[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hi from New Jersey
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi from New Jersey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:24 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi
My name is Carla and my Bengal is Cheetie Lee. She's my second Bengal Cheetah was my 1st he was a rescue that was allowed to roam as a delcawed cat. Cheetah died last year it tore me apart. In mid summer he started to not want to eat as much and became more aggressive. I had him on kitty Prozac for marking on and off. I made a mistake by not doing a biopsy when they thought it was IBD I started pred which I regret as it was too late to do a biopsy I was told. On his 3rd ultra sound they found a giant tumor that was not seen 4 weeks ago we did emergency operation and started chemo. 3 weeks it took for the cancer to spread the cancer was too aggressive over the chemo. Sept 17th we had our last trip to the vet and my heart broke. (I still mourn for him and we loved him with all his bad habits.) I planned on getting another but being on a few Bengal groups I heard too many stories with older Bengals and other cats (I do rescue so) I bit the bullet and started to search for a kitten. I learned alot from my search. I was looking for a kitten that would have Cheetah's green eyes. I know know that they change colors so no promises. I visited a few places no luck. I happened to find some Southern Jersey. So we took a ride they called her Cheetah she was the only one left and I felt this was a sign we changed her name a bit just because. I figured I get a Bengal from a Breeder thinking that I would not have problems (My Cheetah was only 9-10 when we lost him to lymphoma) Well to my surprise my little darling started to have loose stool a week after we got her. I have switched diets and she's done better with the HE Royal Cainin dry when I gave her flagyl no more loose stool stopped flagyl and it's back. So This is my intro I hope to fix this problem. She very petite and she her eyes are olive (not my green that I hoped for) but we love her to death. She has that Asian Leopard look in her face as in slender and her eyes. She's not a F1 or anything like that her parents are regular Bengals. I read that some of you have feed chicken to help with the stomach. So right now we trying this I do give her chicken also I feed her Applaws chicken canned.

Post subject: Re: Hi from New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Carla. Welcome to the forum! I am so very sorry to hear your lost Cheetah. Very tragic story! Congratulations on the new Cheetah Lee. It's fairly common for new kittens to get loose stools when they go to a new home. Stress can cause this. Of course bad bacteria in the stomach/ intestines will cause that as well. Antibiotics are meant as a short-term medication to clear up an infection of some type. You obviously have a good relationship with your vet and this is something they need to stay on top of until the condition is taken care of. You may also have to continue to try different types of foods to see if it helps clear things up. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks that's what I am doing with the food. I am a bit upset since my breeder didn't tell me but she did slip when I said he vomit the 1st few nights she mentioned she always did have a sensitive stomach. I was feeding what they feed her but did not help. When I questioned her she never answered me back so I am thinking maybe that's why she was still there and they said if I changed my mind they would take her back they would drive up. I know breeders do take their cats back but they seemed a bit eager unless they thought of breeding her as she was listed as show quality.

I am trying something right now that some of the people on the IBD group on facebook for cats all use it's powder I had gotten it for Cheetah but it came the day after we had to euthanize him.

I see that alot of the cats on this group have had loose stool I have had her for now 5 months now so I hope we can get this under control.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Cheetah,

Assuming of course that your kitten didn't have runny poo at the breeders, the usual strategy is to be "safe" and just feed exactly what she got at the breeders (if possible) for the first few weeks or so. That would give her the best chance to worry about acclimating to the new home with the least amount of stress, and also you can evaluate her health without concerns about what the new food might be doing to her. Then if you want to change up the food, do it slow (mix the two).

Incidentally, even after that period, many bengal owners do have problems with runny poo, and it's often a parasite. If you do a little perusing here you will find many many threads about TF. One characteristic is the REALLY strong (and bad) smell. There are other parasites as well.

Also, I know how it is to lose a pet that you really loved, but go easy on the comparisons between your old and new cats. Just remember that your *next* cat you'll be comparing to this one, so might as well get on with appreciating her now.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you post some pictures :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I did feed her what they were feeding her I took a scoop home and next day went to Petsmart got the same food wet and dry she had normal stool until a few days after being at the house. So that's what's strange. I am trying a diet for gastro and HE RC is good for kittens so that's what we are now.

I figure have to try this for awhile I do see she has alot more energy then she had before so the High Energy part is there. I assuming she had some issue at the breeder's with stomach issue for whatever reason and didn't pass that on. Maybe they felt that I would return her once she started to show some of the issues but once I have a cat it's for life good the bad and the ugly no matter what I don't give up my cat for an issue we just work and try to fix it.

She is the Queen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd just keep her on this new food you have her on and no go changing as it takes some time for the digestive system to adapt to a new food, especially for a kitten. Hang in there. You'll get it right!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

About how long do you think it will take for her about a month? I know changing food often is not good. Of course my last Bengal had no stomach issue but did die of lymphoma but he never showed any signs at all until the last 6 months when he started to be fussy

Once I can get her to eat normal then after a few months with no issue I would like to get off the script diet and go grain free. If I can get her back to normal.

I would try raw as my next diet if this doesn't work with the script diet.

I know alot of people do raw I rather not as I have other cats but if that's what it comes down to I would. I do give my cats a little raw as a treat.

My last resort will be to do the test for the TF test.

My cat was fine when we got her so I would assume she doesn't have it. When we had Cheetah down in Red Bank for his IBD/Lymphoma and seeing a internal medicine Dr for him I asked her about it thinking maybe that's what he had since we were at the stage where he had Diarrhea was starting loose not running. She said that he didn't have it as he would be dripping all the time if he had that. Is that true? I hear alot of people saying since she's a Bengal she may have TF cos she's from a breeder.

As I mentioned my breeder has 2 females one male all indoors all the time they are not in outside closures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Every cat is different, and it may take a month for the stomach to settle down to the one food. Changing a cat's diet will cause digestive problems, especially going to grain-free or raw. Their system is simply not used to it. Most recommend mixing the food to gradually wean then onto a new food. I just think your baby has a sensitive stomach/digestive system. You may have to keep her on one particular type of food for her not to continue to have problems.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:39 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks Sherry that's what we are doing right now using RC Gastro HE dry and wet I am still giving her what I have been. I can't give her much wet seems more wet food she has more loose stool when I got her they gave her a 1/4 can 2x a day and dry. She didn't want to eat the dry when here (same thing she was eating there I gather the stress) so I gave her more of the wet they were feeding her and she started to have loose stool. At least no accidents in a few weeks 2 or 3 times she went in the living room not sure why she ran around playing afterwards so not sure if she was not feeling good pooped then felt better. I never had a cat that went outside her box. I hope in a month or so she has normal stool if not will have to discuss with my vet. For now she's a happy kitten. She doesn't like rides to the vet she hates the car moving. Once we are the vet she's a mush to everyone there that's her extremely sweet and I love everyone time.