[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Coughing when purring
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Coughing when purring
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:13 pm 
Senior Bengal

Not my bengal....my other cat sporadically coughs when he purrs. He's a year old and has been doing it since a kitten. Anybody else ever hear of this? I'm researching...I don't believe it's asthma but I changed to Swheat Scoot litter to eliminate a dust problem. It's not a constant thing with him, just occasionally. Still, worries me. Anyone??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It can be so many different things. You can go crazy googling your post title! I know the vet asks me if Raiden coughs -- he has a Grade 2 heart murmur. Other things could be respiratory related. A complete checkup at the vet could probably tell you if something is seriously wrong. I've actually only seen Raiden cough a couple of times after devouring something super delicious! And that's just from stuffing his mouth too full.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:38 am 
Senior Bengal

He had a complete check up at the time of neutering, which was 6 months ago. He checked out fine. I got him at 3 1/2 months old and he was coughing a little then. Not much, maybe once a week. I attributed it to maybe a hairball, but he never threw one up. I am not big on vaccinations, so he probably won't be back to the vet unless he's sick, but I know if I take him they will want to knock him out for x-rays, take blood, etc. It's not that big of a deal, so I'd rather not put him through it. He did have roundworms and had to be wormed shortly after I got him. I was trying to find information about roundworms in the lungs, which is rare, but carries with it more serious symptoms than what he's doing. I talked to the breeder who told me that she's heard of coughing while purring.....caused by an elongated palate, but if it doesn't get worse I should not worry about it. I just thought someone else may have heard of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The coughing during purring happens. All you can do is listen for any change or frequency! If it gets louder and more croupy, then you need to get it checked out. I personally have never had a cat that has done this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:46 pm 
Senior Bengal

Since I changed his food to a better quality, the coughing has stopped. It's been about a week. Maybe he just learned to control his purring more efficiently so as not to cause a tickle in his throat. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It could have been food related! I know you've worked so hard to find the right food. I hope this is it for you and the coughing has finally stopped.