[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - anyone familiar with brown recluse spider bites ?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and would like some help with my cat dog his names dog can be confusing ... My cat and I have moved to victoria bc for a year to assist my grandmother. Dog has a strange rash of some sort on top of his back near his shoulder blade. He woke me up thrashing around after I found out what he was doing a book fell upon that spider after investigation it is a brown recluse. I had noticed the loss of hair/rash before but didn't think much because he sometimes loses small sections of fur in that area when he's stressed. After seeing the spider I examined closet and knew it was something strange usually it's smooth normal skin when he loses hair due to stress. I ripped the suite apart at my grandmas house where I'm staying (pulled all furniture out and what not) I found and identified 9 spiders 3 wolf 6 recluse. Needless to sat I haven't slept tonight and I'm buying every spider trap I can get when the stores open. I also noticed he checks out corners and base boards he's looking for them. This cat is the only thing I have from my edmonton life sold my house my girlfriend left me blah blah blah point is I love him so I took him to an emergency vet clinic last night where I was treated like a second class citizen. The vet told me it may be a spider bite but they don't give antibiotics for that and I know that's bullwhip because when my mother was bit they gave her a needle right into the bite (antibiotic) and pills to follow. Anyhow I'll post a pic let me know what you guys think. Oh also he's been acting strange and he threw up a few days ago he has never thrown up in his 3 years on earth. Thank you seems I can't get a picture to upload ... if you think you can help maybe you could shoot me your email and I'll send it to you that way ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brown recluse spider bites in humans can have disastrous results. Their venom attacks tissue and destroys it, leaving huge holes in the skin! Now, consider a much smaller creature that gets bitten by one. The first thing I would have done is get the cat to the vet. I would think enough bites could actually cause death in a cat. Just google and you can see that a 62 year old man died from a bite as well as a 5 year old boy! I would not take any chances .... your kitty needs to see a vet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would go to another vet if the first one told you they don't treat spider bites. Make sure you tell them it was a Brown Recluse.

Brown Recluse in particular cause the tissue around the bit to start dying off and if it's not treated quickly it is easily fatal because the tissue death spreads so fast.

I had a friend bit by one who almost lost her leg because the first doctor she went to didn't believe it was a brown recluse.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Unfortunately, where I live, brown recluses are just about everywhere. Thankfully, I don't have them in my house. I hate spiders, period! Hopefully, steam fitter josh will let us know how the poor baby is doing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have them here and even though I haven't seen one yet I'm terrified of one of the animals being bitten. We have an exterminator that comes every 3 months and sprays inside and outside the house.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I do find spiders in my house -- just not brown recluse. Raiden's enclosure gets spider webs overnight. I can't keep up with them. When I took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago, I'd found a spider web on his cheek and thought he'd gotten bit by the spider. That took us in a totally different direction at the vet and didn't realize it wasn't the culprit! Any type of insect bite is horrible, especially for a cat. They inject the same amount of venom into a much smaller creature.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I see spider webs on my screened in patio during the hot months. They appear overnight. They are small spiders and hang out under the edge of the pool. They leave in the cooler months and seem harmless. I don't know if we have brown recluse spiders in Florida, but they sound nasty. I think I woud get an exterminator involved. I hate to expose my cats to those chemicals, but getting bit by one of those brown recluse spiders sounds like a much more dangerous threat.