hangs over the side and slaps at Blondie very fast and furious. They are both on the one side hanging off the edge slapping at each other and the cat tower is swaying to and fro. My heart is in my throat until Blondie comes down onto the bed and Grace lies down on her tower. It's an odd way to say goodnight but there is a pattern developing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Another point of view is that Blondie knows exactly where Grace is, and deliberately antagonises her. Which ended up with her being thrown off the clouds yesterday when Grace reached the end of her tether. Jagger was deliberately antagonising Hendrix on the cat tree when it was all kicking off in our house, and yet it initially looked quite innocent.

Still, hopefully that is all in the past now... I have a sneaking suspicion that they both slept together in the front room last night. I know Hendrix was in the other room when I went to bed, but they both came out of the front room this morning and started playing in the hall, charging up and down it like lunatics. With no unpleasantness and Hendrix was clearly having fun too.... Happy days!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

fingers and paws crossed for you Clare!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal