[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal first timer here could use some beginner advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:17 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I'm currently in the market for a Bengal. This will be my first one. I previously had 2 tabbies. Like most people the first time I saw one I was blown away how awesome they looked and just had to have one. Now I realize they are quite different from most other cats but I feel in up for the challenge. I could use any tips or advice. My 2 tabbies were quite vocal so I'm used to that aspect. They kept me up many nights howling at what I still have no clue lol. They also loved attention and followed me everywhere which I heard bengals will do as well. Now I'm kinda a neat freak and like to keep my stuff in good shape. How are bengals wirh furniture etc? I'm sure many people asked what i just did. I'm new to this forum so I'm still reading tons of posts to educate myself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome!! Like with any pet....expect some level of damage to furniture and such. Im very OCD about my homes cleanliness and tidyness. Ive personally been VEEEERY lucky so far (knock on wood) when it comes to my bengal baby damaging our brand new furniture. She sticks to clawing her scratch post. She DOES run all over the couches, bouncing from chair to chair, leaping off the backs, etc. I imagine some day some damage will occur. She hasnt broken any decor, but Im sure that too will eventually happen.

While my bengal, Suri, is 100% bengal...her mannerisms so far seem a bit different from what Ive read about other bengals. Suri is super loving and clingy. She HAS to be near me (preferably ON me) at all times. She doesnt yowl very often either. She typically only gets vocal when its time to eat, when she uses the litterbox, if shes looking for me, or if I shut her out of my bathroom. (shes obssessed with my bathroom....lol) She is best described as being very dog like. She isnt destructive (knock on wood again), but I imagine something will happen eventually.

Ive never owned a bengal until I got Suri. Im now obssessed with her. Such an awesome breed!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with Brian about the fact they will drive you mad if you are a neat freak! However.....I am a neat freak extraordinaire and I have learned to accept and just clear up. My rescue bengal likes to chew the floor cardboard scratch pads multiple times a day. It makes an awful mess in every room but I just clear it. I just keep in mind that he obviously needs a chewing outlet and it could be the furniture he is chewing! If you can be accepting of all their traits and not get stressed which in turn will upset the cat then I don't see why it should not work. You are used to cats and you have researched the breed. One forum member described bengals as exocet missiles with in built grappling hooks! Perfect description but add very loud and very high maintenance too!!!!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My other half is an OCD neat freak, and we have two bengals. He always moans about their toys everywhere, hates their cat tree and we had new furniture delivered just before we got them. However, whilst they do occasionally scratch our new furniture it has stood up to it quite well, with no real damage, and I just have loads of scratching options for them all around the house. As Melissa has said, make sure they have an outlet for their needs to chew and scratch and just clear up after them.

I have become quite minimalist now which actually has delighted my other half! Jagger in particular really enjoys knocking things off shelves, seemingly to see what happens when it hits the ground. If it smashes, that's fab in his eyes and he jumps into the mess he's created, which of course can be dangerous, so now my shelves are pretty bare, but hey, makes cleaning easier!

As long as you accept they will make a mess and give them options for any behaviour that could cause damage to furniture, and make sure they understand the furniture is not for scratching etc, you should be ok, they are very intelligent and quick learners.

Having said that, there are a couple of people on here who have had real issues. One person has had all their wallpaper ripped to shreds, we don't have any so not a problem here but worth bearing in mind if you have wallpaper.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:33 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for all the responses. I think the love from having one will out weigh the negatives. I feel if I take time training one and buy all the proper toys, scratching items and food my cat should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you opt for a kitten, there is going to be a huge learning curve. Bengals are not like tabbies! They are super adventurous, highly energetic, very vocal, extremely social -- one will want to be wherever you are. Bengals need cat trees or climbing shelves, lots of toys, lots of playtime. Many bengals are not lap cats, do not like to be picked up. If you can find a good breeder who socializes her kittens in with the family members, you may have a loving kitty cat. They show affection in different ways -- many love belly rubs. Bengals are gorgeous kitties, but many owners are not prepared for the new adventures a bengal brings into the house. You can teach them tricks, walk them on a harness and leash. It can be a wonderful experience.

