[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Introducing myself and my two kitties!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh those kitties are so adorable. Welcome to the forum and congratulations!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Both kitties are gorgeous! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately, when you have a kitten shipped from a breeder, these things can happen, which stresses the poor kitten. Introduction between your two kitties should not have taken place as of yet. Zuki should be in a safe room. This is to protect your other kitty from catching anything Zuki may have brought with him. Plus, it allows Zuki to get acclimated to a new environment. The stress of leaving his mom and siblings can be traumatic.

This being said, you've already put your two kitties together. Do not assume just because initially things went okay that they will continue to do so. It's very rare that two strange cats get along well from the get-go. You will have to watch them carefully when they are together to make sure there is no aggression from either kitty. It sounds to me as if Lilo will become a surrogate mom of sorts for Zuki and that may help the situation.

Zuki is just gorgeous and I'm so happy he arrived okay. For his first day, he's done very well, considering! Keep us informed on his progress. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a beautiful snow bengal! I can't believe the mishap withe the flight arrival time. I would have been so upset with whoever communicated the wrong flight time. But I guess it's best to move past it since your new baby is adjusting so well and survived the ordeal. I'm sure you let the breeder know what happened so they can take steps to avoid this happening in the future. They may not be so lucky next time. If the crate was labeled with your phone number and instructions to call if not claimed within an hour of arrival, maybe the stress could have been avoided.

I have two kitties and I see them putting their paw on the forehead of each other when playing. I think they are trying to establish dominance over the other. Maybe Lilo is just letting Zuki know who is in charge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like a really good start. You are fortunate that Lilo is such an accommodating kitty. That is going to make things much much easier initially. Sheri is right though that what you did was a bit reckless. Sometimes kittens do come home with life-threatening and contagious illnesses, in which case you risk losing both cats. And it seems to be really common for the kitten to have some parasites initially as well. At least make sure the kitten gets looked over by the vet this first week, ok? That should happen regardless.

I did the same when I got my second cat, with the same result you had in terms of the two cats getting along. My resident cat was just off-the-charts accommodating of other cats, and everybody or everything that walked in the door was instantly her best friend. It actually made *me* jealous sometimes... nothing like your cat deciding that your new visitor is their best friend at first sight, lol. She took one look at the kitten I had gotten from the shelter, and proceeded to wash her from head to tail. The kitten was soaking wet afterwards, I actually had to towel her off :lol: It's a cat's way of saying "you belong here now, let's get that other smell off you and make you smell like you belong".

As far as the play goes... you'll have a learning curve in understanding what is really going on. It sure sounds like Lilo is just very gently playing with the kitten. When the kitten gets older, it is going to be harder and harder to tell. Generally you want to take your cues from the kitten. If the play is making the kitten upset to the point where he is cowering or hiding or whatnot, then it is probably going too far. If he bounces back afterwards, and wants another go at it, even if it looked (and sounded) too rough, then it is probably ok. Definitely err on the side of caution initially, but usually pet parents tend to read more aggression into the "rough play" than is really there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:38 am 
Senior Bengal

Both your fur babies are beautiful, one of mine is a snow and your snow is gorgeous x But I am a softie for anything with fur, pedigree, moggie cat or dog however Bengals are obviously my favourite!
I am pleased your introduction went well but have to agree with previous posts that this could have turned out much different. It is sad that Zuki had such a traumatic journey but thankfully he seems to have been able to put that behind him. Lilo seems to be very accommodating and I think as someone has already said seems to be taking a mothering role, this could well be the start of a beautiful bond between these pair. Enjoy (and please post more pics and updates) xx

Proud mum, provider, waiter & general house slave to:
Meili brown spot born 07.11.09
Chester seal lynx rosetted born 10.04.14
Jaego melanistic born 16.05.15
Roxi big, sloppy French Mastiff born 10.04.11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi again everyone. Thank you for all your replies.

I completely understand your concerns about the introductions, and it definitely was not something that I had planned.

It was an accident that Lilo slid through the door and greeted Zuki. Seeing as they both seemed happy to meet each other, I didn't have any worries about them not getting along.

5 days later, here they are in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9J8Pr1 ... e=youtu.be

They are still going well, Lilo seems to be getting frustrated with Zuki, though, as he keeps playing with her tail and she hisses/swats at him, but he just doesn't learn!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awe, sweet video. My two sisters love each other since day one, and they still have squabbles now and then. Even though your kitties get along, they may not 100% of the time. It's in a cats nature to be territorial over things and people. Those issues are usually sorted out during rough play with my two. LILO may not be up for that so it could appear that ZUKI is pestering him. That may happen more frequently as Zuki matures so be sure to catifying your house so LILO has options.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great video. They look like best friends to me!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my gosh! They are both gorgeous babies. I would love for my next Bengal to be a Snow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:55 am 
Senior Bengal

What a lovely video, they certainly seem to be getting along well. Glad they are so happy already xx

Proud mum, provider, waiter & general house slave to:
Meili brown spot born 07.11.09
Chester seal lynx rosetted born 10.04.14
Jaego melanistic born 16.05.15
Roxi big, sloppy French Mastiff born 10.04.11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for your sweet messages, everyone! :)

I had a scary moment almost a week ago when my moggie Lilo started acting strange. Sleeping all of the day and night, not being her curious, playful or active self. Hissing at Zuki and showing no interest in him.

I noticed she had no “meow” and her voice was croakey. She wasn’t eating or drinking at all.

So we took her to the vet. The vet checked her and said he doesn’t know 100% what is wrong but it could be a throat infection. So he gave her two antibiotic shots. A day later, she was doing great!! Eating all of her breakfast/dinner and even asking for more food, being sweet and curious, running around, chasing Zuki and being very, very playful!

For a minute there I thought they didn’t like each other anymore but Lilo was just not well and now they are back to being best friends!

Here is another video of them together: https://instagram.com/p/6cL6e6AheV/?tak ... o_and_zuki

Follow their Instagram account if you like! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm glad Lilo is okay! You're getting some really great videos. So happy the two get along so well.