[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Dylan and me :)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dylan and me :)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello! My kitty, Dylan, has been a part of our family since January. He has brought so much laughter and awe to our home. He is also quite the instigator and mischief maker. My husband brought him home after finding him as a healthy stray near my sister's home. I wasn't expecting any new pets becaus I already had a small zoo - Ashley, a 16yr old calico; Misty, a 10yr cream calico; Jake, a 60lb shiba inu mix; and the new Christmas puppy - a terrier and maltipoo mix, Fynn. Now I had a 3rd cat and it soon felt like I had 10!

Dylan has a beautiful, marbled, and incredibly soft coat. I love that because I have cat allergies and his coat doesn't bother me at all - whereas my cat Misty sends me sneezing for an hour after snuggles. All of his feet have dark black pads. The racing stripes that go down his back are beautiful and he has gold eyes that are seriously reflective. Dylan has, what I call, a puma face - or that of a mountain lion. The "m" and spots on his tummy just round out his beauty, beautifully.

Dylan has made brushing my teeth near impossible in the mornings; he goes into a battle royale of sorts with Misty (my older kitty passed away in March); he plays and rough houses with the dogs; the cat can seriously jump and loves to climb stuff - even my WALLS! You can't eat anything without him being all up in your face. He talks sooooo much with all the chirps, yowls, meows, rumbles, and huffs. All of his sounds are for something different. Dylan is INSANELY intelligent, too. He will figure out any possible way to climb as high as he can so that he can look down on us. He also learned to flush a toilet just so he could watch it swirl around.

One thing is, I don't know if Dylan is truly a Bengal or not. Everything I have read fits him so perfectly but I have doubts because we got him as a stray. My husband speculates that he was "dumped" because he can truly be a handful (a nickname of his is "Demon"). I would really like to find out if he is. I know he isn't pedigree standard - he has too many "oopsies" like a kink in the tip of his tail.

There is so much about him that screams Bengal but I'm just not sure....

Post subject: Re: Dylan and me :)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to post a picture or a link to a picture (must be hosted somewhere online) so that we can see your beautiful boy. It's possible Dylan was a lost kitty. Many kitties simply disappear and some end up in new homes. We would love to see a picture of Dylan. Sounds like he has a lot of the bengal attributes, but we'll never know if he's a purebred bengal without papers.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

he sounds like a lot of fun! :lol: be great to see a photo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Dylan is an awesome cat. He is always making me laugh. I have been painting my entry way and he has decided that he likes to help me. He climbs up the ladder to help. If I get off the ladder, he makes it his personal climbing tree. He reminds me of a slinky coming back down. I am curious though, he does this huffing sound when he's playing... What would that mean? The pic of him laying on his side is when he was first brought home. The other two are recent pics (May 2015) of him now. What do you think? Could he be a bengal?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 am 
Bengal Kitten

He looks exactly like our cat Annie Buttercup who we know is 50% Bengal. The back markings are almost identical.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There seems to be an additional picture posted here. My guess is that Dylan is not 100% bengal. I'm not seeing the typical bengal back leg which is long and slender. It's difficult to tell with the tail. Dylan's face is stunning! You can have a cat ancestry test done and the results are about 90% accurate. There are even do-it-yourself kits on Amazon -- that may not be as accurate. The test only gives you similar characteristics in a DNA that relate to specific breeds. A lot of tabbies resemble bengals without the muscular body. The only way to tell 100% that a cat is a bengal is to have registration papers proving the parents are bengals. Dylan is a gorgeous kitty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much for the response. I figure he isn't 100% but he's gotta have some of the blood in him. I know that without papers I will never truly know. I have been trying to do as much research as I can because of how many characteristics and traits he has similar to the bengal's nature. He definitely isn't like any other cat I've had when it comes to energy and personality. Dylan is also an excellent climber and loves to play around water (he has almost learned how to flush our toilets just so he can watch it swirl around). I have never had to modify things around my house to acomadate such an active kitty. We put in shelving above his cat tree just so he can climb as high as he possibly can and he makes it look easy! He can also jump really high and when he does, it's almost like he's floating... His tail NEVER stops twitching! Dylan is a bit on the stalky side but he definitely has that wild cat stalker attitude when he is stalking any of us, lol. I have never seen a kitty become so low profile when stalking. Dylan seriously becomes as flat as a pancake! It's so weird to watch.

We also have two dogs that Dylan likes to run around and play with. Jake, who is a 60lb Shepard/shiba inu mix and Fynn, who is about 10lbs of maltipoo/terrier terror. They run around our house like its some kind of race track and obstical course! It's total mayhem when they're all running around. Dylan will rough house with Fynn (they're about the same size) and tease Jake and the chirps, growls, trills, and barks that come out of Dylan when he is playing is absolutely hilarious!

His coat is extremely soft and he has no real undercoat which makes me happy because he barely sheds (woohoo!). I also have cat allergies and have hardly reacted to him. Where as my kitty, Misty, who is a cream calico, makes my allergies go bonkers. It seems to have that "glitter" as well. I have tried to learn about "ticking" but I just get confused. Dylan's markings are extremely pretty and nothing like I've ever seen. I mean, the trade mark tabby "M" and his spotted tummy are exceptionally bold.

I will look into the DNA testing... I would really like to know if he has any ancestry there. I will try and post some more pics of Dylan soon. I have better body shots of him with his legs stretched out and some of his other traits. Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glitter is just that. Very sparkly and shimmers just like glitter. Many bengals have that. Raiden glistens in the sunlight. Let us know if you do any DNA testing on him. Would love to hear how it all works out.