It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:52 am 
Bengal Kitten

I became a Bengal mommy completely by accident! I was keeping my eye out for a cat or kitten and had been checking the papers, Craigslist, and Facebook. I wasn't looking for any particular kind of cat, just one to keep me company while my husband is out of town during the week. I happened upon a listing on Craigslist for a year old brother and sister pair of gorgeous cats. Looking at the pictures I thought they kinda looked like Bengals but figured they were a mix or just really pretty tabbys. I met them and sorta fell in love. At least enough I knew we would work out. I brought them home yesterday and as I watched them explore the house, interact with each other, and really got a good look at them, they kept looking more and more like Bengals. I started researching Bengals and every physical and personality trait they have is consistent with Bengals. I'm under no illusion that I have happened upon 2 full blooded Bengals but I think they are close.

They are amazing!!!! I am loving watching them slowly explore the house and slowly warm up to me! Actually, Morgan (the male) just curled up beside my legs and I am taking that as high praise! They weren't exactly mistreated at their previous home but I don't think they were cared for as well as they should have been. I KNOW they weren't. They have never been to the vet and obviously haven't been fixed. Sooooo, Penelope has just weaned a litter! :evil: Also, they are a little thin and their coats aren't as soft and smooth as they should be! We have an appointment at my vet next week for a good once over, to start vaccinations, and schedule surgeries.

Things are going well adjusting. I don't have any other cats but I do have two black labs. I haven't introduced them to the one that is primarily outside and they have seen the indoor one but haven't interacted with her. My house isn't very big so when I am home I am allowing them to roam as they wish. When I leave for work they are in my bathroom. I don't expect any problems with my dogs but don't want to take any chances when I'm not there. They are eating well and no bathroom accidents yet, either. They have used both litter boxes. When I got home from work today I went in the bathroom with them and petted them a little and tried to get them to play. They were a little cautious and didn't really want to. So, I left the bathroom door open and left them alone. I went back a time or two and rubbed their heads and tummies and batted a ball around with them a little. I was sitting here watching TV a little while later and felt something land on the back of the couch behind my head. There was sweet Penelope and sweet Morgan wasn't far behind her.

I apologize for this lengthy post but I just can't stop talking about them!! I'm looking forward to them being completely integrated into the household. I love all of their little (and big) noises and how Morgan keeps a protective eye on Penelope. I think I'm gonna love being a Bengal mommy!!

Starr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congratulations!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Starr, I hope you are planning to take them both to the vet for a checkup and to start a medical file on each of them. And make sure they are fixed! Your household will be so much better for it! Since you have no papers there is no way to know if these are purebred bengals and any kittens would have pretty much zero value. There is an overabundance of kittens now ... and I know you'd rather be enjoying the two beauties you have rather than dealing with a litter of 6 or more kittens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:23 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yea, that's what I meant when I said that we have appointments next week to go see the vet. They will be getting a head to tail exam, start vaccinations, and schedule spay and neuter appointments.