[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - First a bengal.....now a dog...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:05 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hey all! I've had my cat Luigi for a little over two years and my husband is begging for a dog.
I have tried to dig really deep into the internet to see what dogs are best with bengals but can't find much information.
From your experience what types of dogs work best with these feisty little felines?
I want Luigi to have a companion that will be a good playmate. I should also note that my husband is 100% against "little dogs" so I'm thinking something medium sized.
My initial thoughts are some type of spaniel, retriever, etc. Anybody have insight on this?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:33 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi, We have three bengals and one dog albeit a large one - Roxi is a French Mastiff (Dogue de Bordeuax) or if you have seen the film Turner & Hooch - she's the female version of Hooch!

I guess it all depends on what you want in the dog as well as what sort of relationship you hope your pets to have, Roxi is obviously classed as large/giant breed, she is very laid back and typical to her breed - a gentle giant although when she wants to play she can be very excitable. I think her lazy laid back attitude works well compared to the three lunatics as the thought of having a dog with as much energy as these three is scary (especially one of her size!!)I find most large breeds to be more laid back and relaxed than small dogs however it all depends on how we bring them up doesn't it?

I would suggest something that is typically laid back otherwise you may find they will bounce of each other, on the other hand one dog and one cat - you may want them to? I would steer clear of breeds which are known to chase/hunt as the temptation of a Bengal running riot may be too much for a dog whose nature is inbuilt to chase or hunt.

I think maybe a good idea would be to look at the type of dogs you like the thought of and research that breed - maybe speak to some breeders perhaps visit a few and and take from there, a good breeder will help you not just sell.

Hope that was of some use.

Proud mum, provider, waiter & general house slave to:
Meili brown spot born 07.11.09
Chester seal lynx rosetted born 10.04.14
Jaego melanistic born 16.05.15
Roxi big, sloppy French Mastiff born 10.04.11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wouldn't know what to do with this one. Part of me thinks an active dog would be the best playmate for a Bengal, the other part of me thinks a laid back dog that doesn't get too riled up might be a better mate.

I picture a lazy dog on its side with the Bengal running around it bopping the landmass on the head :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:07 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a six month old setter puppy. She does not get on amicably with two 4 year old bengals. My dog is very very energetic, young, and bouncy, and my bengals do not appreciate her play advances at all. She will also chase them given the chance. It is stressful and time consuming managing them simply being in the same room. I will say my cats are not actually afraid of her, mostly irritated, and would be fine with a dog that gave them space. I am trying to teach my dog this but cats are a very tempting toy.

You know your cat, but I would be cautious about getting an energetic breed and assuming the cat will appreciate it. There may be a loooong settling in period.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh gee. Not being a dog person, I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you looking to get a puppy or an older dog? Check with some rescues as they will tell you whether the dog is good around children or other dogs and cats. That's the main thing. At one point, we had a dog and a cat and they just ignored each other. But, every situation is different and you do not want to find yourself in one where they do not get along. You want a breed with a sweet temperament. I've seen the cutest pictures of a tiny kitty and a gigantic dog snuggled up together. Just know that dogs and cats "play" differently. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think any breed of dog will irritate your cat when it's in the puppy period! My mum has a ten week old cockapoo and the cat is not impressed. My mum thought ahead though and got a carpenter to do some catification so Timmy can eat and drink and sleep off the floor and get away from the puppy! Cat also allowed upstairs and dog not! Also even though breeds have different traits you never know with the individual dog how it will be. I think you just have to research the breeds and accept the puppy period will be trying! :lol: for you and the cat

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have an 11 year old samoyed. She was 8 when we got Quasar.
She is very laid back but Quasar can get her up and playing/chasing. I think having added Quasar to our household has prolonged our dog's life by getting her moving.
As Kyenta, our dog, approaches her twilight years, we have considered what type of dog to get when she goes. I would definitely opt for the more laid back breeds. Usually larger dogs are more laid back than the wee ones.
Any puppy energy will be directed by an adult cat as they find their way forward together.
Just like adding multiple cats to a household, not all dogs and cats will be fast friends but I have to say our two are definitely buddies, especially when we travel.

Good luck in your decision.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 pm 
Senior Bengal

Oh, it's a reverse of my situation. First I got my dog, then I got a Bengal.
I thought my dog was lonely all day waiting for me, but now, I think she would be happier if I hadn't gotten Dahab ;).
My dog and cat are basically the same size because I wanted them to be able to play together. Dahab is frequently pouncing on Lola's back end. She'll scoot away from him.
I love it when they play together, but it happens so rarely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:42 pm 
Bengal Cat

My dogs a 7yr old Yorkie boy. I had him before my bengal who is only 16 weeks. They totally adore each other constantly playing, Blaze the Bengal jumps all over him, grabbing his tail, they both share their toys, and when dog goes out into the garden Blaze sits at the back door yowling until I let the dog back in. Such good playmates with each other. Hope it lasts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Update: We're fostering a german shepherd puppy. So far so good, besides Luigi being terrified at times. It's only been a few days but I think they'll warm up to each other. If not we don't have to keep the foster, Izzy :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:26 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hope all goes well, hopefully over time they will become good buddies xx