[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - BACKYARD BREEDERS & FREE-ADS
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

After reading this topic about backyard breeders and free adds I'm afraid I've got to had my bit. When we were looking for our Bruno I did some research and found a breeder with a nice big website that stated all these different things, but when got there, we were promised so much. After seeing both parents, we left a deposit, went back a couple of weeks later to see how he was getting on and after this we felt like we were rescuing him not buying a pedigree kitten. After only being home for a week, we had the 1st case of cat flu and then 2 weeks later, the same again. After having Bruno for a couple of weeks decided to get him a mate. We went to a different breeder who again had nice big website, but wow!, the difference was amazing. Nice big chalets with kittens in, immaculate clean. When we left, they provided us with about 2 weeks of food and loads of toys (had none of that the 1st time round). So I'm not sure the big website means anything, I think you have got to meet the person selling and the kitten to make your mind up, the fancy website is just not enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:16 am 
Bengal Kitten

the definition of back yard breeder to me is someone who breeds just for the money , litter after litter and do not care for the health and welfare of the animal .... Happy Parents make happy & healthy kitten
They do not always register their kittens and you do not know whether they are cross or pure pedigree
They do not stick to the rules ie to let the kittens go from 12 weeks old and not 7-8 weeks old like we have seen before :sad:
They do not test the parents for nasty diseases , pk def & HCM - Fiv/felv
They do not give a sale contract

The potential should not feel like they are rescuing a kitten , all our owners feel upset and guilty for taking their kittens home and leaving mum behind and it should be the feeling that everyone get. At 12/13 weeks old the kitten is more than ready to go to his new home and be happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I always found most breeders did not have individual prices on the kittens but do have a section that states the kittens are priced individually depending on quality etc

I always just assumed that they would have to be editing their site all the time to put up exact prices and also the prices may change too.

I have looked at a ton of breeders and not one of them displayed the price. Once you contacted them though obviously they are happy to say

I don't see the Issue.

Also see lots of add's claiming the kittens to be Bengal when they are just striped tabby cats. Also see alot of "socked" bengals again tabby and white kittens. It does make me sad because people are still paying a few hundred pounds for these kittens. On the other side of the coin if they cannot tell just by looking at it that the kitten is not a bengal how much have they even looked into the breed?

my 2 cent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:26 pm 
Bengal Cat

Just to add I was recently duped.Please do your research and don't trust anyone regardless how their cats look or their house.I was told a big song and dance why my kitten didn't have papers.I have since found others who bought supposed bengals from the same breeder and their kittens were sick,deformed back legs,and possibly not even purebreds.I suspect mine may possibly be a Mix as well.So I wish I'd had done some more research and def not trusted someone because of their great story.All in all I love my cat and am glad to have gotten him outta there.This breeder had a free add as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are so many reputable breeders out there who do things by the book, vaccinate their kittens, give registration papers, allow you to visit and view the kitties, socialize the kitties with the family and pets. It's these BYB that give the industry a bad name. Research is everything Google is your friend, so check out everything. Free ads are a hint. Most great breeders have a website with a ton of information about their cattery. You're spending money on a cat ... make the kitten you're getting is worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To me, a backyard breeder is one who breeds simply for the money and does not care about the health of the mother, kittens, etc. They do not do vaccines or medical care for the cats. They breed the mother over and over and over again. This person appears to at least CARE about the kittens and took the time to get a quality stud for the female. It's possible she could provide papers for the kittens. Most backyard breeders cannot and will try to pass off cross breeds as purebred without papers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:23 am 
Bengal Kitten

i love a cat so pretty :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

In my country Bengals have a bad rep overall - our vet told us they call them "mad bengals" in their circles. She said they were the most difficult at checkups, and the owners seemed to be perpetually covered in scratches. I think of the warnings I've gotten from so many different people about this breed - warnings that are based on false information, warnings from rescues about their temper and most of all the fact that our country is so small, word travels insanely fast in pet circles. Especially when it comes to Backyard Breeders.
In 2010 the unthinkable happened. A highly respected Bengal breeder had turned "nuts". A pair of very sharp women discovered that she was keeping more than 100 cats (they managed to get 94 of them) on a farm. They were living in truly horrific conditions - 42 of them had to be put down because of various health issues. It was several complaints from buyers that raised suspicion, including but not limitected to digestive issues, resistant ear mites and eye infections.
The breeder had, over a period of time, turned from a respected breeder to a BYB. She no longer provided health certificates or proof of vaccination. She bred the cats and sold the offspring. Quite likely cheaper than any others, and people bought from her. Why shouldn't they? She was well known and respected.
She caused immense suffering and agony for those cats, they died in horrible pain and stress. And what was her punishment? She got a fine of 2250 USD. . .

