[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hi from michigan
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi from michigan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:56 am 
Bengal Kitten

My fiance and I just got our first kitty on Saturday. I researched bengals alot before contacting a breeder and I was only on the waiting list for a couple months. I completely surprised my fiance with it and she was extremely surprised and happy when I brought her home. One of the many reasons I wanted a bengal is because I am allergic to most cats.

She never stops meowing. I thought it was at first because she missed her mom(shes 10 weeks old and I just got her 2 days ago). But she stopped hiding all the time (took a couple days of cuddling her in a blanket and sleeping with her) and screaming like crazy. She wakes us up at 6(i used to wake up at 7). Even now that she doesnt hide and scream, she still walks around exploring meowing like crazy. When she uses the litterbox she announces it like shes proud of it LOL When she eats its like "meowmeowmeow" while shes chewing.

One thing I find weird is she likes to climb ALOT. I mean now shes hopping up on things sometimes but most of the time she would rather climb it.

Post subject: Re: Hi from michigan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum and the world of bengals. Congratulations on your little one. If you researched bengals, then you found out that bengals are very vocal. They cry for no apparent reason and they may cry a lot! This is their trait. And bengals love to climb, so you need a tall cat tree or shelves so your new baby can be high up! Your little girl is behaving quite normal. Your breeder also let your baby go a little early! Kittens get their social skills from their mommy. Most breeders won't let the kittens leave until at least 12 weeks.

Bengals also love to explore and are curious about everything. I'm sure she's running around getting used to every corner of your home. Raiden did the same thing the first time he was in our home -- and he cried the whole time, too.

Just enjoy your little girl. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Everything you described is perfectly normal for a bengal kitten. They meow about everything, get into everything, and are constantly searching for their next adventure. As she gets used to everything she will stop being so loud, but not completely silent. My two "talk" all the time and I have learned what each meow means and what they are wanting. The sooner you learn bengal talk the better off you will be. Just observe her behavior when she is making different sounds and you will soon connect the dots. As far as climbing instead of jumping, that's normal for a kitten too. She hasn't developed the muscle she needs to throw herself on things like adults do. And yes they tend to throw themselves instead jumping. They have no consequences or regrets lol. BB (my 3 year old girl) is a master jumper) while Mochi (my 15 week old kitten) has just now started jumping on to things. Trust me this is something you don't want to rush. For one kittens are clumsy and he scares the mess out of me very often and two, once they learn to get on tables/counters all is fair game and you end up with a big mess :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have been so busy I forgot to update with pictures, here she is:

We are planning on getting another one very soon since we love her so much and want her to have someone to play with since were gone at work all day. I feel like she gets bored way too easily. I also only have a small cat condo thing for her to play on so this weekend I might construct a big cat tree or something. I am a DIYer and the prices on cat trees are crazy since I feel I could make two for the price of one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She is a gorgeous kitty. Be aware of some issues that can come up with a second bengal. They may not get along very well in the beginning. They have to be separated and you have to swap their scents -- scent soakers are blankets, towels. They need to get used to the smell of each other before they see each other. The majority of bengals will eventually get along fine. Don't be overly concerned that your cat is bored as long as you spend a lot of time playing with her. Creating your own cat tree is a wonderful idea. You can get creative -- check out other cat trees for proper measurements for platforms, etc. Your kitty is growing!!! Your girl is now about 6 months old ... so if you're going to get a second kitty, now is the time to do it! Second kitties mean 3 litter boxes and not just one, double the vet bills, double the food bill .... and double the enjoyment. Good luck. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She's beautiful, congratulations!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:08 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ah! Cute kitty!

I myself am a new owner of a bengal (a 3 year old) and am learning all about the breed through our girl Khara. I found a book which might be helpful called "Catification" by Jackson Galaxy. In it, there are all kinds of ideas about how to provide ways to keep cats interested/stimulated (important for bengals) and people who have created some pretty cool cat "superhighways" and trees.

I would also caution on getting a second cat too soon. I am certainly not an expert on Bengals but do know that adding pets to homes can be tricky!

Best of luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jackson's book "Catification" is great, but most of the ideas that you're seeing cost a lot of money to put together. These owners went way overboard. But, you can get ideas on shelving, etc. Jackson is doing a second book on this as well. I love seeing what other people have done to keep their indoor kitties happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the replies everyone and the kind words.

I have just started building some wall "steps" for Xena. I also purchased materials to start on a kitty condo. I have to find some longer screws for the brackets on the shelf pieces but I will definitely be making a post about how I did everything.

I also bought some materials to make an extra large scratching post. I have to purchase the sisal rope online since it seems to be alot cheaper than any store by me.

I also put a deposit down for a little brother for Xena and she gets fixed next friday so lots of things happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, congratulations on the upcoming brother for Xena. Please read up on introducing the two kitties when the time comes. It's unlikely they will be best of friends in the beginning. It takes time and patience, but it can work out wonderfully where they become inseparable! You can be so proud that you a do-it-yourselfer! It's a lot of work assembling things for kitties, but they will ultimately enjoy all your hard work.