It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:44 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi my Bengal male kitten will jump on and chase our 9 year old cat. She just wants to be left alone. We have bought an outside cage/run for the kitten. He is now 4 months old and full of life and needs to be able to run about. The run is 6x6x6 feet . It is still a little cold outside but he goes into it for a short time every day, mostly to allow our older female moggy to come and go as she pleases into the garden. He seeks her outin the house and hunts her relentlessly. I am not new to cat owning I have had cats for over forty years only one has been a Tonkinese and was very docile. The other were mostly rescue cats who had their spats but got on and ate together.
Any tips would be useful. He has toys and play stuff and we interact with him, we also bought a plug in Fellaway thinking it may help settle both of them. He has now been neutered not to try and calm him down but we have no intention of breeding him.

He is a little comic and I love him but any advice would be great. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your kitten is a not only a kitten but a high-energy bengal and he wants to play! If you're not engaging him in play throughout the day, he's going to look for something to play with -- and it appears to be your older cat who has no interest in this little guy! A new black kitty has entered her territory and it doesn't appear she's happy about it! This happens a lot. I think you have to wear the little guy out so he's not so much of a pest to your other cat -- give the kitten a lot of high places to go. Make sure your gal has some places she can go to get away from him and sleep in peace. The run sounds like a great idea, but it sounds like you should have gotten TWO kittens and they would probably leave your older cat alone. It's just like a little toddler wanting to hang out with your 13 year old -- the age difference and behavior is immense and they are not going to want to hang out together.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the reply. I have gotten into a pattern of letting out of his night cage, which is for his own safety as he chews wires. I feed him and he gets lots of petting and playing then he is in his run while our other cat gets the freedom of the house and outside. He has loads of toys and things that swing and he also has a kennel with a sheepskin rug, a litter box and food and water. He is a happy wee soul but I hope they eventually tolerate each other. When you said two kittens my partner nearly had a heart attack. He thought we would be getting a wee fluffy chocolate box kitten not an Exocet missile. Happy days. X