It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Microchipping
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I called the vets last week to book appointments to have the boys microchipped only to be advised their policy means they cannot do this until they are 6 months old. Given that they will all need to be neutered around this time I have agreed to have the microchip inserted during this process.

Has anyone else came up against this? I thought that microchipping was a very straightforward procedure and my breeder advises that had I requested, she could have had the boys done at her vets prior to me collecting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:40 am 
The Boss

We microchip all kittens ourselves at home, occasionally the vets have done the odd one.

Normally a few days before they go to their new homes at about 14 weeks old!

Maybe its just their policy to do them at 6 months.....try calling another vet in your area just to see what they say about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:02 am 
Ouch! How do you do it at home? That sounds quite brave :)

My breeder advised waiting till we get the boys neutered, but only because it's quite a big injection and they'll be under anaesthetic so it won't be so unpleasant for them!

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:39 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ours were done at the same time as being neutered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:22 pm 
The Boss

It's a very big needle....but they hardly feel a thing if done correctly!

We bought the kit from identichip and had the training course.....not very nice to do but its in the kittens best interests.

Our chip are really clever, they read the temp of the cat/kitten and display it along with the id number. (they're called bio-thermo chips) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:27 pm 
With that many little leopards running about, I bet you have to use the chips to tell who's who sometimes? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

mmmm, seems like it is just the policy of the vet I use. I'm not sure what others there are in my area. Too be honest would be reluctant to change just for microchipping but do worry one of the little monkeys will escape - Loki has developed a real desire to escape whenever the front door is open despite having an outside space.

I'm also reluctant to put collars on them with all the bad press/stories relating to these (albeit my moggie does have one as she tends to wander a bit and I'm not convinced everyone would naturally look to scan for a chip in the event she got a bit lost!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:10 pm 
The Boss

If she did go missing and was handed over to any vet, animal centre, police station she would be scanned.....I've no doubt about that!

Every animal whether they be pedigree or not would be scanned....its just procedure, but thats only if someone handed her over to the proper authorities.....and didn't decide to keep hold of her for themselves!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My vet wouldn't chip The Pud until she went in for her neutering at six months. His reason was that she was a bit small and it was just easier all round to wait until then (and she would be under a general anesthetic so there'd be no danger of her killing him :wink: ).

The price of chipping a cat is very expensive, my horses vet only charges £10 to chip them, but the cats vet charges £27! I was almost tempted to say she was a minature spotted pony to get it done on the cheap :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:52 pm 
The Boss

I'd get your horsey vet to do the deed then if they feel confident to handle a cat.....same chips unless the other vet is using the bio-thermo chips!

Post subject: Microchipping
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:30 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Linda
I had the same problem with Rose recently, and Branwen last year. Some vets do want to wait until they are 6 months old. However, if they go outside (like in your run) there is always the chance they will escape, or even by accident from the house :( I went to another vet where the microchipping was being promoted that month, and ironically in june for Rose ! Since both cats were going to shows I felt it was a necessity as they cannot wear their collars because of identification reasons. Your regular vet won't mind :) I felt its best to be safe than sorry. But obviously its up to you. I paid £10.00 for a straight microchip and £15.00 for the bio-thermo one. As Meemonkey says, phone around.

Julie