[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - New Bengal owner trying to make friends with her kitten
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have just become the owner of a 11 week old silver Bengal, now named Tilly. I only brought her home on Sunday 13th September 2015 and she is a very vocal and curious (in certain areas of the house). She is already litter trained, eating and drinking well but extremely cautious about being handled and refusing to allow any form of handling (even for food). I have signed onto the forum as I need to take her to the vets this week or early next week for her vaccinations and a. have to get her into her travel basket and b. the vets will have to try an give her her vaccinations and microchip.

She will play well, and will come near one of us, but will not suffer handling at all and hisses if we come too near and run and hide.

Does anybody have any good ideas? I cannot bribe her with food and have just been trying to talk to her and give her space (without giving in too much or else she will think she is the boss)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello and welcome!

Congratulations on your new addition. Tilly hasn't been with you long, so she's probably still a bit scared as she still needs to settle into her new home. Have you given her free run of your home straight away? That might be a bit overwhelming for her if so, it is generally recommended to introduce them to a 'safe room' for at least a few days. Let her get used to you and a small area first so she can gain confidence. Bengals in general aren't very keen on being picked up unless they feel like it. I think if it was me, I'd put off the vet until next week, otherwise she has the trauma of moving home and the vet all in one week. Hopefully by next week she will feel more relaxed and settled with you.

Re getting her into her basket, do you have it out so its a familiar object to her? One of my two sleeps in his and it isn't an object he immediately associates with the vet as a result. I do normally chuck a treat in and once he's gone to get it, close the door. However, if she can't be bribed, throwing a toy she likes in there may do the trick, or if you have a wand toy, poke it through from the back so she has to chase it in there. I'm sure you will find a way, and they will know how to handle her at the vets - that is their job after all. At my vet, they try to make sure you are not associated with anything your pet won't like. Jagger was taken out the back for someone else to hold while he had vaccinations and his microchip. Came back to me purring and kneading as he loved all the fuss! Hendrix was sedated as he was there for an x-ray anyway and was totally oblivious to the whole microchip trauma.

Just take it slow and don't expect too much in the first few weeks. Talk to her quietly and let her take things at her own pace. They change massively in their first few weeks/months as their personality starts to come through.

Good luck and would love to see a pic of your new girl!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you Clare!

I have only introduced her to 2 rooms for now, and she finally allowed me to give her a few strokes this morning as she was asleep on the chair beside me (on a blanket from her original home).

Still extremely jumpy though and nervous, but still has a good appetite and playing with her toys, so just trying to give her some space for now.

Will definitely leave the vets until next week.

Thanks for that.

Colette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like it is all going fine especially as she is eating well. We brought home two siblings so they had each other and still hid under the bed for a couple of days. We let them get on with it, and then one day, they were both on my other half's lap when I got home from work... the next day I got home and they were both jumping up my legs and started to use me as a climbing frame lol

I think that's when I started to look at cat trees for them!

Enjoy the 'quiet' time - pretty soon she'll be running you ragged lol x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tilly is still trying to get used to her new surroundings. She's just a little kitten. It shouldn't be difficult to pick her up and place her in a carrier. Get a small towel (even a wash cloth might do) and grab her with that and place her inside the carrier. I've had cats who fought and fought, but I can pick Raiden up and drop him in through the top door of the carrier I have. Getting her in won't be the issue. Listening to her howl in the car the entire trip to the vet and back will be the best part.

Congratulations on your baby! She'll be much more confident and comfortable as time goes by. No cat likes a trip to the vet, so you can expect her to be hiding once you set her free upon your return.

All you need is time and patience and to let Tilly go at her own pace with you. She's been separated from her mom and siblings and put into a home with new people and new smells. It's scary. Continue to engage her in play with toys. Talk softly to her all the time -- you're probably already doing that. Tilly will settle in. Just give her some time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think you're over-thinking it. And I don't think you should put it off. Better sooner rather than later.

Just make sure you have a very large, very sturdy carrier. Put it down, open the door. scoop up your kitten, and put her in. You can even turn the carrier onto it's side so that the open door is facing up, and "parachute" her in, using gravity to your advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Disguise the carrier with a towel over it and pull it away as you drop her in.

I had a tough time getting one of mine to the vet the other day. I got a new carrier but turns out it is too small and the bottom is floppy. It was like putting her in a mesh sack. She screamed bloody murder the whole way there and back and it's less than 2 miles from my house. Now I have to get another carrier...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I purchased a large, hard-sided carrier that has two doors. The top door has been a lifesaver. Putting the carrier so the front door faces up is the best advice. I wish I'd known that when I had my other kitties. They don't have enough room to push their back legs down to keep their bodies outside the door opening. But a little kitten shouldn't be a huge deal. Raiden's vet is 2 miles down the street -- one traffic light and listening to him howl is bad enough. But, he also howls the whole time he is in the waiting room. It's super embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you all for your advice! I have found out today that Tilly can be bribed!!!! Vets next week, bribes at the ready (she'll even come onto my lap for a treat)

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, Tilly will be happy until she realizes she's going to the vet! LOL. Sometimes I really do think cat owners over-think things. It's really simple -- and we also worry way too much. Hopefully, the vet visit will go great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yeah, Blondie has figured out pill popper treats hide medicine. Now she won't touch them. Grace still chows down on them and doesn't care.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengals are smart? Really? LOL. They are super intelligent and can outsmart a human any day! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: