[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Our cats killed the Hamster!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I feel so ashamed,embarrassed and guilty!!! Our 4 yr old son got a hamster wich he named Jay Cash. The hamster was only 12weeks old. We bought a huge glass terrarium with a gitter on top. We never thought that this would happen. My husband told me he saw the hamster once climbing on the gitter. And the cats would always sit and watch.
One day I saw the hamsters eye was closed and he was dragging his legs. So we went to the vet and they saw scratch marks on his paws. My husband and I looked at each other and we both knew what caused it. The hamster got antibiotic injection..but two days later the hamsters paw was three times the size and all blue. He couldn't move eat or anything so we called the vet to put him down. But we didn't make it to the vet he died in my hand.
I feel so awful and ashamed that this happened!!!! Now my husband has to come up with a plan so that the cats can't do it again. Sry I just had to get this off my chest. And Jay Cash I am so so sorry!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh that is so sad, but it is one of those things that can happen with two incompatible kinds of animal. We had Honeypie a syrian hamster and our old cat was interested but would never do anything about it. When we got Oscar we realised within an hour that Honeypie would no longer be able to live in the playroom. We found Oscar on top of the cage trying to kind of drag it off the table. He would not have given up until Honeypie was eaten. Honeypie spent the rest of her life in the office but we went in all the time to play with her. I really feel for you. The trouble with bengals is that they are so determined and maybe having a hamster would just be too much temptation for them. Maybe get a gerbil glass case that has no bars the hammy can put paws through. You could put loads of climbing stuff inside which would solve the problem. Good luck

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you so much. The "cage" is a huge glass box,its only the lid thats the problem. On saturday we are going to get a new hamster. Just spoke to my husband and he is going to build a wooden lid with lots of small holes for the air. I really hope it will work. The cage is in my sons room..i will be checking on the cats that they dont go inside..and if they do i will take them out.
What really surprised me is that when J-cash died we didn't clean out the cage for two days..and in those two days the cats never bothered to even go into the room!
And I am almost sure once the new one comes they will be in there again. I guess they smell the hamster. I just look at the cats and think to myself "Geez AS IF you two don't have any toys!!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just remember these bengals are seriously clever - could they hook their claws in the holes in the lid and get it off? It is virtually impossible to bengal proof a hamster cage with bars. Your husband's design should work as long as the cats can't figure a way to get the top off. Just another word of advice re hamster bedding as we found out the hard way. Don't ever use the cotton wool like bedding they sell in pet shops. only use the shredded paper as the cotton wool stuff can cause intestinal blockages and kill the hamster. Honeypie nearly died and the lump of matted cotton wool bedding that she passed was huge (sorry to be disgusting) Pet shops know the danger but they still sell the stuff and people buy it as it looks so cosy for the hammy :sad:

UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thats very interesting that you mentioned the fluffy cotton because I couldn't find it anywhere to buy! Aw poor honeypie (Ps love the name!). Is she still alive? Or how old did she get? I won't be buying the fluffy cotton if I see it.
These bengals are so clever! I will help my husband and try to think like a bengal :) so that its really cat proof!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww I'm so sorry about the hamster.

I have a moggie who managed to "fish" a big Koi out of my 150 gallon fish tank. He did it while I was at work and it was too late by the time I got home. He was my favorite Koi too :sad: beautiful white & yellow.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Genevieve, I am so sorry about Jay Cash. Rodents are prey for cats! And when you have two cats working in tandem, they can do just about anything. A hamster is going to prove enticing to bengals especially. I'm sure your son wants to take the hamster out and play with it, but then that can lead to the hamster getting down and running and then the chase is on. I never see any good coming out of having these types of households. Someone on here is wanting a bengal but has a bird and is not about to mix the two! Hamsters have a short enough life span as it is. It's much shorter when you have cats. I hope it works out with the new hamster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We lost Honeypie in April. She was not even two. Think the illness with the bedding weakened her. We all loved her to bits!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aw Honeypie has the same colors like J-Cash had! So my husband got the wood yesterday and it is going to be underneath the gitter lid..It should be very safe. We always closed the door when giving food or taking him out to play because i know the cats would kill immediately.
Oh I am so sorry about the Koi fish! We have a water turtle but they leave him alone thankfully. But we are going to give the turtle to a zoo. He has grown so much...long story short: The turtle belonged to my sister and she passed away at age ten because of cancer. That's why it has taken us so long to bring it over our hearts to give the turtle to the zoo. I will take a photo of the cage once its done wich should be tonight.
I think i didn't think the whole thing through well enough about the cats. We should not have got the hamster and all that comes with it. But now i can't go and tell my son no. I learned my lesson though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry to hear that.

You'll have to be very vigilant. I'd make sure that the cats are not able to get at the hamster whilst you are not at home. I am sure you do that already.

We have goldfish and I never leave our kittens (they are not Bengals) alone with the fish when I go out even though it's pretty much impossible for them to get inside as it's a very heavy fitting lid.

I just don't like the idea of them jumping up, pawing at the tank and stressing the fish out.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengals are just born predators - hamsters, koi, turtles, they would have the lot. I said no to another hamster after Honeypie died but my kids are much older and able to understand. The cage sounds like it will work with the wood layer and the grill on top as long as the grill has latches to secure it and is not just it's weight holding it down. We used to take Honeypie out to play in our big bath. The bathroom door was always locked and the girls would build obstacle courses for her! We did not take any chances with Oscar around! I'm sorry to hear about your sister and totally understand why you have difficulties letting the turtle go :sad:

UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The cage will have the wood on top with small holes where NO paws can get through. Then the gitter lid on top and its fixed on with screws so the cats cant open/pull the lid and have no chance to harm the hamster. Just filled the cage with new straw and hay etc. Was sad cuz little Jay Cash was really sweet. Tomorrow we are going to fetch the new Hamster. My son decided to name him Filix...so I am excited and abit sad at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Will the hamster get enough fresh air? I've only seen these rodents in wire cages. I've known people with obsessions for hamsters and an adult who loved guinea pigs. For some reason, I've never been into rodents.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat