[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Greetings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:52 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello, from myself and my cat Oberon. He is a nearly 9 month old possibly Bengal mix. We aren't sure his exact genetics as he was abandoned by his mother at 3 weeks old and brought into the clinic where my husband worked as a Veterinary Nurse. He is mackerel patterned rather than marbled but his face shape, ears, body type, as well as personality are all very much that of a Bengal. Everyone who sees him asks me straight off if he is a Savannah or a Bengal (people don't seem to know the difference).

Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to post a picture or a link to a picture of Oberon. That's quite a unique name! Most mackerel-patterned cats are tabbies. All bengals have tabby in them, but not all tabbies are bengals. It's very possible you have a mix. There is quite a difference between bengals and savannah cats -- mainly size. Personally, I see a lot of differences between a bengal and a savannah. I know Oberon brings a lot of joy to your life. Bless you and your husband for rescuing him and giving him a great home.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Will post pics soon. My net is down at home so using my cell phone. I can very much see the difference between Bengals and Savannahs but I did a lot of research.

Oberon's original name was Oliver but as he got older that really didn't suit him. So we decided to change it to something not too dissimilar but with an impish feel. Oberon is the name of the fairy king from Shakespeare's Midsummers nights dream. It suits him mich better though calling him demon might be more accurate. I kid but he really doea play very fiercely.

The main difference I see between him and a regular DSH is face shape. He has jowls but still a rather small wedge shaped head unlike a normal moon faced cat head. His ears are also rather distinct, they were huge for him as a kitten and angled differently that other kittens we have rescued. His has the slinky, graceful wild cat body type that Bengals have.

The first thing that gave me the idea he might be a bengal though was his meow...or lack of one. He has never in his life meowed. He instead makes this chirping like sound and he trills like crazy. I know other cats trill too though he is the only cat I have ever heard do it, I had to look up what it was online.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Here are the pics I have online of Oberon, he is a very high energy cat so getting a good shot of him is difficult. A lot of these pictures are at angles that don't capture the shape of his head and his slinky body.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tifa190 ... t=9&page=1

I have more pictures of him on my camera but they aren't online as of yet. Will try to upload them soon. All of the recent ones here were taken via my mobile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Its hard to tell on him but his stripes are broken sorta like enlongated spots and on his belly he has only spots.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He certainly has the "fuzzies." Based on the pictures, I don't believe he is a bengal. I'm not seeing any of the characteristics of one in Oberon. Bengals have rosettes or marbeling and I'm not seeing either one. Regular tabbies can have spots, but rosettes are different. As for the meowing ... bengals are highly vocal. They have an assortment of meows that they use, including trilling and chirping. Oberon is the cutest kitty, so sit back and enjoy him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:44 am 
Bengal Kitten

Oh I know he is nowhere close to a pure Bengal just wonder if he has some in his background. I think if he does its generations back. He is very vocal just not a regular meow, its either a harsh chirp sound most of the time or a trill which he does nearly constantly and I think its the cutests sound in the world. If he isnt bengal I worry that he is undersized cause DSH cats are supposed to be cobby bodied and he isnt at all. I would say he is semi oriental in body type with longet hind quarters. Question do Bengals have an undercoat cause Oberon doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

As I understand it, undercoats are for colder weather and usually shed in the spring but this is just what I found on the web. I'm no expert in undercoats.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

i think he might be a cross bengal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Whatever he is I love him to pieces. He is the most energetic, playful cat I have ever had. I probably shouldn't play with him the way I do which is to let him bite my hands through a blanket and in general rough house. He has toys he could play with but prefers to cuddle them. He has a bit of a stuffy obsession

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can use a toy under the blanket instead of your hands. Raiden loves wands toys (he prefers the other end of the wand and not the toy). I move the wand under the blanket and he plays like crazy. Nothing like a kitten to scratch up the hands.