[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Update on Jaego & food dilema??
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:37 am 
Senior Bengal

It was a stressful time and yes heart breaking is an understatement, I love all my furry babies and this was as traumatic for me as I think it must have been for them, the worry for me was the worst, not knowing what had caused it and where it had come from - I obviously started thinking is this something I have done? Or, is this something I could have prevented? How did it happen etc etc? Thankfully they are all insured so other than the excess it hasn't been an expense I have had to pick up although I would have paid whatever was necessary (as you do!), hopefully now the upset and worry is pretty much over. I have been in constant contact with Jaego's breeder (who I have used before) she has been very helpful, informative and given lots of support. I did wonder at first if he came with it, this I will never know but time wise it is possible, I am not looking to place any blame he didn't appear ill when we had him so I certainly don't hold her responsible and after discussing with our vet I have been advised he could have had it or it could have been dormant in him and the stress of moving brought it about or one of my other cats could have been carrying it and Jaego being so young and vulnerable could have picked it up from them so there are many possibilities but the main thing is that he appears as a normal, happy, healthy kitten now so I am hoping he is as good on the inside as he appears on the out. Both Jaego and Chester have a follow up appointment for a few weeks time so I will keep you all posted. xx

Proud mum, provider, waiter & general house slave to:
Meili brown spot born 07.11.09
Chester seal lynx rosetted born 10.04.14
Jaego melanistic born 16.05.15
Roxi big, sloppy French Mastiff born 10.04.11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So pleased you have got to the bottom of it all and it sounds like they are both responding well to their treatments.

Love the pictures and the fact that Jaego and Chester have become partners in crime lol xx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow they are all gorgeous, kennedy included! So glad you can now move forward armed with knowledge of what the issues are and hopefully fully successful treatment. Just love the cat tree with proper curved baskets. Where is it from? Perfect to stop a comatose bengal from falling off the tree! Please let me know it's name and where I can get it from?

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think its from Zooplus as I googled it as soon as I saw it - I really want one but apparently I'm not allowed to buy anything else for the boys :sad:

Flower cat tree, £69.

I'm sure Rebecca will let you know where she got hers from though and the price. Its much more stylish than the one I have!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:46 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi - Yes the cat tree is from zooplus. I have a confession - I also bought the 'super-large' one but until my partner removes his marine tank from the lounge I have no room for it so it is currently boxed and in the attic! It will soon be taking pride of place in the lounge as the fish will be gone by Christmas - will be our Xmas present to the kitties :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope the fish being gone by Christmas has nothing to do with your Bengals lol

I might order one regardless of what my partner has said, he's at sea so he won't know until its too late :biggrin: exactly what I did with the current cat tree and which he considers a monstrosity lol

Zooplus seems to have some good cardboard scratchers as well at a really good price, so I can feel a spend up coming on... still they are so appreciative, its hard to deny these Bengals!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you read up on TF, you'll see it's common in kittens. It's a transmittable parasite, so you have to think it's in the cattery somewhere. Cats can carry the parasite for a while and not have the symptoms, which would make me worry a little bit about the mother of the kittens -- or if all the queens/studs at the breeder are together -- that could be the problem. Hopefully you have it under control right now. Keep us updated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:07 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:28 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hope someone is taking the fish and the fish tank! I've never ever been interested in fish. My mother had guppies and it was her pride and joy when they had babies and she had to keep them separated so they didn't get eaten! No filtered tank back them -- fish bowls that she had to scoop the fish out of, clean out the bowl, put everything back (fresh gavel, etc) and put the fish back in and do it all over again the next week. Too much like work! And even the large filtered tanks have to be cleaned out at some point. If I want to see marine life, I can head to the Chattanooga Aquarium which is fabulous and see all the fish I want! LOL.

I'm sure your babies will miss the fish. They can be hours of enjoyment for the munchkins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:10 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi everyone!

Its been a while since my last lengthy post. I'd like to say we've seen the last of the tri tri infection but afraid we have not!
Jaego finished the ronidazole and it appeared to have done the job, however it reoccurred in Chester (who had not had this drug as vets would not prescribe without a positive test and we did not obtain one) so Chester re-infected Jaego! We are now back to square one.
A lengthy, very frustrated discussion with the vet resulted in my taking poo samples for both boys which have now been sent off for sampling and we are currently waiting on results. If they both test positive we will be treating both boys at the same time so hopefully will not have the opportunity to re-infect each other, although I am aware that it can sometimes not clear it all and this can lead to it flaring back up so it is not necessarily a done deal if we retreat. That said the vets previously wanted the boys on a gastro intestinal diet which they would not eat, I have now managed to get them eating a dry biscuit GI diet which is down all day and I give twice daily feeds of a wet version of the same GI diet which they enjoy, I am also able to add the probiotic powder to their wet food and this diet is deffinately helping their tummies (poo still soft and often like a cow pat - occasional stool but not runny!)
We are advised by he vet that if we retreat and it does re-occur then we will need to allow them time to expel this bug themselves (which they would do but with Jaego being so young when it first happened we couldn't risk him being so poorly again and ending up hospitalised as he weakened very quickly. He is now around 3-4 times the size he was when he first came home at the age of 12 weeks, he is in every other way a healthy. happy kitten.
The bug has not upset them in any way other than their poos, they are total lunatics, the boys have really bonded well now and Meili our older girl plays and loves them too but also now has chance to enjoy some quiet time whilst the boys tear around the house, Chester used to get quite frustrated when she would not play, however I think he is now getting a taste of his own medicine as Jaego does not leave him alone, wherever Chester goes Jaego will follow.

I have attached a few recent pics. It is very difficult to get Jaegos markings to show, being melanistic they show brilliantly when he has the sunshine in his coat but then the photo is obscured so I'm afraid on most of these he looks like any other black cat but I would just like to say he has got some lovely markings if only I could capture them! I will keep trying but for now here's my latest pics of the terrific trio.....

boys.jpg
a.jpg
Meili.jpg
d.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They are just beautiful!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:45 pm 
Senior Bengal

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that you are still dealing with this! Hopefully treating them both simultaneously will do the trick this time. Fingers crossed for you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just know it can take a while to clear TF. The medication is for two weeks, however, it can reinfest itself -- as you know and you're back to square one. Hopefully, now you can get them both healthy -- just know the diarrhea may take several months to clear up even when the TF has cleared. It's got to be the worst parasite on earth!