It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:16 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi

My two very young bengal cats have tested positive with TF (Tritrichomonas Foetus). The vets say that they can prescribe the ronidazole for them in a fairly low dose (they mentined 10 mg).

Have any of you had experience with this drug? I am wanting to research it heavily before I give it to them as I am concerned with side effects.

At present we are waiting for the drug to be delivered (takes a little while as it's un licensed) .... and in the meantime I am doing the following:-

Feeding them on the sensitive diet food

Giving them probiotics

Keeping their litter trays uber clean and sterile - Very frequent total changes and wash out with bleach and hose pipe and removing all mess as soon as it's done. Also spraying their litter mats with a diluted hibi scrub solution.

If anyone has past experience of this situation and the ronidazole drug I'd love to hear how you got on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know LisaLisa (member on this forum) had TF with her two new kittens. If you read through the topics on TF here, you may find several posts from her. I believe she had to give them Ronidazole. You can always message her (send a PM -- private message) and see if she will reply to you. She managed to get through it. I know you will as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:32 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi

Thanks, I have messaged her

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

I have replied to your message.

I had no problems with the Ronidazole - don't think there have been any reported psychological problems for a good few years now since they revised the dose per kg weight of cat.

As long as both cats are being treated at the same time, as mine were, you should have no problems with re-infection and the TF should be banished.

LisaLisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

How are they getting on? Hope you managed to get the Ronidazole in without too much hassle :)

Lisalisa
X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lisa, thank you so very much to taking the time to message the member about this. I know how much you went through with your two. You used to be on the forum all the time and then stopped. Always loved reading your posts and am happy to see you're back -- if only briefly. Thanks for all your helpful advice on TF.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aw Sherry that's lovely. Happy to help. I did not disappear but have been lurking rather than actively commenting. Had a mad few months....moved house (stressful), went on holiday, changed jobs twice (long story), dad in law had stroke been in hospital for nearly 3 months, etc....life just gets in the way sometimes.

Hope you are well and look forward to more chats soon I hope.

Lisalisa
X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:15 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi my two boys as well were treated with ronidazole for TF when they were 3-4 months old. It was a very stressful time and they were also on antibiotics for campylobacter at the same time (they had both conditions when we got them and it took a while to get a positive diagnosis).

They were absolutely fine after the treatment. However last year one of them's teeth all fell out. He had to have all sorts of tests and all were negative. Today I have been at the vets with my other boy who has had the same thing. Lots of teeth fallen out and the other had to be removed. The vet now thinks this is a side effect from taking the ronidazole or antibiotics so young.

Although it's been uncomfortable for them to lose their teeth, they will have no long-term problems with eating. So I'm not saying this to put you off getting the treatment, more so that if the same thing happens you won't be as worried as we were wondering what had caused it.

Good luck and keep us posted on how they are doing. It will get better!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:06 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi Booshy, thanks for this info. Sounds quite radical, all their teeth coming out. I've seen humans with teeth issues due to taking large amounts of antibiotics in childhood.

I am now awaiting the delivery of the ronidazole drug for them. Using a fairly low dose I am told by the vets (who are being guided by a local university pet hospital who have more experience in treating this)....

Once the treatment is over I'll be giving them a top diet with plenty of probiotic supplements... hoping I can give them the best start, extremely frustrated at this vile parasite adding hurdles during their essential development periods.

It's so frustrating. The fact that TF seems to be mentioned on these forums so much must mean it's become a common problem in the breed. I'm furious that the breeder has let kittens be sold with this all going on... presumably TF has infested every cat in sight there!

They did also test positive for campylobacter... I wonder if this finds the gut more easy to populate in the presence of TF. I am told that it's present in the cats but doesn't affect them negatively, but if we get a big enough dose it can cause sickness..... The vet recommended treating them for this (with yet more antibiotics) for the sole purpose of protecting humans.... I have read that campylobacter is present in many mammals intestines as just one of many bacteria .... So I decided to take the risk and not treat them for this ....