[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Cat containment fencing offer Black Friday week UK
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

We have been looking into containment fencing for our 10 month Bengal to keep her safe and away from our neighbours cats to avoid any potential issues. We considered Petsafe and Dogfence and decided to look into Dogfence as we felt it was a better product for our needs. I phoned last week for further information and they were very helpful and informative and said that this week for Black Friday they are doing 20% off their systems which makes a big difference to the cost for us. They let us buy the professional system to DIY ourselves as we are too far for the fitting costs to be feasible. We just wont get the lifetime guarantee if we fit it ourselves.

I thought I would post in case anyone else is considering purchasing one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:35 pm 
Senior Bengal

These fencing dont work! a friend of mine has them and his bengal still manage to escape and had a really bad fight with another cat. Now faced with a massive vet bill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's a dog fence, not a cat fence. Yesterday, I witnessed a cat hurdling rows of shrubs. I don't think I'd ever seen a cat jump that high and that far! I don't believe what you've purchased will contain your cat. A bengal, especially, is an escape artist and will try whatever means they can to escape and get away. You would have been better off with the Purrfect Fence or a large cat enclosure. We do have someone on here who uses an invisible fence for their cat and claims it works! I'm guessing it is a female cat and not a male who is much more territorial and will roam a lot farther than a female cat. I wish you luck with this as it appears you have already purchased it. And I hope it works for you, but I'm betting you come back and tell us that your little guy got away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

Yes she is a female cat and fingers crossed it will work. The company said they have had good success with Bengals. The shock zone can be set to up to 12ft around the wire imagine a sphere so unless there are trees (which we do have and may need adjustments) we hope that is plenty to stop her. It also has the fastest reaction time so running into the zone and jumping shouldn't work either. A 12ft zone would preclude it from many peoples gardens but we have 1 1/2 acres so if we have to set it that high we can. It has an anti linger function and also turns up the shock level if they activate it more than a couple of times in a day and warns you if they have activated it at any time. She will be trained to recognise the boundary wearing a harness so it will be a gentle introduction.

I know it only takes one escape for possible havoc to be caused but as she is a lot smaller than our previous Bengal cross we are hoping it will work. we are monitoring her jumping skills while she is inside about 4ft at the moment!!

Here is a link to an installation they did http://www.feline-friends.org.uk/containment-fences.htm an interesting read. I talked to one of the owners who installed it and he said they didn't take his advice to install it all the way round just started with two sides which then ended up as more when they realised they needed it.

Time will tell if she works out a way to breach it we will have to make sure our cars are parked near it to make them stepping stones!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have no idea how much of a "shock" these give the cat, but any type of shock can be inhumane. Maybe they have a vibrating factor that gets stronger the closer the cat approaches the perimeter! I really don't know how they work, but I know I could not trust one to keep my bengal in the yard! A female may be easier! To be truthful, cats should not be allowed outside without supervision! I know it's a pain to be constantly out with your cat, but it's the one way to make sure the kitty is safe. I'm sure you spent a lot of money on this -- and you definitely have to make sure there are no trees or anything that can facilitate an escape. I'm going out on a limb and saying if the cat makes it out, they are not going to come back through again. Good luck! And let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have had great success with the Petsafe fence with our 2 bengals. Love how it has allowed them to enjoy our entire yard! We have a fence around our backyard and mounted the wire to our fence - one strand on the bottom, looping back on the top. Each cat got shocked twice when we first allowed them in the yard - over 2 years later, no more shocks and no escapes. The collars give a warning beep when our cats get close to the fence and they know what that means. We bring our cats in at night, but they have the run of the yard during the day. We had to put a squirrel baffle on one of our trees - Duma started climbing that tree to access our roof!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hate the word "shock." I would not want to experience that and I certainly don't want my cat to experience that. There would be no stopping Raiden! He wouldn't care about the shock! That's how badly he wants to get out into the open! I hope the fence works out for you as it has for WildlifeReflections.