[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - breeder describes kitten as "typical female" ??
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey guys,

So I sent a breeder an enquiry about a kitten she had.

As I care a lot about personality, I kindly asked her if she could tell me what the kitten’s personality is like. I was expecting answers such as – she is very playful, she is curious, likes cuddles, likes to climb, is shy, is very confident and friendly, etc.

This is what the breeder said:

“She is a typical female.”

What exactly is a typical female??!

She then followed by saying “She is reserved but once she settles would be good.”

I also asked for more photos of the kitten, but the breeder only sent me 3 photos, all of the kitten’s face. None of her body so I could not see her markings.

Does this sound strange to anyone? I am not planning on buying from this breeder, by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you are asking if she's dodgy, I wouldn't say so based on that email.

I would guess that she has attributed certain traits to female kittens, and might not realise not everyone else has as well. You would just have to ask her what she means. Surely all kittens are playful, curious, and like to climb so there isn't much point her saying these is there? She can tell you if the kitten is bold or shy and she has told you the kitten is shy. And as she was implying, once this kitten is home, you can influence who they become. I don't know what kind of "personality" you are looking for, but if you wanted more specifics than that, I think a telephone conversation would be better than emailing.

You'd have to ask about the photos as well. A lot of people are truly awful at photography, particularly of moving objects. And awful at marketing in general.

All this is by the bye, you have chosen your kitten no?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I suspected we were using the word personality differently. To me, playfulness, curiosity, testing physical abilities at climbing are health qualities, something any healthy kitten should be doing. I would then refer to bold and shy personality qualities, for example a bold kitten may explore further and higher than a shy kitten, may happily approach strangers.

I mentioned marketing and photography because being good or bad at these is not necessarily an indication of how good the person is at breeding cats. I could write about this kitten:

"This brown girl has stunningly large, open rosettes at an early stage, she will be a real beauty. She is a steady-footed little girl, who loves to climb and slowly explore her world. A practical little cat, she watches her crazy brothers get themselves into trouble, but she isn't afraid to give them a good batting when the mood strikes her! She is a real momma's girl, and will surely form a unique, strong bond to whoever takes her home."

I haven't said anything that the breeder didn't, just added some anthropomorphism to dress it up, because I know people like this. I also know how to build a pretty website, and have a nice camera and enjoy photography, so I suspect I can sell this kitten much better than this breeder. The actual kitten hasn't changed though!

It can be hard, but try not to judge a breeder too much on the window dressing :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To me, it sounds as if the breeder hasn't spent enough time observing the kittens to give any type of description. Plus only photographing the face would enable her to substitute one for the other and not keep track of each kitten. It seems like the only distinguishing thing she is selling is a male or female bengal kitten. Other than the sex, maybe they are all the same to the breeder.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can only imagine how much time breeding bengals must take on a breeder! I'm sure she is fielding questions left and right. And who knows how many kittens she may be dealing with right now. Gads, if a queen had 7 kittens, I don't know that I would remember much about any of the kitties! As always, if you're not happy when the communication you're getting from a breeder, you find another one. No two breeders are going to be alike. The breeder may think that all kittens are playful, curious, etc. They are!!! Since you aren't planning on getting this kitty anyway ... it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with you completely on the anthropomorphisms. Any characteristic or trait can easily be drawn out into a lengthy description.

I was just looking at my communication with a breeder from a marketing/sales point of view, and the fact that the communication was lacking.

I was legitimately interested in this kitten and sent her a lengthy email telling her about myself, what I am looking for and asking questions about her kitten.

All I got in return was a couple of short sentences and that, to me, isn’t very good communication which sounds like she isn’t interested in selling the kitten.

I simply wanted to converse, find out a little bit more about her cattery and her kittens instead of just being told she is a ‘typical female’.

At this stage, the breeder had only two kittens for sale - a male and a female.

I agree, she may very well be busy and have many questions but I think any legitimate enquiry (which mine was) should be treated professionally if you are a genuine breeder looking for good homes for your kittens.

Okay end of rant!! Let us stop here! Her kitten was absolutely gorgeous (well, her face was as that was all I saw!) but I only wish communication was a bit better.

I have decided on another kitten from another breeder and am very happy :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes you are right, if you have a choice of breeders in your area then by all means give your business to the one that is really putting the effort in to tell you want to know, by the medium you prefer (I myself prefer email then straight to home visit, I am a bit shy and don't really like talking on the phone).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I correspond via email with a LOT of friends and family! Some enjoy typing out lengthy emails. Others try to make them as short as they can with all the texting abbreviations. Obviously different personalities and attitude toward using email as a form of correspondence. Perhaps a phone call would have been better? At any rate ... you're going to find something different with every single breeder! Thankfully, you have a choice as there are tons of bengal breeders out there. While you may have been disappointed with her reply, another person would not have -- it's just how you feel about it! I agree that being vague isn't great, but I have the option (as you did) of stepping away and moving on to a different breeder. My husband claims I defend people too much -- but I don't jump to conclusions because there could always be a backstory that we don't know about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you get any alarm bells ringing in your head then that may well be a good enough reason to avoid this breeder.

Trust your instincts. If that was me I wouldn't take this any further.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's definitely the advice we give around here, Debbie! Trust your gut instinct! Unfortunately, there are members here who didn't do that and regretted it later, so the more we can put it out there, the more people will be aware.