[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - FLEAS......nooooooo!!!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Whatever you do, DO NOT overdose Suri on flea medication. Use Frontline or Revolution, but not both! I'm wondering, too, if the baths are washing away the medication that needs time to be absorbed into the skin. Is Dawn dishwashing liquid known for killing fleas? You have no idea how many million fleas are in your home at the moment -- and it is a fight for weeks on end. And make sure Suri cannot get into any of the other chemicals you are using -- remember, she washes her paws. I really feel for you -- I do! The Frontline or Revolution do take a little while to work, but they will kill the fleas and eggs on Suri, so you don't have to continuously bathe her.

Guess you're going to have to wash down everyone who comes into your home. It's strange that you would have this kind of outbreak from just some kids visiting your home. I know it doesn't take long for fleas to reproduce -- but it sounds like you've been taken over by them.

Oh --- and watch the vacuum cleaner as well. Live fleas in there will reproduce in the bag unless you've vacuumed up enough chemicals to kill them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I used Revolution starting at 4 months old. My vet recommended it. I also used to use Terminix pest control inside and outside, mainly for ant control since I live in South Florida. At an early age, Blondie itched her neck, face, ears and eyes so badly I had two emergency vet visits after hours. She had to get eye drops for a couple of weeks and wear a soft cone. She didn't have fleas, but I couldn't figure out what was causing her itching. So back to the vet. I stopped Terminix and now battle my ant and weed situation on my patio with corn meal and baking soda. They have been on a venison only diet for about 6 months now and 2 months ago I switched to Comfortis oral flea medication. Blondie does not itch much at all now. Grace still scratches a lot. They spend a lot of time outside on the patio so it could be pollen related. It has been a year since Terminix has sprayed and my natural remedies work much better at controlling ants and weeds!

My neighbor has the same floor plan and screened in patio set up and she does not give any of her pets flea medication. She says they don't have fleas. But who knows, she also claims they don't have ants and last time I was over there they were swarming all over the counters and food, yuck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Because I keep having to bathe Suri, none of the flea treatments have been on her long enough to be effective. Ill keep from bathing her for some time, since putting the Revolution on her. Since the Frontline is ineffective here, I doubt it would have done Suri any good. Her vet advised the Capstar oral meds work great, so thats a relief. I still have not yet seen a bug on her today... so yay for that.

Yes!! Dawn dish soap is a VERY effective flea killer!! Those little suckers die almost instantly when exposed to Dawn. I dont think it kills eggs, but it definitely kills adults!!

Ugh, I read that the fleas seen on a pet only represent approximately 10% of a flea problem....which means the other 90% is in my HOUSE. SO GROSS. When I vaccuum.... which I do several times a day....I get a bunch in the canister. I directly spray a natural flea killer into the canister prior to vaccuuming, so they die once they get sucked up. I also washed out all the canister and filter components to my vaccuum yesterday, just to be safe.

I wish I knew how we got these things. I KNOW Suri didnt have them when she came home, (I checked, and her vet checked the next day) and there have been NO other pets in here at all. As someone who has never before delt with fleas.... I can say it sure is quite the headache. I feel like Im making SOME headway though. Hopefully thats the case.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ugh, ants in the house is almost as bad as fleas. We had issues when we lived in Oregon, but got them quickly under control with an ant killer used throughout the house. They still occasionally showed back up, but only 1 or 2 vs 100s. They liked to congregate along the baseboards in my boy's bedroom for whatever reason.

In Eastern Oregon (where Im actually from....we now live in NY) there are NO fleas. None. Too hot and dry for them. I grew up surrounded by animals (heck I had 150 show rabbits when I was 17!) and never once saw a flea. The first time I saw one, I was an adult living on the western side of the state where its alot cooler and ALOT more humid.

Household pests SUCK.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope the whole flea problem gets taken care of soon. I know you're going crazy with it and poor Suri has to deal with all those baths. Frontline still contains a strong medication that is absorbed into the skin. But I'm sure all these baths have pretty much washed it all off as it's not on there long enough to get absorbed. I guess now all your visitors will be required to strip naked and leave their clothes outside your front door and you'll be inspecting every inch of them for fleas. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

We have ants here in Tennessee, too and I only get the in the house when my husband spills honey on the kitchen counter. They somehow can find that easily. I find spiders occasionally -- most of them are outdoors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

YESSSSS.....I *think I have this whole flea disaster taken care of! I have not seen a bug on Suri since last week, and after treating the house (multiple times) I havent seen any inside! The vaccuum is flea free, and there hasnt been a single bug in the flea trap. Lets hope that once a week home treatments til the 1st week in November kills any stragglers!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:03 pm 
Senior Bengal

That's good news! I hope you stay clear. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's awesome, sounds like you're getting a handle on it.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Flea eggs take up to 2 weeks to hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

....which is why once a week Ill treat the whole house til the 1st week in November. Hopefuly that eliminates the problem. The spray Im using is a pretty potent one that is supposed to kill eggs, larvea and adults, interrupting the life cycle. I then follow up the next day with a natural flea killer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately, this flea problem has gone on for weeks, so any eggs would have hatched by now. I think you may have finally gotten a hold on the problem!!!! Continue treating once a week will help. Not sure where you live, but do the fleas live through a cold winter??? I just reread another topic of yours and see you have FOUR children, so there's lots of going in and outside. How are you staying sane? LOL I'm guessing Suri is a much happier kitty these days.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Im still holding out hope that Ive fixed the flea issue. The trap is clean, vaccuum still clean Suri is clean....YES!

Im in upstate NY. I have NO clue if fleas survive cold temperatures. I read they are sensitive to heat and cold.... But thats all I know.

Lol....4 kids can be quite the challenge...I guess Im just used to comanding an army I created myself. Some days, though......

Suri is such a happy little girl. She was rough housing and playing chase (her favorite game) with the whole family this morning. She is crazy about the kids. They make for great playmates for her. She really is a super cool cat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I used to live in southern Ontario where winters are cold. Winters were at least as bad for the fleas because they look for warm, indoor places to live.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just checked and fleas do survive winter! They are not as active as in the summer, but they are still out there! So, looks like you have to continue to be diligent about this. It's great to have kids when you have a cat or dog. It's just me and my husband and hubby works and plays golf whenever he's not, so I'm the one who has to take the time to play and occupy Raiden. Not easy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Fleas are more abundant in winter inside houses because of the central heating nowadays - Don't be disheartened,though, as they can be beaten! When Merlin got an infestation two years ago, (playing with hedgehogs...) I sprayed the house with STAYKILL and then treated him with Advantage from the vet. It worked brilliantly. I still have some indoors, but will only use it if needed, as I don't like treating for the sake of it - That's how the little critters become immune...
As a reliever to Merlin while the flea stuff took time to work, I used to comb him with a fine flea comb, and any I got off him went into a bowl of hot water! I did get over 50 on one major groom... If you see them with white tummies, they are gravid - egg laden - so you need to kill them ASAP! Also check any teddies / soft toys, as Merlin used to lie on a 6ft stuffed tiger I have, and that too got an infestation! GROSS!!!!