[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Should I Give Him Back?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I Give Him Back?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

Okay so we got our new kitten Cecil at a pound for $40.00. I know its hard to believe hes a Bengal based on where he came from and how much he costed- but since weve had him hes been identified as a Bengal by a vet and a professional breeder. However, we didnt want a Bengal and wouldnt have gotten him if we had known. Dont get me wrong hes sweet- but I was looking online and apparently Bengals dont make good pets. Hes nice now- but I fear how he will act when he gets older. There is a policy at this pound that we can bring him back anytime. Should we? Or should we wait and see? If so, is there any way to raise him to make sure hes not too crazy when he gets older? Thank you for any advice!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. I don't know who told you bengals don't make good pets -- THEY ARE WRONG! If that were the case nobody would own a bengal. The members of this forum are bengal owners and we can tell you they make wonderful pets.

Bengals are a unique breed! They are not like your ordinary, regular domestic cat. Bengals are highly vocal, very energetic, extremely sweet and loving. They are not known to be lap cats and you can't carry them around all day long. Most do not like to be held. But, they are a very special kitty and they are absolutely stunning to look at.

With all cats, you need to have toys for stimulation and you need to play and interact with them. All cats should have a cat tree for climbing. Bengals, especially, love to be high up in the air.

Without proper documentation, it is impossible to know whether your kitty is a purebred bengal. Most bengals go to a cat rescue and not a pound, so don't be too sure that your kitty is a true bengal. That being said, your expectations may be too high and if you're not going to love your kitty and accept your kitty for who he is, then you don't need to own a cat, period.

My bengal is 8 years old and I got him when he was 6. He is the best behaved kitty and has never scratched or bitten me in the 2+ years I've had him. He's curious and wants to investigate everything -- but all cats do that. We take two walks a day on a harness and leash. He has a huge enclosure on the deck that he can access 24/7. Yes, bengals may require little more work and a lot more attention, but I wouldn't change things for the world.

I can't tell you what to do, but your kitty deserves a happy home with a happy owner.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I got my two kittens from a local rescue. I was looking for one Siamese cat to replace the one I had just lost. These two adorable kittes came as a pair, and I went for it. Right off I noticed they were not like any Siamese I ever had. I had one of the siblings genetically tested and my suspicions were confirmed. They are seal Lynx point mixed breed kittens. I was apprehensive like you at first. I didn't want a cat that would rock the boat. Instead I got two that rock my world. I never knew cats could be this fascinating. The three of us are very happy and I don't regret adopting them for a minute. I still keep in touch with their foster rescue mom. She text me an old baby photo of them this morning. She did a great job socializing them as they were rescued at 8 weeks from a kill shelter up north and in rough shape.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If he is sweet now, he is likely to get even more sweet! Bengals make wonderful pets! Keep him!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengals tend to be a bit bolder - in play, attitude, likes, dislikes, demands, etc. The biggest factor is how you raise them. If you meet their basic needs, play with them, and encourage positive actions and behaviors (like you would any cat), they will be fine. The cat that causes the most problems and gets into the most trouble is not my Bengal, he is the mixed breed from the rescue.

Also know that unless you have papers from a breeder, there is no way to be sure that he is a Bengal. He could be a mix or a beautiful tabby. If he has a personality that is a good fit for you, I would focus on that and disregard the Bengal hype.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

True, bengals are a more demanding cat! They are a more social cat. If you were looking for a kitty who ate, groomed and slept 20 hours out of the day, a bengal should not be your choice. In fact, your kitty could be a spotted tabby. Regardless, any cat can be a challenge and all cats can get into things they shouldn't. A bengal will want attention and play time. They will want to be where you are. You won't find them heading off to the corner to sleep for days. If you have catified your home for a highly energetic cat (cat trees, lots of toys, especially wand toys), and you're willing to put in the time for a cat, then this one can be a great addition to your family.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:02 am 
Bengal Cat

Bengals are a unique Cat Behavior And breed! They are not like your ordinary, regular domestic cat. Bengals are highly vocal, very energetic, extremely sweet and loving.