It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:28 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone,

I just register today and I would like to have your point of view before to choose on a Bengal,

Here is my situation, my gf and I want to have a cat and felt in love with Bengal, I looked at the behavior and I'm not afraid to handle it, ; )

We live at Kuala Lumpur in condominium, 100m2 apartment, small closed balcony, i will be able to take care of the cat from now till middle February, I'm not working and be at the apartment, after February I leave to go to Tioman island where I work as scuba diving instructor until September and let the cat to my gf who works during the day,
Then we get married and we will go live in Tioman, the dive shop where I work and the place have many cats around, most of them are feed by people, we have 7 cats that we take care at our dive shop, but we can see a real hierarchy between them, and fight are present quite often, also the island is 98% of jungle it's just a beach, bungalow and jungle behind, it can be paradise for the cat, but don't want him to run away..
Does this kind of environment can fit to a Bengal cat ?
Thx for answering,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. It's difficult to assess your situation completely. It sounds as if there is a large stray cat population at the dive shop. These cats are probably not vaccinated against transmittable diseases, thus if you plan to get a bengal, you'll need to keep the bengal indoors or walk him on a harness and leash. He should not be allowed to roam with these other cats. I'm sure most of the male strays are not neutered which makes them highly territorial. This would not be a good for for a bengal, male or female. Unfortunately, keeping a cat indoors and having so many cats outdoors can cause behavioral problems with the indoor kitty, too! Are these stray cats feral or friendly? Could you find them homes so there aren't any cats hanging around the dive shop? That's my recommendation if you plan to get a bengal or any cat, actually, that you plan to keep as a pet. Bengals make wonderful pets and bond quickly with their owners, however, if they are allowed to roam outdoors, they wander just like any other cat. You've got quite a bit of time before you actually move to the dive shop. I'd try to find homes for the cats that are hanging around -- or at the very least, make sure they are spayed and neutered to prevent reproduction. And, if you do get a kitty, keep it away from these other cats. It's wonderful you're thinking things out far in the future. Hope it all works out for you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I completely agree with Sherry.

It is difficult to understand your situation, but from what you said, you are intending on your Bengal to be an indoor/outdoor cat?

To be honest with you, and this is just my personal opinion… but I really am against letting my cats outside, unless on a harness. I see so many people I know distraught over their cat going missing, running away, or worse… being hurt, bitten by something or hit by a car. It is something you have to live with for the rest of your life, and I really believe that my cats are safest indoors, where I know they are safe and away from harm. I could not imagine coming home and wondering where my cats are. I would be worried sick.

On another note – these wandering cats you speak of are stray cats, yes? I would be worried for the health of your Bengal and personally would not let me cat near any other cats who have not been vaccinated, parasite treated, desexed or health checked regularly.

Also, Bengals are very beautiful, unique looking cats. They are not common in a lot of areas. If your Bengal was to roam freely, there is a big chance he could be stolen. Unfortunately this does happen frequently with bengals, and for this reason many breeders (including mine) make you sign a contract before you commit to the purchase that they will be strictly indoor cats only.

In the end it really is up to you, though. This is just my personal opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The two potential problems I see are:

1) What if you and your girlfriend split up in the next year? You seem to be planning a "cat share" until you are married, but what if this plan couldn't happen anymore? I'm sure it wont happen, but decide now who will own the cat and where it will live should you split.

2) The other cats at the dive shop. You don't want your cat to run away, but you will be introducing him/her to a big group of cats, which may or may not go well. It already sounds like the cats already don't get along so well. Your cat could get injured, or decide to leave. Unfortunately you don't what will happen until you try! And obviously you should get your cat vaccinated and neutered before it meets any of these cats.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope this advice has helped you.