It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:26 pm 
Bengal Kitten

When I first got my Bengal kitten Jasper, we confined him to a small room so he could adjust to his new home gradually. After a week or so, we introduced our resident cat Mollie to him. She didn't like the idea of another kitty in the house and she especially hated it when he would try to play with her. I think he could sense this so now he does all in his power to provoke her... stalk her, chase her... etc. As soon as he sees her, he just chases her. Sometimes he will pin her down. I think that he for some reason takes pleasure in irritating her.

We keep the cats separate about 80% of the time. If I have them both in my room and correct Jasper when he bothers Mollie, they will usually cut it out but it makes for a stressful atmosphere in our household. Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have read your other post and see that Jasper is no longer a kitten and you've had him for a while. I'm guessing the biggest problem is that you have to keep Jasper in your room unless he's supervised in other areas of the house. You walk Jasper and play with him. Mollie still doesn't like him. Well, each cat has its own activity and energy level and they are not the same. Jasper wants to play and Mollie isn't interested. Are you also playing with Mollie -- all cats need that stimulation.

I think it's no wonder Jasper goes nuts when he finally is allowed out of his confined space and heads to the first moving thing he sees. Does he get along with the doggie okay? I think you need to make sure you have catified your home for both Jasper and Mollie. Cat trees, plenty of toys. With more time ..... who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't think he would deliberately irritate her! He sounds like a coiled spring that has been contained and poor Mollie is in the firing line. As Sherry said he needs more space. Lots and lots of play until he is worn out and also total catification so Mollie is never cornered and always has an escape route. A recent Jackson galaxy episode showed two cats and one was constantly after the other. The other cat acted as prey all the time so the dominant one 'hunted' it. Jackson showed how to stop the scared one acting as prey by giving it confidence - cat trees, tall shelves, multiple litter trays etc. As it's confidence grew he would play with them together and all was fine in the end. Give Jasper a chance. Maybe your Summer holiday could be "Operation Jasper and Mollie" If you work at it i'm sure you could have peace in your house and while Jasper will probably always play rough at least Mollie won't be scared as she will always be able to get away. By the way Jasper is one seriously Handsome boy! :biggrin:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Excellent advice, Melissa. I just don't think you can keep a bengal in a small area and not have the poor thing go stir crazy so that once he's released into a larger area, he goes after everything.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:27 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you all so much for the advice. I've been allowing Jasper to roam the house more often in the past couple days and I've noticed a big difference. If I play with him and tire him out, he will sit in the same room as Mollie and not bother her. Now that my family has seen that, they are encouraging me to allow him full access of the house more often (while still being supervised). Things are definitely improving. I see how I've neglected his need for more space and that has worsened the dynamics between the cats. Thanks again for the advice!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so pleased our advice has helped you out and it's made a difference! It's always best to supervise pets until you are confident they are great together. The extra play time means Jasper doesn't have the extra energy to bother Mollie and I know Mollie appreciates that. Owning a bengal is work! I'm sure Mollie just does her thing and is fine, but bengals require attention and play time and lots of space.

See how such a small thing can make such a huge difference! Congratulations!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:08 am 
Bengal Cat

Well Each cat has it own behavior and each cat has its own activity and energy level and they are not the same.