It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: my cat smells hideous
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

ok so i know cats urine is probably up there with the worlds worst smells however. I feel like the change in her urine is quite extreme. before you could barely smell any type of litter in my house now she is literally stinking. I mean my eyes and nose are burning when i clean her out and I scoop her box daily. I thought it was the litter at firs (worlds best) so i changed to catsan clumping and shes still smelling horrendous. shes unspayed booked in tomorrow shes 7 months old . could the not being spayed contribute?

any tips for smelly felines?! It really is awful and i have a blocked nose alot of the time so i if i can smell it goodness knows how bad it actually is

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They say that intact cat urine is much stronger than if they've been spayed/neutered. It could be that she's reached sexual maturity so her urine smell has gotten stronger.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully, the spaying will help things, but it may take a little while for you to notice the difference. I don't smell Raiden's urine at all! And I can be right there watching him use the litter box. Since she's 7 months old, is it possible she's been in heat? Females will send off a smell to attract the males.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope she's not in heat as she is currently in the vet right now being spayed. Are they allowed to be spayed while on heat? I know dogs aren't. Iv looked up the signs for cats being in heat and its quite hard to tell because shes very vocal anyway and has different vocalisations for different things. she has been rubbing against us now I think of it but i really never thought much of it I thought the signs were more obvious but if smelly urine is an indication then its a possibility. although shes been smelling bad for quite a few weeks now

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Females can be spayed when in heat. The vet has to be more careful as things are "engorged" down there. Females (like human females) go into heat at different ages. It could be as early as 4 months, but most have their first heat by 6 months. Hopefully, the surgery will go well and the vet should have been able to answer your question about the foul smelling urine! I'm guessing once she recovers and her hormones are at the proper level, her urine will smell like typical cat urine (which still doesn't smell all that great). Keep us informed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

thanks sherry. she is back home now and recovering. I Will monitor the urine situation and keep you posted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad the surgery went well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just updating this and i have managed to resolve the issue. I moved her from worlds best litter to catsan clumping and she was also spayed. I dumped the entire contents of her tray even the clean litter and cleaned it all and that seems to have done the trick. her box was really deep because she likes to dig around And I think possibly she has broken up clumps so when im scooping i wasnt getting it all. so she has less litter now(but still more than enough) And thankfully the room is no longer stinking and my eyes are no longer burning :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

YAY!!!!!