[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - My Bengal died suddenly
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Bengal died suddenly
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:09 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I suppose looking for answers where there may be none. Please don't read on if you don't wish to as I describe what happened. This may be offensive and upsetting to some. I apologise, again, I'm just trying to seek answers.
It's just devastating. With heart break and disbelief, I write that our three year old healthy Bengal died suddenly a few days ago. I just can't stop crying. And I see and hear her everywhere. There were no symptoms or signs of behavioural change. She was still eating, toileting as usual, being her kooky self. Affectionate one minute almost mimicking our dog to being the aloof cat the next watching over the lay of the land.
She did not choke on anything but look like she suffered terribly with her breathing. From the outside, the vet said, there were no obvious signs on her body. No fluids of any kinds around her.
She was fed high quality holistic dry food and good quality wet food recommended by the breeder, up to date on all her treatments (advocate), injections and vetinary checks. She was a 100% indoor cat.
Her coat was glossy and soft.
The only things that come to mind are three weeks ago, she had a one off incident of diarohhea. Very small amount and not again. On three separate random occasions over the last couple of months, she went to vomit a couple of times and nothing came up. But in that time, she did vomit up her cat grass / cat nip mint as normal. She also seemed to be shedding a little more hair on one night when she got off my lap, I was covered. It's spring here and this seemed to happen year on year around this time.
The cat really was my partner's shadow. He elected to not have an autopsy done at a cost of $1000 when the vet said it did not guarantee a result. I have to respect his wishes. He is handling this very differently to me.
I've contacted the breeder but still waiting to hear. My partner is talking about going back to the same breeder when he is ready - probably in a year as it will take sometime to mourn our loss and be ready for another kitty in our lives. She was such a major part of or family. And I'm so happy he is able to talk like this as our sweet Bengal was so in tune with him.
I'm concerned as she was a very expensive cat at $2.5k in going back to the breeder if there was a genetic issue. They do a lot of tests for diseases and illnesses but not hcm/dcm. I know this is controversial and we don't know what our beloved cat passed away from.
Has anyone experienced this?
Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so very sorry for your loss! I know it is especially difficult when it happens quickly and unexpectedly. Since you are not doing an autopsy, there is really no way of knowing what the cause was. The problem could have been congenital. I am always concerned when Raiden experiences diarrhea and will take him to the vet. If a cat vomits frequently, that is another sign, especially if nothing comes up. Was it a stuck hairball that would not come out. You can think and wonder about all the things it might have been, but it doesn't change the fact that your kitty is gone. You have to recall the happy times and relive her life with you. Getting another pet often helps the grief and I think a year may simply be too long to wait. There are so many kitties in need of a loving, happy home and you can provide that.

Just know that sometimes this happens -- and the grief is immense. Our members are here for you. {{{HUGS}}}

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Life can be so unfair. Heartbreakingly devastating for you. Sending you my thoughts and best wishes x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry your kitty died so suddenly. Three years is a young cat and the sudden loss must be devastating. I don't know if I would have spent $1,000 to possibly find out the cause. That money might be better spent on a new kitty for the future rather than info about the past which cannot be changed. I would not wait a year to get a new kitty. My long time kitty died a year ago. I was so upset and didn't even want to come home to my empty house in the evenings. After about four weeks, I couldn't take it, and I adopted two mixed breed SLP kitties from a local rescue.

The kittens were all consuming and take so much time and energy that my grief for Madelyn quickly subsided. A year later, I am so happy with my decision to adopt them. I still think about Madelyn. She was a part of my life for so long. Her ashes are in a cat urn in my living room so she will always be with me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry to hear of your terrible loss.

Loads of (((hugs)))).

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry that happened. I'm glad you decided against an autopsy, to me that doesn't accomplish anything except to create more unhappiness and deduct more money from your account. Why 2.5k if I might ask? Especially if they don't scan. Is that US dollars? If so I think that's double to triple what I saw as typical a few years ago when I was looking.

Everyone deals with it differently, when I lost my last cat, I was beside myself, and found it helpful to go to a special service (non-denominational) for people who have lost pets. I didn't wait too long before looking for my next furry friend(s) because it was torture to me just wandering around the house that seemed so empty, thinking about my lost cat constantly. But do what feels right for you, then look for a new friend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:00 am 
Bengal Kitten

Many thanks for your kind words. I think it really helped just writing it down. I keep hearing her, seeing her and feeling her around the place. I'm now trying to remember all the happy memories, there are so many.
It's AUD.
We are planning on renovations and having to move out for a few Months. Our beloved pets were going to stay at their second home with my in laws. It would be most unsettling for a new cat so we will wait a bit longer. Just keeping our doggie extra close to us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I agree with most here about not spending the money on an autopsy. We lost our Siamese boy very suddenly 2 years ago, I found him in our upstairs bathroom. He had no signs of any illness when he passed. I swear I heard him all the time (he was a big talker), I think that was the worst part, we got Diesel about 6 months later. You'll know when the time is right.

*hugs*

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like you will be busy in the coming months and that will help! Once you get everything done and get settled into a new home, I think that's the time you start looking. You don't have to be in a rush -- take your time finding your perfect feline friend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry to hear of your loss xx

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:42 am 
Bengal Kitten

Rainbow bridge is a lovely thought to hold onto. I'm sorry for all your losses too and thank you for sharing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have all lost pets, so we completely understand what you and your partner are going through with the grief! The time will come when you're ready for a new member of the family.