[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Advice on Coronavirus
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on Coronavirus
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

We are hoping to pick up a little black male moggie on Saturday :)

We are all beyond happy although I still have a little cry about Muskey every day as I do with all my cats I've ever had. You never forget them.

As many of you know we went through the whole coronavirus FIP thing and my excitement is being dampened a bit by worrying my new kitten will develop FIP by picking up the coronavirus here.

I've been so paranoid I've been scrubbing at the whole house. Washed the litter trays out with bleach several times, chucked out feeding dishes and scrubbed at the cat tree. I've also thrown away all their toys :sad:

Am I worrying about nothing (I really hope so) and is this all necessary?

I know my new kitten could have the coronavirus anyway and I've decided not to test for it.

I'm not sure how long the coronavirus can live in the environment on soft furnishings etc?

I've been googling but can't really find the answer I want.

Anyone know?

Many thanks.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Debbie

Congrats on your new addition this coming weekend!

I have just been reading up on FIP on a site that I use quite a lot - www.icatcare.org - have you checked this site? I think after reading this, with all the cleaning you've done, I think you should be okay - there is advice on there about reducing risk in breeding households, so I imagine that as you have scrubbed your home so thoroughly, you should be free of FCoV (fingers crossed).

Good luck with your new boy and I hope he brings you lots of joy. I look forward to seeing pics on his arrival x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Clare.

Just read the 'prevention' page and although it's aimed at breeders mostly looks like good hygiene is important.

Problem is I can't get into every nook and cranny that Muskey has been so even though I've cleaned all the litter boxes etc I definitely couldn't have cleaned everywhere.

If anyone finds any information about how long the coronavirus can live outside a cats body (not in poo as I know it can last for some time there) on soft furnishings, rooms etc could you please let me know?

Saying that though we are picking him up on Saturday so doubt the information would be helpful if it was negative!

Guess I'm just looking for reassurance.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Admittedly I was not very well educated on it when I lost my girl about 12 years ago but I didn't do anything special. We had 2 other cats at the time and adopted a kitten a few weeks after we lost Hunter. None of them ever had any issues. One passed of cancer about 5 years later, one I lost to old age 2 years ago and the kitten we adopted turned 12 in August.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie, I think you've done everything possible -- and I really think you're overthinking and over worrying about things. It seems to be a flip of a coin as to whether cats contract any type of disease. You can only do so much and then it's left up to a higher being! I think it's wonderful you're wanting take the two of them. I am sure they will live a long, wonderful life with you and your family. Can't wait to see pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Sherry.

Showed photo of kittens to my 12 year old this evening and I said did he mind that one had part of his ear missing and he said that made him want him even more.

He's such a sweet boy.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww it's good that you're getting 2 together. Congratulations.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:40 pm 
Senior Bengal

Debbie, I think I remember reading that it can only survive outside the cats body (not poo, just on surfaces) for a few days or so.

I just found this on Dr. Addie's website:

"How long does coronavirus survive in the environment?

In natural circumstances, cats go outside to defaecate and bury their faeces, in which case the virus lasts hours to days (it survives slightly longer in freezing conditions). However, in domesticating the cat we have introduced litter trays: FCoV may survive for several days and possibly up to 7 weeks in dried up faeces in cat litter.

If you have lost a cat to FIP, wait around a month before obtaining another cat. However, if you have other cats already, remember they may be shedding FCoV, so wait until their antibody titres have reduced to zero before obtaining a new cat. Of course, don’t forget to test the new cat for FCoV antibodies too."

I don't think you have anything to worry about, you have no cats to actively infect the new kitten(s), and you've completely disinfected the box(es). You've done everything you can! How fun, I can't wait to see the pictures of the little babies :)

Orion ~ Light Gold Black Rosetted Bengal, born 5/19/15
Apollo ~ Tuxedo Marbled Tabby, born 1/7/12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

From what I understand of corona virus, it will either mutate into FIP or it won't and there isn't a direct cause of mutation known presently. If you have done a good cleaning and give your furniture and the carpets a once-over for dingle-berries/booty smears, you will be fine.

I think what your son said about the one missing part of his ear is wonderful. Now he just has to pick an awesome name and make up an awesome story about how new kitty lost part of his ear! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you so much for the reassurance.

I guess I've done my best and what will be will be.

Poor ds is also stressing over it (I haven't said anything to him about worrying myself) as he's been through quite a lot recently first losing his baby Dexter and then his old pal Muskey. He keeps saying he's worried these will get ill too.

One more sleep to go to will pick our babies up!

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bri, thank you.

I dread to think what names my son will come up with!

One of the kittens (the one with the ear missing) is called Rio at the moment and James said he likes that name and wants to keep it. He's come up with Darth Vader for the other one :rolleyes: - I don't think so imagine me shouting that to get them back in from the garden!

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I love the look a black cat, like a little black panther. My old office had a big colony of them. Over the years we TNR 20 little black panthers. They were so beautiful and wild.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, just calling the kitty Darth for short won't cause any harm! LOL. Can't wait to see pix of the little munchkins.