[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Introducing Bengal to dogs
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My sister has two ridiculously soppy black labs. When we get together for big family gatherings at my house the dogs do not come as I don't want Oscar stressed. One of the dogs is only six and has just had a large tumour removed and is now having chemo. Obviously my sister is pretty protective of Woody at the moment and understandably does not want to leave him at home. We have a few things coming up in the next couple of months which mean she will need to bring the dogs. Any tips or advice to get them together safely. My house is open plan so very few doors im afraid. I just don't know how it will pan out with introductions. When we first got Oscar after he got settled the dogs did come over on leads but he just hid under the beds upstairs. A month later the we did have the dogs here again and I shut Oscar in his utility room with access to the outside through his cat flap but he could not access the house. He kept going outside and sitting at all the glass doors meowing to come in. The dogs kept rushing over and Oscar did not run away. I felt awful as he was shut outside his own house. I'm just worried that when they meet the dogs will rush up to him as they just love everybody and everything and think this feeling should be returned! Will he run? will he take one of their eyes out??? My best idea at present is to have Oscars bedroom door(utility room) open and put a child stair gate across so the dogs can't get in but he can have his private room but also be able to go into the house if he wants to. Any suggestions would be really gratefully received as I am worried. Woody and Willow are fine with my mums cat but I just have no idea how Oscar will react :sad:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow, that's a difficult one. I can totally understand your sister, but like you say, it's Oscar's home. Maybe keep the dogs on a lead, and see how Oscar reacts to them. He might surprise you, he's come on leaps and bounds since he's been with you. From what you've said on here it sounds like you've worked miracles with him, and he's way more relaxed now.

When we introduced a Doberman puppy to our moggy many years ago, she gave her a swipe on the nose and the Doberman was her slave from then on and her protector. She would see off other cats if they were aggressive to her.

If it doesn't go well I guess the only thing you can do is what you did last time - although it must be heartbreaking to see him crying like that. But if she is going to be with you quite a lot I bet Oscar will end up best buddies with the dogs!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

When I brought my puppy home my bengals hid in my room for two days. It is now four months on and they still don't exist amicably.

I would think your situation would be easy enough to progress though, because your sister's dogs are older, used to cats, and I presume do not chase them. My puppy tries to chase my cats or engage them in play, and this is where all our problems are.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your post. Why is it bad that Oscar hides under the bed? If that is where he feels safe, great, and as time passes he will probably start to come out and test the waters.

The dogs should be on lead for initial meetings if you think they will run at him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't mind him hiding under the bed but it's his house and I feel bad for him! What I don't want is him hiding upstairs, then coming down and him and the dogs meeting in an out of control way. The dogs are just lovely but you know how labs are all over you and want you to love them! I would like to introduce them in a controlled way. I think dogs on leads is the way to go and let Oscar approach if he feels safe.

UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

As the dogs have visited previously, hopefully Oscar will already be familiar with their scent and the fact he didn't run away from the glass doors when they approached sounds like a good sign as well.

My two are scared of everything and anything - however we had a black lab living next door to us, he was pretty old (the family have moved now) but he came into our garden one day with his owner while we had a chat, and he stood at the conservatory door wagging his tail at them while they were in there, and apart from Hendrix coming to the door after he'd left to be nosy, they didn't blink an eye. They never seemed scared of Bruce whereas in general they are scared of their own shadows.

I really hope it goes well, especially as they will be visiting a lot over the next couple of months - let us know how it all goes. Good luck x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, the doggie will be invading Oscar's territory. If this were my sister, I'd insist they bring a crate and keep the dog in there for the most part. They can take the dog outside on a leash to do its business. But I will not stress of my kitty for the sake of this dog. You don't want to create any behavioral problems for Oscar once the doggie leaves. That's just my opinion, Melissa.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thats my worry Sherry. It's two dogs and they are big labs so don't think crates are an option. Wish my house was not so open plan. Oh well will keep them on leads and see what happens.

UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you discussed your concerns with your sister? Obviously you don't want all the hard work you've done with Oscar to be undone.

Is there a calmer dog out of the two who you can introduce to Oscar first and see how that goes? If it went badly I certainly wouldn't push it as it isn't fair on Oscar. My two generally aren't impressed when we have a houseful of people, let alone two high energy labs!

Do you have outbuildings where the dogs can safely go sometimes so Oscar can have some time indoors or would your sister not be happy with that? A 'timeshare' approach might be necessary so Oscar doesn't feel driven out of his own home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My sister is so protective of the dogs at the moment and I understand why. Will put my thinking cap on and maybe use stair gates across living room access so dogs stay in there. We are open plan but access to living room is probably 10ft wide and my sister has a playpen which opens wide from when her two were pups which could block that. That way they are confined and Oscar has the rest of the house. Would love to get them together as it would make social occasions much easier!

UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think I'd be going to my sister's house -- I would not want two big dogs running around my home, bumping into people. This is going to be a huge inconvenience for you and especially Oscar. Seriously ... move the family get together to her house. There is no way I'd allow two dogs like that into my home. I could put them in Raiden's cat enclosure which is huge -- but still .... I don't want to be constantly having to deal with dogs damaging my home or attacking my cat. Sorry, sister!