It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My 2 little darlings have decided that their fountain is not just a source of water, but a source of fun too and have been splashing water from their fountain all over the floor and walls. They have learned how to dismantle the 2 fountains that I have bought for them. I've tried the cheap and cheerful Petmate plastic fountain - I found that with the pump screaming, the fountain in bits one day when I got back from work. I then bought a Pioneer Pet raindrop fountain, thinking that it would be harder to take apart and much easier to clean - only the latter is true, it is much easier to clean than the petmate but the top comes off very easily and if caught the right way the top can be moved so that it is still connected to the pump, but the spout lays over the side of the fountain, putting all the water on the floor until you hear the pump screaming away. :-(

Anyway, I want to find a good solution to providing Ada and Babbage with drinking water that doesn't leave their room looking like a mini Venice. Ceramic seems to be the way to go, and I am looking for a fountain where they can access flowing water, but not ( unlike the teardrop ) have access to a pool of water to splash around. The top of the fountain should be heavy or secure enough that a cat can't lift it off.

Can anyone recommend me something that fits the bill and is available in Europe/UK ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd recommend a one-piece fountain. PetSafe makes some and Amazon in the UK sells them. I have the Pioneer teardrop fountain for Raiden and he won't even drink out of it! He's not a water bengal at all. He prefers to drink out of the bird baths when we're outside during the day. It appears both of your little terrors are in on the destroying of the fountain. LOL. Raiden does love to play in his water. I use the Neater Feeder which contains a lot of the splashing -- it may be something you can use for a couple of water bowls. It's inexpensive and the bowls are stainless steel. There wouldn't be any running water like a fountain, but the bowls would be harder to destroy and tip over.