This, and many other cases of badly socialized bengals from kitten mills have gotten the Bengal a bad reputation here. We have a couple of breeders, two of which are known for how much work they've put into socializing kittens. It is very different how it is done from country to country. Good socialization should be a matter of course, yet I hear it over and over again from people "I heard Bengals are unstable, I heard Bengals are wild and not cuddly like normal cats, I heard they have litter issues and attacks people". This is basically me at every conversation with someone who knows what a Bengal is. These are the stereotypes.

To me it is unthinkable to get a kitten younger than 12 weeks. It is just not done (mind the fact that it is highly illegal too).
Yet my closest family, the pet lovers, have gotten almost all their cats from stables or what I consider Backyard Breeders.
When you have a Maine coon breeder, mixing her purebreds with say, Norwegian Forest cat or Birman, then I consider that backyard breeding. Why do they do it? Because the kittens look adorable and HEY a they only cost 1/5 of a purebred. Mostly because you can sell them at 200$ each without papers or any health checks. Sure they have their first two vaccines, and sure they've gotten worm pills. But that's not the same as a purebred. Here, quality costs - the result of these bad breedings are that 2/3 of cats in DK develop dental problems - something that has never been seen on such a huge scale before. We all know that some breeds are more prone to hereditary problems. Put that together with no sterilization and bad supermarket food(yes, ALL supermarket food here is bad - I checked) and you've got yourself a virtual epidemic of sick cats. Sick cats that are breeding more sick cats.

I think I rambled a bit af the end, but Ijust can't help but feel so frustrated, especially at this time if the year.
65 kittens in the last month have turned up on the doorsteps of various animal rescue organizations, at landfills and in public forests. They find them drowned in lakes and rivers.
We are a small country - it is weekly that we hear, on national television, of the cruelty done to these kittens. Taped up in boxes with no air, no food, no water... It is almost unbearable.
This is what you support when buying from backyard breeders. Reckless, irresponsible, and with no regard for the cats or their health, breeding and the buyers are usually just the same. They continue the circle, making it hard for those who actually care to get a foot in the door. Buying a cat has become a maze to navigate with only your common sense and whatever information you can dredge up on the Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awesome post, DeathZhade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:52 pm 
Senior Bengal

I always see people on kijiji selling beautiful Bengal kittens. When I ask if they have papers, if they are registered or purebred, they say no. And I feel bad that people purchase them because doesn’t that leave a possibility there kittens could be genetically flawed or be a risk to health problems?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Also there are those online that don't even have a kitten to sell and are just trying to con people out of money. If they are not TICA registered run.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:33 pm 
Senior Bengal

How come purebreds are cheaper from a breeder than someone selling their bengals and aren’t registered? I am looking at bengals in the $1000 range. She is someone’s pet and doesn’t have papers or anything. I offfered $750 and she’s agreed to let me take her for this price. I can’t find any breeders near me who are willing to sell for cheaper than $800-$1000. I am in Canada. Is it possible to register a cat from a home with no papers or anything. I have her vet records that’s about it. I just don’t w ant to make another mistake, as I have lost my Bengal due to serious illness. And don’t want to make this mistake again. She’s a very beautiful cat, but don’t know anything about her parents or anything. She’s seems legit we have gone to look at her, taking our time deciding. Anyone have advice?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Without papers, you can't register her as a bengal. The lack of informatipn would account for the price, though honestly that sounds quite high to me give the circumstances. My main question would be, why is she being rehomed?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm 
Senior Bengal

Well, her reason is her student visa is almost up. She had to go back to her country and can’t bring her
With her. But then when we went to see her she said she doesn’t have to leave now. But was still selling her cat... she had a lot of other cats too. I did see her vet records, she’s vaccinated and everything. She’s getting her 18 months this week. I’m really sceptical...but everything about the cat seems fine..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next