[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Need advice please on adopted bengal from previous home
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello all, we adopted just over a week ago a beautiful bengal. She was previously living with a family for almost 3 years. When he brought her to me she hissed at even him and he said she does that was she is unsure of her surrounding, just have patience and she will come around. I need advice on how can we make her feel more comfortable? I know it's still very early but we want to make sure we are doing things right. Bella wants so much to go outside for a walk (she was always walked before be previous owner) but when we try to put her harness on, she hisses and scratches like crazy so we stop trying. I sit on the floor and let her come to me on her terms and she will rub up against me back and forth and then all of a sudden start hissing at me and swatting. She has all her belongings from her last home, tree, toys and food, dishes and litter. Any advice on how to make her feel more at home and trust us more?
Thanks for your advice :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Play with her with a wand toy or a laser toy. Let her come to you. Talk to her. Give her treats. She will take a while to be comfortable with you around. You and your home are completely different than her old home. Be patient and look for quick opportunities for positive interaction as well as longer opportunities. It sounds like you are doing well so far! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, congratulations on your kitty! You need to step back and take a deep breath! Everything is going to be fine. Know that Bella is completely stressed out at being turned over to new humans and a new environment with new smells. Give her time -- that's all she needs. She needs to find her confidence and be comfortable in her new surroundings and you will see a HUGE different in her. She needs to go at HER pace, not your pace. She may hiss, she may hide, she may not want any contact with you. It's perfectly normal and you don't want to push her. Try to engage her in playing with toys (wand toys are great with you on the other end). Continue getting down to her level and let her approach you. Talk softly to her if she's hiding or when she's eating. She will soon associate all the good things with you. Feed her some treats. She is not going to be ready to go for walks until she is comfortable with you, so don't rush it. Don't take the hissing personally. It's Bella's way of saying she's stressed out. Have the patience -- and give this time. It may take a couple of weeks or months -- just know that before too long, she will be a wonderful part of your family. You should see improvement over time. Please keep us posted and feel free to continue to ask questions!