[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Diarrhea
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Diarrhea
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:12 am 
Bengal Kitten

I know there are a ton of topics on this but I'm starting a fresh thread anyways. I'm in the US and I got my baby from a great breeder a couple weeks ago. He was born June 18, so he isn't even 4 months old. He is having diarrhea on and off and it's liquidy, smelling and I'm not sure what to do. I took him to the vet and they said he fecal came back great (I don't believe he was tested for tritrichomonas) and he doesn't have diarrhea all the time. The breeder had him on Iams kitten and currently I am switching him to Blue Wilderness Kitten and I am mixing them together. He likes the Blue Wilderness Kitten canned wet food too. I gave him nearly 1/2 a can yesterday and he had diarrhea then a nice solid poop and today my boyfriend who is watching him while I'm at work says he just had another round of nasty diarrhea. What do I do? I plan on calling the vet and asking about the tritrichomonas and seeing what they say but I'd like to also ask you all who have had bengals before!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Diarrhea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm 
Senior Bengal

Continue your inquiry with the vet. But it could be as simple as the stress of moving into a new environment, or just the food change - even if it is gradual (did he have any diarrhea before you started with the food shift)?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Could be a lot of things going on here. Stress in moving to a new home can definitely bring on diarrhea. Changing a diet can cause a similar problem if it's not done gradually. And it could be TF which, I believe, requires a special test. My bengal gets diarrhea at least once a year -- we go to the vet, check the stool. He last had coccidia which required medication. I use FlortiFlora on his food every day. It's a probiotic that helps the digestive tract. It's made a huge difference for him. If it does not clear up shortly, I'd definitely ask the vet to test for TF. For some cat owners, it's a relief when the test comes back positive -- at least they know what's causing the diarrhea, but the medication for it takes a while to work.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for all the help guys! I took him to the vet this morning and he does have TF. We got some antibiotics and we're gonna start putting probiotics on his good for now. My poor baby! I'm glad it's been figured out though! Hopefully he'll be good to go after the antibiotics!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:52 am 
Senior Bengal

I'm sorry to hear he has TF, but I'm glad that it was detected! At least now you know what you are dealing with. I hope he recovers nicely, keep us posted if you don't mind. Good on you for persisting through to a diagnosis!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Okay so today is day 17 of antibiotics. The vet gave me metronidazole to give him and he's had on and off diarrhea with it. Some days its hard, others its hard. I'm worried because he got really bloated as well but the vet gave me carafate two days ago to give him and that seems to be helping the bloating a lot but that's it.

I'm reading a lot on here about how metronidazole doesn't work and that ronidazole is the medicine he needs. I'm in Texas, USA and I find that a lot of vets here don't prescribe ronidazole. I took him to one vet first who did a fecal and said he was clear but the other one I took him too said it was positive for TF. He did it in the office (its an animal hospital) so idk if they did the PCR or not.

I'm so concerned because all he does is SLEEP all day. He will follow me around the apartment when I get up and move around but he won't play with any toys that jingle or anything. I'm a hunter and he did enjoy going outside and would watch bugs fly around and would try to pounce on beetles but otherwise he just meows a lot, sits around/sleeps.

I'm not sure what else I can do for him :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would call the vet back and ask about the ronidazole. That's really the only thing that is going to clear the TF and since he's not really improving it's pretty clear that the antibiotics are not working. I would be really concerned with such a young kitten that's lethargic. When they're little like that things can go from bad to worse pretty fast.

I don't know where you're at in TX but if you're in the north Dallas area I can recommend our vet's office. Parker Animal & Bird clinic in Plano. Dr Blonien owns the practice and he loves Bengals, Dr Whetstone is great too - all of their vets really are top notch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I did just talk to my breeder and she is concerned since none of the other people who bought bengals from her have had diarrhea. So she's going to get her vet to do a Saline rinse and PCR test on his fecal for me and check him out this weekend. Praying for the best for this little guy!

Hopefully if it isn't TF it is something else simple and curable!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'll text our vet tech at Parker and ask about the ronidazole.

I'm glad the breeder is lending some support and is going to get him tested with her vet. Did you get him here in TX? Diesel came from a breeder in Decatur TX.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yes, he came from Texas - Aubrey, TX to be specific! She's being really helpful through this whole process. She told me she had a bout of TF about 8 years ago when she brought a ragdoll in from the UK but hasn't had problems since so we will see what's going on with this little guy!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm happy you finally discovered the reason for the diarrhea. I'm glad you're getting ronidazole as that seems to be the medication that works. Know that TF is not easy to get rid of -- and some cats need a longer treatment period. And .. the diarrhea may not clear up immediately either. It can take months. Ask the vet about a probiotic that may help the digestive system. Pet medication is not cheap, and I hate that you wasted $$$ on a medication that didn't work for your kitty.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:44 am 
Bengal Kitten

Yeah she's wonderful! She's going to have one more litter then just do her Ragdolls because she's such a small breeder for Bengals she has a hard time selling them.

Diarrhea is gone! Woo! PCR came back negative from A&M which is fantastic. We gave him a little wormer too and he's now a crazy little kitten and I couldn't be happier! The only thing that concerns me now is he gets a big ol' pot belly and I'm not sure if it's normal or not. It goes down after he poops but I still feel like it's more distended than it should be.

Any thoughts?

I'll add some pictures when I get home!