[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Need advice on when to spay
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:23 pm 
Senior Bengal

Good morning, all!
I need an opinion on when I should bring Sheena to be spayed. She will be six months old on August 3. I was planning on taking her that first week in August. However, I am going away from the 15th to the 20th. I feel my vacation is too soon following her surgery (in case there are complications). Should I wait till I get back? Or should I have her spayed around July 20th, when she will be not quite 6 months? My concern is that she may go into heat if I wait till I get back. Can someone please advise me? I'm a nervous wreck about it because I almost lost her after her second 3-in-1 vax. :cry: No more vaccinations for her, but spaying is a necessity. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I adopted my rescue kitties at 4 months and they were spayed already. They must have recovered quickly because I didn't see any scar or shaved fur. Personally I would do it before you go away. It sounds like you will have a good 3 weeks post procedure to watch over her. I think surgery becomes a bigger deal the older a cat gets. Kittens bounce back pretty quickly. It sounds like your kitty is pretty sensitive. One of mine is too. They are due for shots later this month. Make sure you vet remembers that and does not over medicate during surgery. Hope for the best. She does need to be spayed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would have her spayed sooner rather than later. You do not want her going into heat, which they do at around six months. Recovery time for a female is only a couple of weeks. A female does not have to be a certain age for spaying. Many breeders do it prior to the kitten going with the new owners, so you can schedule it at any time as long as your vet is comfortable in doing it. You have plenty of time before your vacation and she will be healed completely.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:03 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thank you... I'll schedule it for the third week in July. That's the feeling I got also...before she goes into heat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Let us know how things go for you. Sheena should bounce back pretty quickly, as Jill said. Most are done with absorbing inside stitches and the outer incision is glued so there is no need to return to have the stitches removed. They just tell you to keep the kitty calm for the first few days. There should be no complications and your kitty will be back to normal long before you leave for your vacation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:00 pm 
Senior Bengal

I made the spay appointment for the 23rd. My male (neutered) Bombay has tried to mount her this last week. I'm hoping she is not going into heat :-( I wanted to wait this long so she had sufficient weight gain from all the dietary and vaccination issues. She turned 5 months on the 3rd of this month, so she will be spayed at almost 6 months. The vet can't get her in any sooner. I just want this over already. She reacted so badly to her second 3-in-1 shot and I am quite anxious about the anesthesia. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's quite possible she is going into heat about now. Try to keep her separated from your male until the spaying is done. Spaying can be done on a pregnant cat, but it may be a little more invasive!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Keep us updated on how she handles everything. Best of luck, she is a very pretty kitty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Is your male neutered? Based on your post, it sounds like he may not be and needs to be as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:00 pm 
Senior Bengal

Yes, of course he's neutered! I did state that in my post. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

He only tried a couple of times...it may not have been an attempt to mount. I don't know. He grabbed some skin on her back and kept it in his mouth for a few seconds. She cried and pulled away from him. I haven't seen him do it again. I had him neutered back in November. Maybe he was playing. I just don't want her to go into heat before the spay because I heard it's not good health-wise. Does anyone know what the reason is??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry, I guess I did not completely read your post! At least you do not have to worry about pregnancy.

This is from a vet: "When a cat is in heat, the uterus and cervix become thick and swollen, and the blood vessels associated with the ovaries and uterus become engorged, making for a slightly bloodier, technically more demanding surgery. However, I’ve spayed many cats that were in heat, and it always turned out fine."

You don't have too much longer to wait. I think you'll be okay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:01 am 
Senior Bengal

Thank you, Sherry! I'm trying not to worry. If she didn't have such a bad reaction from the vaccination, I think I would be more relaxed right now! Two more weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know you'll be happy when this is over with and Sheena has recovered! With females, it takes a little longer, but let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi...the vet bumped up her spay appointment to TOMORROW. Seems the vet has a conference to attend on the 23rd (the original appointment). Pls say a little prayer that she will be ok. I think I'm more worried about her being in a cage for 36 hours than I am about the surgery. She does not do well in confinement. :cry: