It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Moles on Kitten?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:50 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hey guys,

Zelda came home with us today. Like a new parent, I am overly anxious about everything and I have a question. Note: we do have a vet appointment for Monday afternoon, but I wanted some opinions from this board.

I noticed a fairly large (about the size of a pencil eraser) mole or skin growth on Zelda's chest near her left font leg. I wasn't able to get a great look at it due to a combination of fur and her being a wiggly little thing, but it's definitely made me concerned. She came with a health certificate, and I have all of her veterinary records - no remarks about this anywhere on her chart. There is a note about "skin and coat" being normal, but... :P

Anyway, when I google - I get the typical "could be nothing, could be cancer". I've had benign growths on my cats before, but they were SENIORS - not babies! This really seems odd to me. Does anyone have experience with this? Or advice about keeping cool until Monday evening?

Post subject: Re: Moles on Kitten?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:26 am 
Senior Bengal

Sorry for the double post. On further inspection, the growth is the same color as the rest of her skin, without fur on it.. Maybe closer to a wart than a mole? I'm debating whether I should contact the breeder, I'll probably wait and see what the vet says on that front. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Only one day to go until you see the vet. Try and keep calm as it could be any number of totally innocent things. Google is great for lots of things but whenever you type in a symptom, you also get the worst case scenario. Hopefully the vet will put your fears to rest tomorrow.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:43 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thanks for the reassurance, Melissa. I appreciate the kind words! I think I'll wait until after our appointment before letting the breeder know about it (which I intend to do no matter what, just as an FYI to her - Zelda is the first offspring between this particular queen and stud).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You're a typical new parent!!!! Since you're going to the vet today, you will find out for sure what the spot is. I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about and hope your vet confirms that. Definitely let your breeder know what the vet says, unless the vet says "It's absolutely nothing to worry about." Congratulations on Zelda. Let the adventures begin.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:52 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thanks, Sherry. :) The appointment is for tomorrow (Monday) at 5pm eastern, so I'll let you guys know what I find out. She had a good long play/exploration session in the living room and is currently taking a nap under the couch. She comes out to play, and since the place is still so new to her, I'm fine letting her rest under there as long as we're home. She's also eating, drinking, and using her box - all good signs!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:40 pm 
Senior Bengal

Ugh. I found another weird lump on her skin - this time on her right shoulder. This one seems to make kind of a "pop" noise if I press it by mistake! That CANNOT be normal... :/ Poor girl. Vet appointment is still about 24 hours away, sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden has some strange bumps on him, too, but the vet checks him out thoroughly each and every time I bring him in and they don't find anything to be concerned about. Hope all goes well with your appointment and you get good news.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know it's hard but try not to worry too much. Make sure you make a note of all the questions you want to ask the vet. If they're busy and in a hurry it's easy to forget something and since this is her first visit it's important to have a full check up to make sure she's nice and healthy.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:10 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the advice, Donna. I actually did make a list of questions in my cell phone because I had the same concern - I didn't want to forget anything only to remember on the way home from the appointment. We bumped the appointment up to 3pm today, so I'll be sure to let everyone know what we hear!

Other than her weird skin lumps, she's doing well. Eats heartily, drinks, and uses the litter box without issue. I had noticed that sometimes she'll chatter a little bit if she is pooping. I'll mention that to the vet too, but I think it might just be her announcing her activities to the world, lol - she doesn't sound pained at all.

We have let her out of her "safe room" to explore the living room/kitchen area (although she still goes back into her room at night time or when we're not home for now). She tends to walk around crying/talking if she isn't distracted with a toy, although it seems to subside as she gets used to the environment. I'm unsure if she's naturally chatty, if it's just that she's nervous in the newly exposed areas. Will update this afternoon!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Diesel "announces" when he's going to poop :lol: but he doesn't do it when he pees. I think sometimes they just like to talk.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengals are chatty by nature! Keeping my fingers crossed there is nothing wrong with Zelda, if nothing else than to ease your mind. New "parents" worry a lot about every little thing. Once you know she's healthy and normal, you can relax a little bit. So happy she is settling in okay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:29 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi guys!

We're home from the vet. Mostly good news.

It turns out those lumps weren't moles or growths - they were infected puncture wounds. One of the other cats in the cattery must have gotten to her, because she is an only cat. She was running a slight fever, so we've now got a 10 day course of antibiotics to give her twice a day (which is not joyous - her first dose went okay, but I know she'll get better at wiggling out of our hands as we keep doing this, lol). So it's not perfect, but it's nothing life-threatening or a disease.

She hasn't been acting ill, so I'm hoping it's not bothering her too much. They shaved the wounds and cleaned them up, so hopefully things will heal up for her soon. Poor baby!

Thank you all for the support, friends. This forum is awesome and I love you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww poor baby. That was my first thought too, kittens can play pretty rough. I'm glad it's nothing major :thumbup:

Giving meds is never fun, but you'll figure out what works best with her in no time. With Diesel I put him on his back and use my "pill gun" to put the pill in the back of his throat as fast as I can, then I rub his nose a couple of times so he licks his lips which causes them to swallow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:21 pm 
Senior Bengal

What we have is in a little syringe, so I hold her while my husband puts it in her mouth and gets her to drink it. No pills yet! But I'm sure it'll come up some time in pet ownership. :)