It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:26 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hey new to the forum here. My names Joe I'm from Long Island, NY. I currently do not own a Bengal but I'm in the process of getting one in the near future. I had 2 tabbies which we recently put down last December. They had a great life and made it to 17. There missed a ton. Originally I had no plans of getting another pet but I'm too much of animal lover to not have one. So me and my wife are looking into a Bengal this time around. They always caught my eye. I love the exotic look in a compact size. So I decided to join this forum to do some research and here people experiences.

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum. Since you're in Long Island, I need to tell you to stay away from Pleasant Pond Bengals in Ridge. They may be out of business at this point -- or not, but people have had a lot of problems with them. I'm sure you can find a quality breeder -- make sure you visit their facility to see the cattery and how the kitties are handled. Do a lot of research so you make the right decision. Bengals are not for everyone. They are not your typical cat. They are highly vocal, have boundless energy, even as adults, they are quite social and want to be with their humans. They do not sleep 20 hours a day! You may feel since you've had tabbies, you are prepared for a bengal -- but it is really a different experience.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hate to be THAT person....But steer clear of Helderberg Exotic Cats in NY as well. I purchased my bengal baby from that cattery in September...and JUST found out that every cat from those breeders....my own included...is infected with corona virus. It is not cureable, and can lead to FIP which is fatal. All I can do now is hope and pray Suri doesnt develop FIP. Im heart broken.

Good luck with your search! It can be difficult to find a GOOD breeder, but being so close to NYC I imagine youll have decent luck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Maybe there should be a sticky on this forum where people can post the good and bad breeders out there. Thankfully, most people have a good experience and receive a healthy kitty. Research is so important. Deputy, I don't know if you posted anywhere online about your breeder. Google indexes everything -- so the more that's out there, the more it will help other people and maybe these bad breeders will go away. Hope Suri does not develop FIP.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum and happy to hear you are considering Bengals!

Here is my experience and my opinion:

I, too, fell in love with the Bengal the first time I saw a photo of one. I was in LOVE. They were the most beautiful cats I had ever seen and I needed one in my life. However, I didn’t just jump to the conclusion of getting one. I knew this was a big commitment and I needed to do A LOT of research on these very special cats.

For months and months, I watched videos, read posts, forums, gathered owners’ experiences, etc. There were times I was doubtful and thought maybe this breed isn’t for me. But I was so intrigued and in love with everything I read/saw about them, that I decided to get one anyway. Now I have two – a boy and a girl.

They definitely are different cats. Not your average moggie. I have never come across a cat like them. They are incredibly loyal to their owners, very affectionate, vocal, will give you hours of entertainment, and they are very naughty!! They are like naughty little toddlers getting into everything.

It has been so worth it, though. They are my babies and we share a special bond.

If you are serious about getting a Bengal, do your research. A lot of it. Also research reputable breeders. You do not want to buy from the first person you contact because you fall in love with their cute kittens. Make sure they are registered, health test their cats, desex kittens and provide pedigree papers. Exchange emails, call them, ask as many questions as you can, and visit their cattery to see the conditions the cats are kept in. Don’t feel bad about walking away if you need to. Make sure you find a good breeder who cares about their kittens and where they are going. There are far too many cases of bad breeders – kittens go home sick, resulting in thousands of dollars of vet bills, and some even pass away. It is heartbreaking so make sure you take the right steps when you do!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lalune, I think you covered just about everything for Joe! Visiting the breeder is so important rather than picking a kitty from a picture on a website. You really want a good experience with your breeder. You could probably spend months reading through posts on this website, but in the end, your experience, Joe, will be completely different from any of ours. We all adore our bengals -- and many of the members here have moggies and other breeds of cats as well as dogs. We're here to help in any way we can.