It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction advice
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi. I currently have an 8month old Male bengal, and hopefully will be getting a new 1yr old female. How can I introduce them safely to each other safely without using a "safe room" as I do not have access to a spare room or the fact that i have room. Is there a safe way to introduce the to each other? Would be greatly appreciated for any advice

Post subject: Re: Introduction advice
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The first thing you do not do is just place the new kitty next to your other kitty and wait and see what happens. The cats should remain separated at first. Even a bathroom can be a safe room for a cat, especially because you need to supervise all interaction between the cats in the beginning until you are sure they are getting along okay and you can't do that 24/7.

The age difference between the two isn't much and their size should be similar. There are a couple of things you can do. Feed them both in the same area -- not next to each other, but maybe on opposite ends of your kitchen. The cats will know the other is there, but will be concentrating on the food. You should have plenty of toys for the kitties -- so try to engage them both in play (not with each other) but with the toys themselves. They need to associate good things when they are put together.

Now, I've seen cases where two cats are introduced and get along great immediately. Know that your current cat has claimed the territory and a new cat with new smells is entering that territory. Make sure each cat has their own space. Multiple cat trees, multiple litter boxes. These are a must! It will definitely help relieve much of the stress for the cats. Also know that some times, the cats just don't ever get along -- even after years. you're just rolling the dice. So much depends on the disposition of the cats, their socialization, and how you handle the introductions. If you're stressed out, the cats will sense this.

Do not allow one cat to become overly aggressive with the other cat. Playing is fine, but growling and hissing and fighting is not. You'll have to keep them apart if that happens. We can always hope that they will become the best of friends, but give them time and let them do this at their own pace.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:33 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the reply. Its come in handy, they are both getting along fine but still have the odd occasion of the new girl (Mhia) hissing at the boy (Miloh). But I think that this has to do more
with Miloh trying to push her buttons all the time, I mean he just jumps at her when she isn't expecting and he knows that the she isn't looking, and also he chases her sometimes just to provoke her.
But nine times out of 10 they get along just fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is a little different reply than what you gave in your other post. This one makes it sound like they are doing great together. Your other post portrayed aggression from Miloh. As I stated, Mhia is new to the household and she brings with her new smells. It just takes TIME and patience. Monitor them when they are together. And if Miloh gets too rough, separate them. Give Mhia some space. She's new to the family and it can be overwhelming to the new girl on the block.