[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Excessive fur loss
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Excessive fur loss
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this... I have two Bengals, one (Jagger) is looking beautiful, with a shiny, glittery coat, and very silky to touch. Hendrix on the other hand went through a stage of losing a lot of fur around his ears and back of his head. Every time he scratched clumps would come out. I did think he was just moulting as it had become warm, but it doesn't seem to be growing back very fast (this was about a month ago). He's not bald or have bald patches, it is just thin and doesn't feel as good as Jagger's coat. He has no rashes on his skin, he isn't grooming more or anything like that, no fleas as I check regularly...

They both have the same diet and the only thing I can think of that I changed was their spot on treatment. We went from Advocate to Broadline as that covered ticks. They go out and Jagger got a tick quite early in the season so I changed it. I'm going back to Advocate this month in case it is that has affected Hendrix, but wondered if anyone else had experienced this sort of hair loss at all?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Excessive fur loss
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Both my cats are currently being treated for itching and hair loss. Blondie has thinned her hair all around her neck by constantly scratching. I keep her nails cut, but at one point she even cut the side of her neck scratching. She is the more sensitive of the two but a couple of months ago Grace started itching too. She scratched a bald spot on the side of her neck and she licked and nibbled the fur off her abdomen. The vet and I don't know if it is food related or environment. They don't have fleas and get Revolution every 30 days. They spend a lot of time outside and it is there first spring so they may have allergies. They are eating a new protein (venison) and tapering off steroids. With the medication they stopped itching right away and the fur has been growing back. If the itching starts up again after their prescription runs out I think the vet will do some blood work to see if they are allergic to something in the environment.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here's some good info:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 41&aid=195

It could be a lot of things. If there isn't itching, then it may just be the normal hair thinning around (and on) the ears that happens with cats as they age.

I went through a bunch of this sort of thing with Serafina a couple years ago. She was scratching and biting her fur in a number of places. She definitely has some sort of allergy to flea medications, so I don't (and can't) administer those to her anymore :(

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think Indiya might have the same reaction to this broadlibe. I saw her scratching and lot of fur around neck area came off.
I want to go back and smack those vets who sell it.
Hope this is just temporarily and not for too long...

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I actually took off some of this treatment off her yesterday as she was licking it. Hopefully she did not get too much.of it in the end.
Gosh, what a nightmare.
Never listen to vets,never listen to vets-do your homework yourself.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you everyone, that's really helpful. Gut feel is the Broadline treatment so I'll switch him back to advocate and see if it grows back. If not, I'll take him to the vet and get him checked. It might also be an allergy from something outside. The pollen count is high here quite early this year, I know I'm suffering and they didn't go out until May last year so it might be something he didn't encounter last year.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just wanted to update- it appear that our fur loss has stopped after initial 2-3 days after broadline. But I did wiped some or most of it all on day 2, don't know whether it had any impact.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's good news. We both felt that Hendrix's fur is starting to feel silky again, although he still looks thin around the back of his neck and ears. It is nearly a month since his last application, and he has had March and April with Broadline, so next week I'll use Advocate on him and see if his fur recovers! Jagger can have Broadline as it hasn't affected him and he is the one who will lay in long grass and come home with ticks - plus it is so easy to apply and he is the problem one with spot on treatments. I manage to apply this one before he knows what is happening - which annoys him all the more but makes my life easier!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Update:

Definitely the Broadline - I have found a website (National Office of Animal Health - NOAH) which does say skin irritation and hair loss can occur with this treatment. It doesn't affect Jagger so his last treatment was still Broadline, but I have changed Hendrix back to Advocate and two weeks later there seems to be a small improvement so I think his fur is starting to come back. Hopefully his skin will be completely free of the treatment soon and he'll be back to normal.

Just thought I'd let all the UK users know about this website though as it is very detailed and I will be checking it in future before I use anything new on my boys!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My cats ended their steroid treatment and the itching had stopped. Their fur grew back and then I gave them their Revolution flea treatment and we are back to square one with the itching and fur loss. I just purchased a new box of 6 treatments too. I bet that is what is making them itch and pull their fur out. All this time I thought it was diet, brand of litter, pollen...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How annoying! :evil: These treatments aren't exactly cheap. Did the vet not think of the flea treatment possibly being the issue? It is so frustrating, I'm just thankful Jagger isn't reacting to Broadline as at least I can use it up - and it was because he lays in long grass and finds new friends in the shape of ticks that I changed it in the first place. Have you only just applied it? If its within two days, it might be worth trying to wash it off to reduce the effect.

I hope you find one that works for them both and they stop itching and may your two and my Hendrix grow their lovely fur back soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am surprised the vet never suggested the flea medicine could be the cause too. Last year Blondie had such a bad reaction to something, and her eyes and head itched so bad I had to take her to the after hours emergency vet. My vet knows about all that and how she had to wear a cone, take eyedrops for the itching, etc. It finally went away and now they are both itching around their necks. I gave them the treatment a couple of weeks ago. They have been on a strict venison only diet for the past 6 weeks so it doesn't look like the food is the issue here at all.

Last year I stopped using chemicals on weeds and canceled the Terminix pest control service. I have taken care of all that naturally which is a big hassle but better for all of us I am sure.

I saw two different vets about Blondie's itching. Neither one mentioned the Revolution could be the cause. I wonder if it is because they want to keep selling it and charging me for these big vet bills. Insurance doesn't cover all that much when no blood work or surgery is involved.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yea, Serafina had the same thing. She "mowed" her fur down on her belly until it was bare and raw. When I stopped the flea treatments it went away. I guess when you think about it we're pouring poison on our cat's skin. It's not that surprising that many of them have a slight problem with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Personally, I don't like having to administer toxic flea and tick treatment to Raiden. He has never had a reaction to it and it definitely works! We back up to acres of woods and ticks are plentiful back there. I know there are homemade remedies for fleas, but I don't know about ticks and ticks are the worst to get off cats, especially when I had a long-haired cat. I have to check myself for ticks and have already removed a few this spring. Flea infestation is horrible as well and they are in all yards. Even indoor cats need to be treated as these pests can come in on humans. I've never quite figured out the purpose of fleas and ticks except for making an animal's and human's life miserable. I'm sure they are food for some other creature higher up on the food chain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat