[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Dirty Protest
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirty Protest
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

while ago I wrote about litter problems with my boy Lars. I tried everything, I already change the litter twice a day (he sometimes uses a litter just as I am trying to change it rather than after) I changed the type of litter, more boxes, more vertical space, different styles of litter trays, putting a litter box where he was weeing (by the pateo doors), cleaning with cold water and enzyme cleaner; none of which really helped. The time it started they were not going outside. I thought maybe another cat is in the garden, maybe he is trying to mark his territory. The peeing stopped after we started letting them outside. Brilliant we thought. Only sometimes there would be a little patch on the floor, we couldn't work out why. We went away for a long weekend and had a someone come in and feed the cats, only he didn't let them out. When we came home there was a patch where he was weeing. We were using puppy training pads at this stage to protect the carpet. Then he went back to normal and we were fine. After their last broadline treatment there again was a patch on the floor and last night we didn't let them out as it was bonfire night and sure enough there was a patch this morning. After all consideration and trial of behavioural strategies this confirms that Lars is trying to communicate his displeasure. Weird as this may sound this makes me really happy as he is trying to communicate. :)

Post subject: Re: Dirty Protest
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You gotta love a little communicator. When I don't let Blondie and Grace outside, they immediately put on their naughty hats and torment me until I open the door so they can go out and play. Sort of a cross between communicating and manipulating.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Stress is usually the reason cats go to the bathroom outside the litter box. There is something going on in their world that is not quite right. Cats generally prefer using a litter box. You've tried a LOT of things and hopefully he was checked out by a vet and they found nothing wrong in the urinary tract. Your kitty is definitely trying to communicate something with you -- are you listening? It appears having the kitties go outside alleviates the problem. Unfortunately, outdoors is not 100% safe for the kitties. You have to do what works for you as a cat peeing all over the place is the worst -- absolute worst -- and owners want to tear their hair out because it's not normal for the cats. You've been super patient and the problem lingers on ... now it's probably become a bad habit. I doubt I could tolerate the situation one time -- and thankfully, I haven't had to worry about it with Raiden so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Sherry, yes vet checked him all out and he is fine. It is only if we don't let him out and at other times he happily uses the litter trays. Otherwise he is a very happy contented cat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Then the outdoor world is what he needs. He could be like Raiden -- he holds his pee until we get outside so he can mark everything in sight. He will eventually use the litter box if I'm not ready to take him out -- but he lets me know he isn't happy.