[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Age of neuter and type of vet?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:21 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi all just wondering when you all think it would be appropriate or typical age to neuter my little guy?? He's approx 12 weeks. Also is a normal vet the right place to take him for surgery? I now take him around the corner but they aren't very familiar with exotic breeds it seems or does it not matter?
I also read ketamine is a no no is that correct?

Thank you.Just want to do what's right for him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ketamine for the cat or.... ? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think for vets, a neuter is a neuter. Some vets will do an early neuter, others do not recommend it until the cat is older. So check with your vet. The breeder had Raiden neutered at 11 weeks. You definitely want to have it done before the cat reaches sexual maturity and starts marking around your home. As for the anesthesia, I really have no idea what the vets use. I'm sure there are several on the market that can be used in veterinary medicine. Read up on all of them. Raiden is getting his teeth cleaned in August. I just tried to find the paperwork to see if they have on there what they use -- and, naturally, when you want to find something you can't!

If you're not comfortable with your vet (since I believe he claimed all bengals have rosettes, nor marveling), then find another vet. Here, they are around every corner. You need to have complete confidence in the veterinarian that cares for your pets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here is a vet website that talks about the types they use. I found the papers for Raiden and my vet is planning on using Isoflurane for the teeth cleaning.

http://www.allfelinehospital.com/types- ... thesia.pml

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:55 pm 
Bengal Cat

Fenstar lol for my cat my younger days are over ;)

Sherry your right it is the same vet. I feel comfortable with my other two they've fixed but not so sure about Taz. I found one the next city over who says they treat exotics as well. Im guessing about 16 weeks would be a good time? I def don't want spraying.Hes about 12 weeks now.Is it true some cats mature earlier? My cookie I got fixed at 6 months.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Male cats can reach sexual maturity at five months. So you want it done prior to that. 16 weeks is probably good. Go with a vet you feel confident with, although neutering is a simple surgical procedure. I don't think it really matters what breed it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:09 pm 
Bengal Cat

well made his appointment today for 3 weeks which will bring him to 15 weeks.Just wanted to get it scheduled.Made the appt at my usual vet.I did ask about ketamine just to be sure and she said most vets don't use it anymore and he wont be getting that.Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Let us know how things go for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:41 pm 
Bengal Cat

I will thanks again.Youve been so helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here in Switzerland where I live the vets want to wait till they are 5-6 months old before letting the cat get neutered or spayed. I had a good vet that understood that bengals are "ready earlier". The lady that breeds where I got my two from,she had a shock when her 5 1/2month girl Bengal was expecting. I am glad they are spayed now. Even though they wouldn't have a chance of being covered by a male. Hope things work out for you!