Most kittens will attack furniture, but if you have multiple scratching posts (mine has never scratched the furniture), lots of playthings, and you can spend a lot of time playing with your bengal, then you can co-exist in harmony and not be yelling at the cat to get down. Know that bengals are very curious kitties and will have to investigate every single nook and cranny of your home.

That being said, the bengal owners here would not change things for the world! We love our kitties.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Every Bengal has a different personality, and their behaviour can’t be generalised. Most are vocal, some are not. Some scratch furniture, others don’t. Some hate being held, some love it. My boy will let me pick him up for a cuddle (when he wants it) for a few seconds and then he wants to be put down. My girl LOVES cuddles and will climb onto my shoulder and jump into my lap whenever she can and fall asleep.

There is no predicting what your Bengal will or will not do, in my opinion. Mine have used the keyboard of my laptop, my thongs (flip flops), carpet, rug, etc as scratching pads. I tell them no and they will stop, but if you leave things out and give them access to these things, they will do whatever they want with them. If you have problems with furniture, you can try telling them ‘no’ when they scratch, use a spray bottle, or use scents which they don’t like (e.g. peppermint) on the furniture to deter them. Just make sure you aren’t just punishing them for doing these things if they have no other outlets like cat trees, scratching posts, toys etc. They are not like tabbies in the slightest and NEED to be entertained. A majority of their day is dedicated to running around and playing. If they are bored, they will be VERY vocal… not even comparable to a tabby’s vocals.. and it will drive you insane.

I highly recommend getting two together, preferable from the same litter. They will be best friends, will get less bored, sleep together, tackle each other, chase each other, and wear each other out. It will be a lot of fun for you to watch them. There will, of course, be double the mischief, but it is worth it.

Both my bengals do drive me insane sometimes, but it is just who they are. This is what I signed up for, so I will deal with it! I love them. They make me laugh with the things they do.

I feel like lots of people don’t do enough research on Bengals, though. They immediately fall in love with their looks from the moment they see them… and they want one. But you really, really need to do a lot of research on them before you commit to buying one. I fell in love with bengals from the moment I laid eyes on one. But, I did months and months of research and it was years before I got one. I watched videos, documentaries, read forums, joined groups, etc. I had doubts, I thought maybe this isn’t the breed for me… but the more I read, the more intrigued I was and I thought I would just dive into the deep end and get a Bengal! Now I have two, and I love them!

Just make sure you are not getting a Bengal just for their looks – there is A LOT more to them than that, and not everyone can handle a Bengal!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:33 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My husband and I live on a 44 ft sail boat and just got our precious Posidon 2 months ago. he does like to scratch at things...such as cusions, the main mast (The exposed inside portion which is made out of very expensive wood), exposed wires for the entertainment unit and anything he can dig his claws into including us.
What we have done is gotten a few rolls of sisal rope and we wraped it all up and down the mast, both main and mizen. (It actually looks quite nice and decorative) We have also gotten a few pices of plywood and wrapped them with the sisal and have placed them in various locations on walls (from bottom to top, he loves climbing up it and then jumping on to the cusions instead of eating them) and against areas he seems most interested in. Posidon seems to prefer climbing and scatching on this than on any other item now. He still goes for wires, but we have a spay bottle filled with water that reminds him that those are off limits.
The great thing about sisal is you can get it for very cheap at any hardware store or better yet a farming Co Op and it blends with any decor and it is all natural.
https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... al-50.aspx

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my gosh, I think living on a boat with a cat would terrify me! Raiden would have to wear a life jacket 24/7. He does not particularly love water. I don't like water over my head either! You may be tied up in a marina -- but I know sailboats in the open seas list a lot -- oh gosh .... Raiden and I do not have sea legs! LOL