[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Autumn, our Foster Bengal
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not everybody has the stamina and patience to deal with a bengal cat. I'm past retirement age and I don't think I have the patience I should have with Raiden. He cries and cries and it gets on my nerves! I would never have another bengal -- a moggie is just fine for me. I love Raiden with all my heart, but if I'd known what I was in for .... I never would have agreed to take him. But, I've made a commitment to care for him the rest of his/my life, so no matter what happens, I'm ALL in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie, just know I'm so pleased you're back on the forum with us. We really missed you!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have been to see Izzy and Rory and they are both so beautiful. I gave Izzy loads of cuddles but not Rory as he had just arrived and was stressed. Izzy was rehomed for about a week and it sounded like a perfect home. Izzy is back so it obviously did not work out for her. I just wish people would give it time for the cat to show them their true character and not the stressed animal they obviously will be at first. I don't know why Izzy was returned so I can't judge but it does make me sad for her :sad: When Oscar was in the rescue centre lots of people wanted him apparently but they knew he had to go to a very particular type of home so they turned people down if they did not fit the right criteria.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Who knows? maybe she showed slight aggression as she was frightened or maybe she was peeing or something? All I know is that when I was in my seriously down moments, I admit I did think about giving Oscar back. He was peeing and spraying and also slightly aggressive. The thing that made me determined to sort Oscar out was the thought that if I can't sort this cat out and help him to work through his behavioural issues then who the hell will? I had visions of him going from home to home getting worse in his behaviour until someone snapped and had him put down. I sat next to him and had a heart to heart with lots of tears. I honestly think that moment changed everything and by that I mean my attitude!!! From then on I was positive and put a smile on my face as I scrubbed the walls and cleaned up pee !! Positive vibes and love ( and lots of litter trays) was my way forward and it seemed to work! I desperately want to go to the shelter and scoop both bengals up (izzy and rory) and take them home and love them to bits. Oscar has six beds (not counting human ones) thats two each! Surely he could share? Yeah right!!! From seeing how the kind lady on here is getting on fostering Autumn with her female wanting to kill Autumn and attacking the safe room door...........am I mad to even consider it ? Lots of people have multiple bengals on here but did they get them all as kittens? or did they introduce new kittens to older cats. Are kittens less of a threat and therefore more accepted? I have had cats for 45 yrs but I have never had a kitten, just rescues that were homed in pairs or triples. Big part of my cat experience and knowledge missing. What do all you multiple bengal owner think?

Debbie, you must miss Dexter every day. So so hard to lose a loved baby so young. Thank goodness you had Muskey to cuddle and to mop up the tears. xxxxx

UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can imagine how tempted you are to try, Melissa! However, Oscar I imagine will not be happy at all! My experience is having two (male) bengals, can be hard work to make sure they are both happy and getting on and with plenty of spaces that are 'theirs' etc. You also have to be so careful to give them equal love and affection as the other is always watching! And when Hendrix was beaten up, it caused all sorts of friction between them and I had to work hard to get things back on an even keel. Visits to the vet can cause issues as well, if only one needs to go and comes back smelling of vet, it can take up to a week for the other to completely reaccept them.

My understanding is that introducing a kitten is the best way forward as it won't be seen as a threat to the adult, but you will probably still have lots of stress and peeing going on!

Even getting our two as kittens was a challenge, I was ripped to pieces and must admit I had days I thought I couldn't cope with them (and I also had a couple of times where I cried in despair). But like you, I thought no-one else would have the patience to put up with them, certainly couldn't imagine splitting them up and soon put those thoughts out of my head, especially as there wasn't a malicious bone in their bodies. Plus I'd made a commitment, so I just persevered and now they are the loveliest cats I've ever known, so appreciative, loving and make me laugh every day!

But if something (God forbid) happened to one of them, I'm not sure I would get another as whilst Hendrix and jagger are very bonded, I don't think a new arrival would be accepted easily or at all, and I wouldnt want to take the chance.

Can't believe izzy was given back so soon, a week is no time at all, I really hope they find someone soon who has the time and patience to work with her like you did with Oscar. Maybe if you were up for it, they could put you in touch with whoever takes her on and you could help and advise them as you've already gone through it? A kind of 'buddy' system?

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, I too would be tempted but it would probably set Oscar back and could even just never work out and izzy and/or Rory would need re homing again. Not an easy decision at all!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't think of Dexter. Because of everything we went through together it was tough when I lost him. I could tell he was going to be a wonderful cat and we never saw his true personality because of his ill health.

Imagine it would be very tricky introducing adult Bengal's to each other. I personally wouldn't do it as you now have Oscar settled and happy and goodness knows what would happen if you did.

I'm hopeful that they will be snapped up by someone though. They are stunningly beautiful.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am not going to upset Oscar's world. I just get frustrated that cats prefer to be solitary when grown up. I have such a perfect setting for them all. Oh well will just hope the right people come along. Debbie - I know how you feel losing Dexter, it's a physical ache that just lingers for so long :cry:

UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm surprised the rescue didn't do more to inform the owners about bengals. With any cat, a week or two isn't long enough. Sometimes (as we all know from posts on here), it can take weeks or even months for a kitty to settle in to a new environment. I think it's lack of patience and understanding what a cat needs. This forum goes from bringing kittens home, to introducing new cats to the household, to illnesses and finally death! Life is real for pet owners. We've all been through our own trials with our babies! And it continues to hurt when we lose them -- we NEVER forget them.

Poor Autumn ... gets a foster home and now will need to go to a new home next month! I really would like to think they can find a wonderful bengal lover to take her in and give her the permanency that she needs!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat